PDA

View Full Version : Pad Powder?

HealthyCivic
08-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Mike,

The other day I pulled out my G110 and put on a used (but clean) yellow polishing SoftBuff 2.0 pad. I shook up the product and put it on the pad in a "cross" formation. As soon as I put the pad on the paint and fired up the DA, tiny yellow pad particles shot all over the front of my just-washed car. I added more product and tried again and the same thing happened.

Finally, I was short on time and needed to get this done without making a bigger mess so I sprayed the pad with Last Touch and then continued and it minimized the amount of pad particles. It should be noted that I've owned the pad for a while and only used it a few times. However, one of the times I used it was during an intense paint cleaning session that lasted around 6 hours and the pad is somewhat "bumpy" from the heat and cleaning.

Have you ever experienced this? Thanks.

loudog2
08-23-2009, 02:07 PM
You need at least 3-4 of each pad. Once the pad gets caked with polish, it isn't doing anything any more. The pad was probally completely saturated during the 6 hours of use.

HealthyCivic
08-23-2009, 02:14 PM
You need at least 3-4 of each pad. Once the pad gets caked with polish, it isn't doing anything any more. The pad was probally completely saturated during the 6 hours of use.

So when I start start doing more peoples' cards, I need to charge them for a pad each time I do stuff like that? I didn't know that 1 major detail would total a pad.

A4 1.8tqm
08-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I have an Orange LC pad that flakes a little when I first use it. One detail shouldn't total a pad, as loudog said you should have a few of each. That way your not using the same pad for hours on end caked with product.

loudog2
08-23-2009, 03:33 PM
So when I start start doing more peoples' cards, I need to charge them for a pad each time I do stuff like that? I didn't know that 1 major detail would total a pad.
What??? I'm just saying to use 3-4 pads per vehicle, then clean them afterwards. Once the pad is caked and saturated, it is not doing sh*t. So no you don't need to charge people for a pad.:dunno:

Rsurfer
08-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Not exactly, but your product and overhead (gas, ins, taxes, rent if any, replacement of tools, etc.) should be factored into your price for each car you detail.

ScottB
08-23-2009, 05:42 PM
pads in general should not deteriate and fall apart after only one use. Sometimes the harsh cleaners can damage the foam and why I suggest a dedicated cleaner like DP Pad Rejuvinator.

BlackSunshine01
08-27-2009, 08:00 PM
so how do you guys clean your pads other than the grit gaurd pad washer?

Rsurfer
08-27-2009, 11:20 PM
so how do you guys clean your pads other than the grit gaurd pad washer? You can use a dedicated pad cleaner or Dawn Power Dissolver.

BlackSunshine01
08-28-2009, 12:46 AM
so you just let them soak and then just give them a scrub with a pad brush?

A4 1.8tqm
08-28-2009, 07:12 AM
My process:

1-Quick rinse under running water to get the majority of product out.
2-Let them soak in pad cleaner a few minutes or even overnight.
3-Work out any remaining product squeezing them several times fully submersed, ring out all the water and repeat until satisfied.
4-Rinse under running water
5-Spin dry on polisher
6-Squeeze dry with MF
7-Air dry face down on MF
:cheers:

f150smith
09-01-2009, 06:31 PM
You didn't say how old the pad was or how you had stored it since purchasing or using it.? It sounds like the pad has dry rotted from being stored in a hot buidling or near something hot and dry. Any type of foam product will dry rot, even new unused pads over time and the hotter and drier the storage area the quicker they will rot.