PDA

View Full Version : ONR VS. DP-W&G Question

Buckskincolt
08-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi all,

I hope I'm putting this in the right place.
I've done a search and read the ONR thread. My question is simple has anyone used both the Optimum No Rinse and the DP Wash & Gloss? Reading all I can it seems they are pretty much the same as well as the same price. Any real differences? Any preferences? I know the ONR is the one with all the talk but it sure seems that the DP W&G does the same exact thing. so Feed back please I need to add one to the shopping cart, which one?

Thanks! Y.

CharlesW
08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
I have and use both and I really don't see a difference in performance as a rinseless wash.
I don't use either for clay lube or as a QD so I can't comment on any differences when used for those purposes.
It has been said that the DP smells better, but I never had a problem with the smell of ONR.

Chances are good that I will buy whichever one is cheapest when I need more.

Since they are the same price right now, I wasn't really any help at all, was I?

It's about time for one of them to hit the BOGO so you might want to wait for this week's update. Of course if you have some of this week's BOGO items in your cart, they may disappear from the BOGO list.

Bunky
08-21-2009, 03:18 PM
I have used both and do not see a difference either.

DP smells like bubble gum. I have no sensory skills to detect what ONR is..some say citrus but not to me. Disclosure: I did receive a sample from AG to test and I posted my review here.

I have decided that once you use ONR or DP, you can no longer judge the beading of the LSP due to the wax. They leave a long lasting property that proves beading and nice run off on glass.

CharlesW
08-21-2009, 04:23 PM
To further confuse the issue......
I just used QEW on the Montana and it seemed to work every bit as good as the DP or the ONR.
For some reason, the QEW seems to have fallen out of favor, but it worked good for me.
The Montana wasn't terribly dirty although it was driven about 40 or 50 miles in the rain since it was washed a few days ago.

CharlesW
08-24-2009, 08:40 AM
After using the Protect All Quick & Easy wash on both the GTP and the Montana, I would say it compares quite favorably to both ONR and DP.
Seemed to clean, wiped off streak free, felt comfortable using it, didn't seem to induce any swirls.
One thing that is quite different that I had read about is the fact that the wash media, (In my case a Cobra Bone MF covered sponge), rinses very clean in the rinse bucket.
When I use ONR or DP, the wash media is quite dirty when I finish. Dirty enough that I use a different one for each vehicle until I can wash them.
With the QEW, the Bone was relatively clean after the Montana and I did use the same one for the GTP. It was still clean enough that I would not have hesitated to use it again. (I did wash it, though. :))

sportscarhiatus
08-24-2009, 08:49 AM
I used ONR a couple of times, and I must say, even with the 2 bucket method, and the vehicle not being very dirty (1 or 2 rains), ONR has caused fine scratches in my paint. Not going to use it again as a wash standalone... I'll use it in my foam gun and regular bucket method as a softener. But that's about it. Was somewhat disappointed :(

CharlesW
08-24-2009, 09:15 AM
I used ONR a couple of times, and I must say, even with the 2 bucket method, and the vehicle not being very dirty (1 or 2 rains), ONR has caused fine scratches in my paint. Not going to use it again as a wash standalone... I'll use it in my foam gun and regular bucket method as a softener. But that's about it. Was somewhat disappointed :(Interesting.
1. If you had a scratch free finish to start with, you obviously know how to care for your paint.
2. If you had scratches after the ONR, it seems likely that the rinseless wash process contributed to the problem.
3. Given the very large number of people that don't have a problem brings up some questions and I have no answers.
If you had exceptionally soft paint, you would have problems with a conventional wash.
If you had a bad wash mitt or drying towels, same thing.
If your technique is at fault, you would most likely have the problem when washing conventionally.
Rinseless and waterless washing isn't for everyone and it looks like you are one that it isn't going to work for.
That's unfortunate, both for the scratches and for you not being able to have the convenience that I feel rinseless washing gives, at least for me.

