PDA

View Full Version : 3M Tape Type & Typical Width?? - Polishing Preparation

Pages : [1] 2

tenorplayer23
08-21-2009, 03:08 PM
TAPE ,............a mundane topic, to say the least, BUT:

Have done a search in the forum on what specific type of 3M tape is best for car detailing & the typical width people use to prepare for polishing. A million posts that mention "tape".............very few with any specificity.

> What type of 3M Painters Tape should be used? Their are 2-3 types, looks like the differences are in adhesive aggressiveness. Or should I go out to an autobody supply store and buy 3M tape specifically made for car painting/masking, etc.?

> What width does everybody use? By the looks of photos here, it would appear that 1 -1.5" is the usual. I would think any wider would be harder to handle around bends/curves, even if the extra width was warranted.

> Best/cheapest source for 3M tape recommended..........big box stores/Home Depot/Lowes/???? Any suggestions.........or just buy a few rolls at the Depot down the street (BTW, will a single roll of 1" do an entire, say, full size car....just checking needed quantities)??

Thanks for the info.

See ya. http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/wavey.gif

HighEndDetail
08-21-2009, 03:37 PM
The 3M tape I have is green in color. I have both the 1 inch and 2 inch tape width. And a role will last for a while. You will learn over time what you need to tape, on a vehicle. i did use more in the beginning, kind of like a learning curve.

tenorplayer23
08-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Ed, thx for the info.

I assume that your tape is specifically for "autobody/paint masking"? The homes tores have only blue, that i could see. Could you post the actual name or model/number for me? Also, thanks for the width/usage comment.

See ya http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/seeya.gif

The 3M tape I have is green in color. I have both the 1 inch and 2 inch tape width. And a role will last for a while. You will learn over time what you need to tape, on a vehicle. i did use more in the beginning, kind of like a learning curve.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-21-2009, 05:41 PM
I use the green 3m tape, the sizes I use are 1/2, 3/4 and 1 1/2 inch sizes.

Fred114
08-21-2009, 05:41 PM
3M makes green tape and calls it auto tape. The blue 3M tape is painters tape which you find in paint stores and paint section of Wal-Mart. I used both on my car. Can't say for sure, but the green tape's adhesive did seem easier to clean up where needed.

You can usually find the green tape in the auto section of Wal-mart, and of course Autogeek sells it as well. I used the 2" for masking larger areas like my headlights. Used the one inch tape for smaller spaces around my trim.

tenorplayer23
08-21-2009, 05:57 PM
If you've used the blue tape, as well, did you see any differences between that and the green automotive variety?

Thx.

See ya. :wavey:

I use the green 3m tape, the sizes I use are 1/2, 3/4 and 1 1/2 inch sizes.

Rsurfer
08-21-2009, 06:07 PM
The green leaves less residue behind.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-21-2009, 06:37 PM
If you've used the blue tape, as well, did you see any differences between that and the green automotive variety?

Thx.

See ya. :wavey:

Yes, like Ron said the blue leaves more residue, green barely has any.

Mike Phillips
08-21-2009, 06:41 PM
For the Lexus detail we did last Friday we used the 3M tape that's available via the Autogeek store here. It seems to have much stronger adhesion in my opinion than the blue painter's tape also made by 3M and works well especially if you need some extra sticking power. I've used this green tape a lot when I was younger because that's what the local PBE store always had in stock where I bought my supplies.

I've also used both strengths of the blue painter's tape and out of the two I usually prefer the stronger one, the one with the white colored cardboard inner roll and the orange colored cardboard inner roll and usually out of these two I prefer the stronger of the two because sometimes the least aggressive adhesive just isn't sticky enough.

That said, when I'm buffing out a car I use whatever's available!

As for widths, it's really nice to have a variety of widths on hand just so you can tackle anything that comes your way. This would include the very thinest of painter's tape to the very wider painter's tape. Thin tape for thin, hard body lines or thin gaskets and a collection of the rest just to make it fast to tape-off a car.

Lowe's and Home Depot are usually pretty good places to pick up the blue painter's tape and a PBE store is generally stocked with the green automotive painter's tape.

If you don't know where your PBE stores are then do a little research and find out and then pay them a visit to see what they stock.

I like to have a variety of thicknesses on hand for taping things off as well as 2 mil drop cloths, a soft flannel bed sheet, (not the fitted type with elastic in the corners but completely flat style), a beach towel, tin foil and newspapers.

You just never know what's going to come in handy.

In a perfect world you wouldn't have to tape-off or cover anything up but alas that's not the case. Anything with pebble textured black plastic should be taped-off or covered up however as once you get an kind of polish or wax residue on textured plastic surfaces it can be very difficult to remove 100%

My favorite cars to buff out are any car that was built before pebble textured plastic was invented.

Also, try not to leave any kind of painter's tape on for too long as the longer it's left on, especially if it's warm or the car is in direct sunlight, the more difficult it will be to remove.

I saw a 1957 Chevy last summer in the parking lot of a body shop all taped-off for painting but it never went into the booth and instead was parked outside and the tape looked like it was old and weathered, it didn't look like it was going to come off without a fight.

Back in 2005 I shot some video with Richard Lin where we used a Lotus Elise and Lotus went a little overboard on the black plastic trim.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2LotusTape10.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2LotusTape11.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2LotusTape3.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2LotusTape71.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2LotusTape5.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2LotusTape6.jpg

gumball
08-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Sweet Elise

Presidential_Detail
08-21-2009, 09:47 PM
I use 3m green automotive masking tape, Im not sure if its the same as autogeek carries but I usually get mine from walmart in the auto section near the touch up paints since I go through it so often.

Jimmie
08-22-2009, 12:12 AM
If forced to make a decision on one width it would be 1 1/2 " and it would be the green (less residue). Right now all I've got is blue and it's fine too.

2003 GMC Denali
08-22-2009, 01:22 AM
So on body Joints, like Doors to Fenders... you just want to cover up the Gap, right ?

What happens to the Paint under the Tape ? I guess you want to use the thinnest Tape possible so that it just barely hangs on, yet is enough to stick.

Green or Blue... this thread hasn't nailed it down for me, yet. I don't know which color to get and which brand.

All this Tape discussion being said and the need to do it, does that mean that the products AG sells to bring Black Pebbled Trim alive again after getting polishes and Waxes on them, don't Work ?

Products like Black Wow, Black Dye and Black Again... ?

Or is it just a Time thing ? Taping off a Car's Trim versus applying these "Black" products to cover/fix up the mistakes ?

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-22-2009, 02:17 AM
You don't tape up the the gaps between body panels otherwise like you said you can not polish the paint under the tape. It looks as though most are using the green, the green like I mentioned above leaves less residue than the blue. Plus you should not use anything to cover your mistake because after the first wash they will re-appear. If an accident occurs you need to find a product that removes any type of polish or wax. Acetone works very well and so do certain adhesive removers

ScottB
08-22-2009, 04:28 AM
I use the basic blue ... had more than a year. Seen the green, didnt think it was any different other than color.