PDA

View Full Version : Storing Waxes and other Products

DLB
08-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I understand the generally accepted answer is to keep your products at room temp.
I have questions though.
Room temperature is the standard given on lots of things, and is around 68°F to 77°F.

So, what products are critical to keep at this temperature in the detailing world? Paste waxes, liquid waxes, sealants, polishes, etc. What determines a good threshold of how much heat or cool a product can stand before it loses its effectiveness?

I live in Northwest Georgia. In the summer, expect it to be so humid you can eat the air for lunch and around the mid 90's thermometer reading (much higher heat index). In the winter, it can get down to low 20's and even teen's, but hovers in regularly the 40-50's.

My garage is not heat/cooled. So the temperature fluctuates in there highly dependent on the outside temp.

I am trying to decide if I should move certain products inside, and if so, which ones?

Thanks!

Jeremy
08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
As of now I just keep my clays and paste waxes in the house

Blackthorn One
08-25-2009, 11:45 AM
I would say that you should put everything that evaporates in the house.

DaGonz
08-25-2009, 01:32 PM
When the temps consistently reach 40, I put everything into plastic storage boxes and bring them from the garage to the basement and take them out as needed.

eddie6th
08-25-2009, 02:55 PM
I get temperatures going into the 100's every summer.

I keep all my products in the lock-up. I havn't had any problems.

Some of my earlier waxes are 8+ years old and still have normal consistency and work fine. They are actually past the recommended life.

But if you're unsure,keep in a cupboard in the house.

Dwayne
08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Keep the liquid products away from extreme heat and freezing temperatures. Also,shake them up really good every once in a while to keep them in suspension.

ScottB
08-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I find a dark cabinet in garage away from the wall seems to work well. Doesnt seem to hold the heat. I often wonder about putting all paste waxes in a cooler stored somewhere else however.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-25-2009, 04:36 PM
All my waxes are in a wine cooler and my polishes stay in the house.

Rsurfer
08-25-2009, 07:33 PM
All my waxes are in a wine cooler and my polishes stay in the house.With all the expensive waxes you have, I would keep them in a safety deposit box at a bank.

loudog2
08-25-2009, 07:45 PM
All my waxes are in a wine cooler and my polishes stay in the house.
I need a waxerator also.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-25-2009, 07:56 PM
With all the expensive waxes you have, I would keep them in a safety deposit box at a bank.

Lol, thats what I need. One that is in a cool controlled climate and I would be set. I can start a wax bank.

DLB
08-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

DLB