CharlesW
08-24-2009, 09:19 AM
I used ONR a couple of times, and I must say, even with the 2 bucket method, and the vehicle not being very dirty (1 or 2 rains), ONR has caused fine scratches in my paint. Not going to use it again as a wash standalone... I'll use it in my foam gun and regular bucket method as a softener. But that's about it. Was somewhat disappointed :(Just another thought.
You don't have your location shown, but maybe someone that has used rinseless washes quite a bit could meet with you and between the two of you work out a solution.
Work on just one or tow panels and maybe even find a beater to practice on.
That would tell you a little more.

By the same token, you may be ready to just forget it and move on. I sometimes reach that point. :D

ryandamartini
08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
If you have any problems with ONR, see the ONR sticky.. :)

And get a Lowes Grout Sponge for use with ONR.

sportscarhiatus
08-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi Charles... thanks for the feed back. Let me try to respond to your comments.

Interesting.
1. If you had a scratch free finish to start with, you obviously know how to care for your paint.
Yes, I'm an "autogeek", you can say ;)

2. If you had scratches after the ONR, it seems likely that the rinseless wash process contributed to the problem.
This is 50/50 for me... let me explain. I did a complete paint protection with a PC and white pad using Menzerna, but I did not do an IPA wipedown. So either a) swirls were NEVER completely removed to begin with or b) they in fact were, and ONR really caused the new swirls. I learned how to use IPA wipedown after the fact, so I might correct the paint again, use IPA to make sure swirls are gone, then do ONR again on one panel.

3. Given the very large number of people that don't have a problem brings up some questions and I have no answers.
If you had exceptionally soft paint, you would have problems with a conventional wash.
If you had a bad wash mitt or drying towels, same thing.
About the wash mitt... I started with a new mitt, but obviously, even with the 2 bucket method, it still gets filthy dirty. Do you just wash it intensely before reuse the 2nd time? That's what I tried, but it still had stains and still scratched :( It just seems unavoidable that when using ONR and even with a clean mitt, one can't help but "drag" dirt across the surface during an ONR wash. Same concept in regular bucket/foam washing, but of course there's much increased lubricity plus presoak/rinse prior to scrubbing.
If your technique is at fault, you would most likely have the problem when washing conventionally.
I follow the golden rules when washing... scratches eventually come back after a year or so, but not after one wash, like ONR did.
Rinseless and waterless washing isn't for everyone and it looks like you are one that it isn't going to work for.
That's unfortunate, both for the scratches and for you not being able to have the convenience that I feel rinseless washing gives, at least for me.
Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to use ONR... it's much quicker... maybe if someone can shed some more light on this, maybe I AM doing something wrong.

p.s. nice to see you're from Ankeny! am from CR...

CharlesW
08-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Easy part first. Go to your User CP, click on edit profile and the last window on that page has a place for your location.

Now, back to the problem at hand.
I know nothing about the Menzerna, but I wouldn't think their polish would have fillers that would require an IPA wipe down. Slightly off topic, but I have never done an IPA wipe down for any reason.
The "new" mitt might be suspect. What kind and was it washed before you used it?
As you know, not all mitts are the same. Mine do get very dirty with ONR or DP. I just throw my wash media in the washer after use. They do not come completely clean, but I don't have any reservations about using them even after they are stained.
As far as what to use, I have used sheepskin miitts, cotton chenille mitts, cotton chenille covered sponges, MF towels, MF mitt, sea sponge, Lowes grout sponge, Home Depot grout sponge. Cobra Bone MF covered sponge and wouldn't hesitate to use any of them again. All of them are very dirty after use and I wash them before using them again.

I'm not sure how much quicker ONR is, but it is great in the cold months and is very handy for doing a wash in the garage anytime I want, year round.

Bunky
08-24-2009, 08:18 PM
The wash process may not be the only place swirls happen: drying, IPA wipedown.

sportscarhiatus
08-24-2009, 08:32 PM
The wash process may not be the only place swirls happen: drying, IPA wipedown.

definitely not during IPA wipedown because I am literally looking at my surface with a halogen light the whole time. If I see no swirls/scratches from an IPA wipedown, there are no scratches/swirls. That's the whole point of an IPA wipedown... to see if there ARE scratches/swirls.