PDA

View Full Version : Black spots on my truck - artillary fungus

Pages : [1] 2

Dmonies
08-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Black spots on my truck - artillary fungus (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/20183-black-spots-my-truck-artillary-fungus.html)

i have " Artillery Fungus" on my truck. it is a from a mushroom that shoots the crap out 20ft into the air.

i can sometimes scratch them off with my finger and easily clean it off. other times i can just take it off the top of the spot. what could take this off?

here is a picture i just puled off the web.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/ArtillaryFungus.jpg

:)

SpotlessDetail
08-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Clay bar?

Dmonies
08-24-2009, 09:02 PM
im real new to this, if goo gone wont take these spots off will a clay bar?

GMC83
08-24-2009, 09:09 PM
maybe

Dmonies
08-24-2009, 09:11 PM
i will try this sometime this week and post back with pictures.

BlkTAWS6
08-24-2009, 11:00 PM
if you dont want to clay your truck, especially if its all over it, try and get some tarminator. use a pressure sprayer, too, it should help.

Mike Phillips
11-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Just took a call from one of our customers that has black spots on the white paint on their car from artillery fungus.

I did a little Googling and one suggestion was to use something acidic like vinegar to loosen the bond of the fungus so it can be washed off.

Besides that other options would be claying or using a decontamination product like the one offered by Finish Kare.

Anyone else have a sure-fire remedy for this type of paint care problem?

(I've never had to deal with it)

Mike Phillips
11-29-2011, 10:39 AM
If anyone ever has a chance to get a really good picture of this on their car or someone else's car please do and send it to me via e-mail. (mike.phillips@autogeek.net)

Thanks,

:xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
11-29-2011, 12:10 PM
i will try this sometime this week and post back with pictures.

Keep in mind:The longer you wait..the more difficult it will become to remove the spores!

1.) Keep the affected areas of the vehicle continuously 'wetted' while rubbing, ever so gently across the spore with a microfiber towel soaked with hot soapy water. When the spore has been removed, it would be a good idea to check the MF towel for its remains, and dispose of it, before tackling the next spore. Etc., etc......

2.) Or, try the same process, except with a MF towel/turpentine gentle rubdown....again with the affected areas 'wetted'.

There will be, no doubt about it, the necessity of polishing the "stains" left by the spores to your desired results...and an application thereafter of an LSP.

Hope this will work for you....these spores are a real PITA. Stay away from mulch beds, if possible.

Bob

aerogt01
11-29-2011, 02:26 PM
I would try something that can break down organic compounds (think bug remover).
Some things that come to mind are
- TarX
- Bug Squash
- OPC

Not a specific recommendation, just some ideas.

Mulligan
11-29-2011, 09:42 PM
I have seen it a lot lately though I have no photos. It seems to be very prevalent here in the northeast right now.

I worked on a brand new silver Touareg with a few specs. It is parked outside next to mulch beds. I had success with Megs Mild Clay. The problem was some faint brown discoloration remained. A light polishing with M205 did the trick from there.

The fungus appears to be attracted to light colored objects. PSU has some useful links if you want to read up on it. The longer it is on the paint the harder to remove. If clay doesn't work perhaps gently using a plastic razor and then the polishing route.

I've also read that cedar mulch in lieu of hardwood mulch may prevent future outbreaks.

Flash Gordon
11-29-2011, 09:48 PM
it is a from a mushroom that shoots the crap out 20ft into the air. :)

I would like to see this :)

When you get that crap off, invest in a cheap car cover

goathead
11-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Ugh, I deal with this a lot and haven't found an easy way yet. I've found the clay to load up with just the top part of the fungus and can scratch the paint leaving the spots behind.

Any thoughts on using a plastic razor blade? I'll have to try vinegar.

Paul Mitchell
11-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Use "search" above and type in artillery fungus. Other people have also had this problem and something in their posts may help you.

Hoytman
11-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Mr. Phillips,
If it's indeed a spore, like mold, then any of the chemicals used by company's such as Serve Pro, and Paul Davis in mold remediation should take care of this.

As far as I know, a product called Shockwave used in that industry should eleviate any issue with this type fungus, as it's used to spray down, and wipe down some seriously toxic mold spores.

I've personally used the product mentioned above for this purpose, in this line of work. It's highly concentrated, has a good smell, and it works or these companies couldn't use and stay in business...and it's a high dollar business. I've never seen an MSDS on it, but I've gotten it on my skin with zero issues, and no inhalation issues in confinded spaces.

I'm pretty certain it would work on paint to remove this fungus, and I'll go out on a limb and say it may not harm the paint either...

...else they couldn't use it as they do in the industry. It's used to wipe anything and everything down in a home, or building, that may have mold spores on it. From wiping down shoes, glassware, counters, to the studs in the walls after the wallboard is removed.

It might be worthwhile to check into it. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Shockwave is the name of the product I used, but I'm sure there are others. Perhaps calling a company like Paul Davis, or Serve Pro could lead to other products for similar use.