PDA

View Full Version : I've tried

oldude
08-22-2009, 05:44 PM
honestly I have tried, but there is SO much info here. I have learned that there are over 100 best waxes; sealers;glazes etc.
Would you help an old slow guy out? We just got a 2010 Toyota Camry in spruce mica. A deep green with gold mica flakes I would like to keep this car looking and running like new as it will most likely be our last new car. What prods would be good on this color? Exterior and interior. I know it's been asked a thousand times before so I apologize for the redundancy.

Meghan
08-22-2009, 07:11 PM
If it was my car, I would put Pinnacle Signature Series on it, and make sure you keep a good protectant on the interior since you plan on keeping it, 303 would be good.

Mike Phillips
08-22-2009, 08:19 PM
This answer is more onthe vague side than what I usually post but just the same and that's once you find a system you like like then use it often.

Unless the car spend most of it's time in the garage, than it will only go downhill if neglected over time.

So "Find something you like and use it often"

:)

oldude
08-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the Pinnacle Signature Series. Mike; I guess that is kinda vague LOL. I thought Turtle wax Ice looked ok on the Harley. then I found this site.

HighEndDetail
08-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Like Meghan said Pinnacle Sig Series, or maybe DoDo Juice Hard Candy or four star upp
Interior DP Interior Surface Protectant or Pinnacle Vinyl and rubber Protectant
If has leather Duragloss 221 leather cond. or Pinn leather cond.

And Mike's quote
So "Find something you like and use it often"

Emile
08-23-2009, 01:34 AM
I really like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant because it's easy on and easy off, it has good durability, and it looks great on any color vehicle...it has the warmth and depth of a carnauba wax with the slick and sharp look of a sealant.

Optimum Car Wax and Poorboy's Natty's Red Paste Wax are both great waxes that really bring out the metallic flake in any metallic paint. I suggest two coats of the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (DGPS) and regular applications of Optimum Car Wax or Natty's Red on top of the DGPS. Of course, DGPS is also awesome on its own. :dblthumb2:

As for interior, 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium.

Nappers
08-23-2009, 02:27 AM
Check this out:

2008 Lexus IS 250 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19994-2008-lexus-250-pinnacle-detail.html)

There is a ton of information and is overwhelming. I like and use Meguiar's products but recently ordered some Do Do Juice waxes to try out and I like the above article and may try some Pinnacle stuff someday when I get low on my Meguiar's stuff.....

If you know nothing, then a good 5 step here and there will keep that car looking great:

1) Wash - use 2 buckets and recommend getting Grit Guards, grit guards keep the grime in the bottom of the bucket and out of your wash mitt. One bucket for your car wash and one bucket for rinsing your wash mitt. Wash one panel at a time, rinse, rinse your wash mitt out and wring out and wash another panel or section. If it's really hot out and no shade, do smaller sections and rinse off, you don't want water spots. Oh yeah, wash wheels first. Ton's of wheel cleaners out there but try to scrub with the car wash first then if needed use a wheel cleaner. Wheel cleaners usually strip wax off of your wheels so, you will have to re-apply wax to your wheels. I like to "flood rinse" when I'm done, take sprayer off and run water without a sprayer full blast and let it run off of the car, a nice waxed car and the water just runs off leaving hardly any to dry off.

2)Clean - Get a clay bar and a clay lubricant (In the above article Mike uses the Pinnacle clay kit). You won't believe how much gunk you pull off of your paint. Claying is easy, spray your clay, spray a section, run clay over the section, wipe off. The paint will be baby bottom smooth! Claying also removes the old wax and prepares the surface for new wax.

3)Polish - Getting scratches/Swirl marks out of your paint. A pure polish is an option but a great option, if you like it, use it. If you paint correcting, start with least aggressive product you will choose. It's easier to go up the ladder than use a too strong of product and cause problems that take longer to fix or worse.

4)Protect - Put 2 coats of wax on your car. When putting wax on, make it THIN and remove as per the Swipe Test in above article. I usually wait an hour or so before putting second coat of wax on, others wait 12 hours or so....

5)Maintain - proper washing and maintaining will keep the car in great shape! After washing I use a quick detailer or spray wax as an inbetween waxing to boost the wax.

Mike uses a machine in the above article and if you are doing things by hand, plenty of others will chime in to give you advice in what to use.

I use Meguiar's as mentioned and I haven't had the opportunity to try other products that AG has to offer but plan on it as I've read some good stuff about them, so others will chime in with their experiences :xyxthumbs:

Having some good quality Micro Fiber towels in your arsenal offered by AG is a must too! They won't cause swirling when removing your waxes/drying/polishes/paint cleaners etc etc.

ScottB
08-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Pinnacle SSII or DPMaxWax ....

2old2change
08-23-2009, 09:29 AM
If you still find it too hard to decide on any certain product then some of the members will trade samples of various items. Buy something to try and if not sure then trade a little to others. Type in samples or trades on the search selection. Hope this helps out some.

Paul S

ryandamartini
08-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Pinnacle SSII or DP Maxwax will make that color a mirror.

Poorboys Natural Look on the interior vinyl. Pinnacle Leather conditioner or Poorboys Leather Stuff.

oldude
08-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. Now I have to get a list together.

Laura
08-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Mike uses a machine in the above article and if you are doing things by hand, plenty of others will chime in to give you advice in what to use.

Anybody have some advice for products/applicators for polishing by hand? I've got a few minor swirls and some water spots I need to remove, but I'm just not ready for the PC yet.

Nappers
08-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Anybody have some advice for products/applicators for polishing by hand? I've got a few minor swirls and some water spots I need to remove, but I'm just not ready for the PC yet.

I primarily use Meguiar's products and learning by reading on the other great stuff AG sells.....

I use the following by hand mostly:

Meguiar's M105
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
Meguiar's SwirlX
Meguiar's ScratchX (haven't used 2.0 yet)

Start least aggressive first, probably SwirlX and work your way up.

Our Dodge Neon has a hard as nails clear coat and after 3 passes of SwirlX on the paint, it was shiny but swirls still present, I went up to UC and after a couple of passes it knocked down the swirls, I then followed up with SwirlX on a final pass and put my wax down.....