PDA

View Full Version : Honda Dirt Bike Plastic Polishing?

CharlesW
08-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda dirt/racing motorcycles seem to have the color all through the plastic parts.
Any suggestions For cleaning and polishing the fenders, tank, side panels on a dirt bike being prepped for sale? Not major scratches or gouges, just scuffs.
Prefer something that will work by hand or with a PC.

detail viking
08-22-2009, 11:23 PM
I would try Poorboy's Pro Polish or 2.5 if you have either one.

ICEMAN
08-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda dirt/racing motorcycles seem to have the color all through the plastic parts.
Any suggestions For cleaning and polishing the fenders, tank, side panels on a dirt bike being prepped for sale? Not major scratches or gouges, just scuffs.
Prefer something that will work by hand or with a PC.

Yes, the plastic is not painted, it is all the way thru. Scuffs can be covered up by SC1, available at most local motorcycle shops.

SC1 is a layer of SHINE. lol. It does not polish, clean, or anything else. It just sits and shine. wears off in about a week! but it covers up scuffs with the color of the plastic. so the scuffs appear to be gone!!

Mike Phillips
08-25-2009, 08:34 AM
I've tried buffing out numerous gas tanks and fenders and to be honest I've never had much luck getting the surface to look new, as in smooth and shiny like nothing ever happened to it which is what most people want when they think about buffing out their dirt bike or quad.

This type of plastic doesn't lend itself well to being abraded with the end result looking new and/or original.

Maybe try some PlastX by hand or machine. It's primarily for clear plastics but might be worth a try.

:)

ICEMAN
08-25-2009, 12:12 PM
DO NOT spray water directly at the spark plug. thats about the only thing to worry about. You can spray around it, just not xdirectly at it. You can directly spray everything else. unless he has an open air filter on the carbs, then dont spray the filters obviously, lol

scarem
11-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Use "Mop n glow". leaves the plastic wet and shines likes there's no tomorrow.
Wipe it on and let it dry.. It will wash off in a couple days

Flash Gordon
11-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Use "Mop n glow". leaves the plastic wet and shines likes there's no tomorrow.
Wipe it on and let it dry.. It will wash off in a couple days

Mop n Glow FTW!!! :righton:

opie_7afe
11-18-2011, 02:33 PM
plastic panels are a pain in the rump to remove scratches from and getting a near flawless finish, best bet would be using some 800grit wet sandpaper to level off scratches, go to 1000 grit to remove 800grit sanding scratches,then go to 1500, then 2000,then finish with 3000 grit. you may not need to use the 800 depending on how deep they are. remember also, with plastic its alot softer then paint so something like m205 might remove the 3000 grit sanding scratches from the plastic then go to some plastiX and see how it looks. plastic really is a pain because of how soft it is, just using some compound alone most likely wont remove the scratches if a finger nail catches, if no finger nail catches might get away without sanding. just try some test spots and find out what works, even the best of the best detailers need to do test spots and find out what works on the fly as paint systems vary so much, can have factory paint on all but one panel then that one panel uses a different paint system, im sure you get my point. just test some product/methods and report back!and post pictures so we can help you better!
(i do not detail motorcycles but ive done some plastic polishing/plastic work so thats why i replied. my motto is if i cant drive it, i dont detail it.) yes i know that limits me but i dont do motorcycles, im the type i get on one and knowing my luck ill fall right over LOL...i cant even ride a 49cc scooter without dumping it!

Stang Man
01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
I have had good luck on Dad's KLR650 with a heatgun.

Keep it about 4-6 inches away from the plastic, and slowly sweep an area at a time. You're literally melting that top layer, and closing the "pores".

You may want to test an inconspicious spot, or see if you have some spare plastics you can practice on.

NewNickel
07-21-2012, 07:17 PM
If it's a CRF, the easy choice is just to replace it. The time/bill for correction makes fixing a $20 part a no-win. Most dirt guys will take the new plastics off when the bike comes home, swap them for ufo or acerbis, and store them for when the bike gets sold.

Sorry for reviving this golden oldie of a thread.

George Brown
09-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Hello Members,

One thing that works well as a preventative is Rain-X Put an application of that on after you wash and wax. It sheds off a lot of the dirty water that when sitting dries and leaves spots everywhere.

For the wheels on dry summer days, use static guard. Just spray some on and let it dry. It works great until its overwhelmed with dust, preventing it from sticking to the wheel. Even after it breaks down and dust starts sticking, it aids in removal of the dirt with a cloth. Much easier than just wiping it off with nothing on them!

Regards,
George Brown

Albert1
09-20-2012, 10:57 AM
well its very informative for me to visit this thread. You guys explained very well. I hope as you are expert in that stuff you have never face any problem in your vehicles. And if you face then you fix it by yourself instead of going to a garage. Good work keep it up.