PDA

View Full Version : oh crap, scratches, help!

greese
08-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Hey Mike - Made a bad move the other day. Needed a quick wash so I stopped by one of the DIY car wash. Soap, brush, rinse and outta there. All was good until I got home and really looked at what happened. In the sun I could see tiny scratches all over the car. I realized that dang brush must have done it 'cause I could see exactly the pattern of a brush and I mean all over the car. (Duh, right?) Oh crap, I did it now and ruined the paint. It's a 1996 black volvo so the paint was not that good but now totally worse. Okay, so I've got a PC and willing to take some time to get it right but I don't want to break the bank to get it done. I was looking at the Poorboy stuff like SSR 2.5 and then 2. Anyway, what do you really recommend as well as pads. It's all so confusing. I'm so glad I found this forum and looking forward to the help. I'm a baby drinking milk here so speak english to me. Thanks!

Mike Phillips
08-25-2009, 08:13 PM
I stopped by one of the DIY car wash. Soap, brush, rinse and outta there. All was good until I got home and really looked at what happened. In the sun I could see tiny scratches all over the car.

I realized that dang brush must have done it 'cause I could see exactly the pattern of a brush and I mean all over the car.

It's a 1996 black volvo so the paint was not that good but now totally worse.

Okay, so I've got a PC and willing to take some time to get it right but I don't want to break the bank to get it done. I was looking at the Poorboy stuff like SSR 2.5 and then 2.

Ouch! I feel your paint, err I mean pain. :(

I'm I haven't used the Poorboy's newly reformulated products yet but like a lot of product lines, their on the list to use on a future project car. I checked with Dwayne and he suggested maybe going with the SSR 2.5 (http://www.autogeek.net/pbmssr16.html) and follow that with the newly re-formulated SSR1 (http://www.autogeek.net/pblsr16.html) for a finishing polish.

The Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and SwirlX are pretty good for this kind of thing if you want to give them a try too.

If you have a first generation PC then you really need the smaller size pads for the correction work, what do you have for pads?

:)

greese
08-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Yeah Dwayne had gotten back to me so I was just looking to see what some other thoughts were. For the PC, I've got the 7336SP. What do you suggest for pads.

Mike Phillips
08-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah Dwayne had gotten back to me so I was just looking to see what some other thoughts were. For the PC, I've got the 7336SP. What do you suggest for pads.

Any of the 5.5" for large flat panels and the 4" for thin panels or more correction power on large panels. 4" pads are too small to simply do light cleaning on a large flat hood. Can it be done? Sure but you're only working a 4" diameter section and if you overlap your passes then it will take forever to go over a hood.

The most important factor for removing swirls and scratches with a tool that has a clutch is to keep the pad spinning and with the first generation PC's as well as any PC type polisher this is done best with smaller pads versus larger pads just for the simple reason of surface area contact.

Have to go, have a car in the garage to buff out.

:)

greese
08-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Okay so I'll go with what Dwayne recommended and use an orange lake country pad with the SSR2.5 and white pad with the SSR1. Thanks for the help.