PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaning question

tradertcb
08-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Wheels are on my 1984 Porsche 928S which I have owned since new. The clear coat is worn off and a well meaning detailer apparently sprayed wheel cleaner on them in the hot sun. Disaster immediately. They now look worse than they have every looked. White streaks dripping down which dried. I guess he tried to get them clean but couldn't. I refrained from expressing myself with tremendous self restraint. I believe the wheels are aluminum.

Suggestions on what to use on them at this point would be appreciated. I will be doing the work. I have a new Griots machine and all the pads I might need. I am thinking I need a product which will remove the damage and polish.

Rsurfer
08-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Looks like you'll have to have them refinished. Any pictures? Opps, first post. :welcome:

Jimmie
08-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Looks like you'll have to have them refinished. Any pictures? Opps, first post. :welcome:
:iagree:. Never experienced it firsthand but have heard enough stories on here to think that whatever product he used stained them. Sorry. It has caused some companies to develop a product just for aluminum. Hope that there is an easier answer. Maybe someone will chime in with a solution.
OH, and :welcome: too.

2003 GMC Denali
08-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Sucks about your Rims !

AUTOGEEK sells this product...

Wurth Silver Wheel Spray Paint (http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-silver-paint.html)

Also, post your thoughts on the new Griot Buffer when you get a chance. I`d like to hear about a fellow Griot`ers experiences.

ScottB
08-24-2009, 04:54 PM
uncoated wheels will stain and etch rather easily with acid based washes. I would have them sent out to be professionally refinished as they will always be an eye sore to you. You can try a metal polish and fine steel wool (quad zero) but tread lightly.

Blackthorn One
08-24-2009, 05:46 PM
uncoated wheels will stain and etch rather easily with acid based washes. I would have them sent out to be professionally refinished as they will always be an eye sore to you. You can try a metal polish and fine steel wool (quad zero) but tread lightly.
What about brass wool?

ScottB
08-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I would tread very lightly ... dont know the cut/rating of brass wool.

InTheBuff
08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
What about brass wool?

You are actually talking about BRONZE wool. I use it around the house where I do not want the rusting problem with steel wool. I honestly do not know how it would fair on aluminum wheels.

Have you considered polishing the wheels? It seems like many folks go for the high shine once the wheels start to corrode. Does the acid etching look like the white corrosion that forms under clear coats?

I fear though, if you want a machined look to the wheels, you will have to send them out to be re-cut.

Fred114
08-25-2009, 05:44 PM
I had polished aluminum wheels once which I sprayed the wrong cleaner on. Got white streaks immediately. Nothing would touch them but aluminum polish. I believed I used Mothers, cleaned them up well. But I would think a detailer probably knows this and tried this, so it could be a different problem.