PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

Pages : [1] 2

Excessive Detail
09-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I was wondering what percentage of swirls come from just every day driving and what causes them, I mean will flying debris. I started to notice very light swirls on my car, only a few compared to what it was, and I've only washed it once since I last polished out all the swirls, and yes I took every possible step to prevent swirls while washing, drying, and qd. I do a lot of interstate drivving and I don't always drive the limit and stay the proper distance behind cars, not tailgating, but close. What do you guyz think.

FloridaNative
09-18-2006, 11:39 AM
I was wondering what percentage of swirls come from just every day driving and what causes them, I mean will flying debris. I started to notice very light swirls on my car, only a few compared to what it was, and I've only washed it once since I last polished out all the swirls, and yes I took every possible step to prevent swirls while washing, drying, and qd. I do a lot of interstate drivving and I don't always drive the limit and stay the proper distance behind cars, not tailgating, but close. What do you guyz think.

I often wonder about things like that too. Especially when it is pouring rain outside. I see it raining cats and dogs and wonder, "is there any dust or dirt on my car and is the rain pounding it into my paint??" It's a good question, but I don't have any kind of definitive answer for you unfortunately. :(

Excessive Detail
09-18-2006, 11:47 AM
I often wonder about things like that too. Especially when it is pouring rain outside. I see it raining cats and dogs and wonder, "is there any dust or dirt on my car and is the rain pounding it into my paint??" It's a good question, but I don't have any kind of definitive answer for you unfortunately. :(

Well thanks for nothing,JJ, I never thought of the whole rain and dust concept. I just know when I'm on the interstate I hear things hitting my constantly, like little peices of road from big trucks. I just turn up the radio and try to avoid.

FloridaNative
09-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Well thanks for nothing,JJ, I never thought of the whole rain and dust concept. I just know when I'm on the interstate I hear things hitting my constantly, like little peices of road from big trucks. I just turn up the radio and try to avoid.

Is JJ supposed to be me?? I hear stuff hitting my car too when I'm driving on the interstate. I always assume they are stones. I have a couple of places on my hood where the paint is completely gone from being hit by rocks or stones. I'm going to touch them up though.

ScottB
09-18-2006, 04:29 PM
You both have far to much time available, and need to be complexed with items like world peace or armigadion (sp).

FloridaNative
09-18-2006, 07:00 PM
loquito!! Let's compare work hours between you and me and see who works longer! :p

Rapidity
09-18-2006, 07:22 PM
oh god.. .the whole $130k stay at home mom topic.

dengood1
09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
You both have far to much time available, and need to be complexed with items like world peace or armigadion (sp).

HAHA! I was sitting here thinking to myself "wow, someone's got a lot of time on their hands to be thinking about this"! lol...just kidding guys and gals:p I mean, it's crossed my mind before, but not often:p. I'm sure the swirls come from anything equal to or greater than the hardness of the clearcoat(grain of sand) being dragged across it. All it takes is one grain of sand to mess up a swirl removal job. It always scares the bejeezus out of me everytime I use a quick detailer a couple of days after a wash:eek: I tend to overspray the qd when I use, afraid a grain of sand swerved my mist!

dengood1
09-18-2006, 07:36 PM
oh god.. .the whole $130k stay at home mom topic.
FlaNative makes $130k at home??:confused: Jeez.....not bad Jen;)

Excessive Detail
09-18-2006, 08:47 PM

World peace will only be when there are no swirls to deal with.

texasdan
09-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Flying debris does not cause swirls. Debris will cause chips, dents, and single line scratches, but in my experience it does not cause swirls.

I do gravel chip testing on brand new paint (never touched by anything but air) and after the test, there are lots of chips but no swirls. Basically, I pour gravel chips into an air gun and shoot it at the paint from a certain distance and measure the chips in the paint in a certain area.

Excessive Detail
09-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Flying debris does not cause swirls. Debris will cause chips, dents, and single line scratches, but in my experience it does not cause swirls.

I do gravel chip testing on brand new paint (never touched by anything but air) and after the test, there are lots of chips but no swirls. Basically, I pour gravel chips into an air gun and shoot it at the paint from a certain distance and measure the chips in the paint in a certain area.

:applause:Thats all I can say about the about the gravel test, I've done some of my own little test with waxes and sealants and polishes, but not that. SInce you done so much testing, what are the major things that you think cause swirls, I know the a far amount, but its always good to learn more.

FloridaNative
09-18-2006, 10:24 PM

Oh my goodness! Tell the truth, do you wince everytime the rocks hit the paint?

ScottB
09-19-2006, 06:03 PM
World peace will only be when there are no swirls to deal with.

If it was only that simple , polish and buffers, versus guns, oil, and religion. :p

Rapidity
09-19-2006, 07:44 PM
More money... more problems.