PDA

View Full Version : Flex felt ring question

Phalcon51
08-20-2009, 11:39 PM
I just received my new Flex 3401 and was wondering if I have to lube the felt ring. I pulled off the backing plate and it appears not to have any lube on it from the factory. What's the consensus on the type and quantity of lube? Any problems with oil flinging out onto the paint or the pad?

I also noticed when it's running that if I view the backing plate edge-on from the side that it wobbles several millimeters up and down. Anybody else notice this on theirs? Is it normal?

Thanks

Gary

ScottB
08-21-2009, 06:39 AM
I lubed mine for additional safety as I blew out the original backing plate. Do remember to tighten the backing plate prior to first use, maybe it looks wobley as still a little loose ??

Phalcon51
08-21-2009, 12:23 PM
What lube did you use and how much? Any official word from Flex or Autogeek on lubrication?

The wobble was noticed after tightening down the backing plate, as well as with the Edge adapter backing plate I also bought.

HighEndDetail
08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I went through 2 felt rings/backing plates with my flex. Then Dwayne suggested to lube the felt ring. So I used a little motor oil on it, and it seemed to fix the problem. Been using that one for over a year without issues.
Sounds like you might need to tighten the backing plate a little more.

loudog2
08-21-2009, 12:47 PM
I use a lithium grease every other time I use it. I just rub it into the ring with my finger, and wipe away any excess grease.

mixmaster209
08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Well,
I asked this same question a couple of months back when i got mine, and i was suggested Air Tool Oil because of its longevity and high lubricity content. Air tool Oil is supposedly the same oil that a Flex representative recommended as well, if i remember someone telling me correctly.
I've not had any problems what so ever (fingers crossed) since day one and i've oiled it with Air Tool Oil. The backing plate still seems great and the ring hasn't worn out. I would imagine that it probably would operate smoother by doing this....
nevertheless, you don't lose anything by adding Air Tool Oil to the felt ring.
Also when applying it don't remove the felt ring and just take off backing plate and buy one of those air tool oil bottles with a easy pour nozzle and then put it all on the top of the felt ring.
Good Luck and remember, tighten but don't over tighten the backing plate.

KC-BBQ
08-21-2009, 03:29 PM
I received my Flex 3401 about a month ago. I called Powerhouse Distributing, the distributor and authorized service center in Omaha to inquire about lubricating the felt ring. They said that they weren't experiencing problems anymore, but it would still make sense to place a few drops of Air Tool oil, available at Wal-Mart in the automotive department, on the felt. Do not soak. I did this and have had no problems in several hours of use. I also have not experienced any vibration or wobbling. Make certain your backing plate nut is tightened (but do not over-tighten) using the hex wrench provided. It you do the lubrication you'll be taking this off and tightening it anyway.

Dwayne
08-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Air Tool Oil is what we recommend as well. We have also heard of 3401 owners using 3 in 1 oil, motor oil etc with excellent results. The most important thing is to have some lubrication present to extend the lifespan of the backing plate.

CEE DOG
12-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the heads up Harleyguy and Rsurfer!

Bunky
12-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Can someone post a picture of the felt ring? I did not see a felt ring on my Flex.

wfedwar
12-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Can someone post a picture of the felt ring? I did not see a felt ring on my Flex.

Take the backing plate off. It should be under there. If you still don't see it, I'll take mine apart and snap a picture. FWIW, I use motor oil on mine and it hasn't given any problems.

Bunky
12-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Take the backing plate off. It should be under there. If you still don't see it, I'll take mine apart and snap a picture. FWIW, I use motor oil on mine and it hasn't given any problems.

I did and did not see anything that looks like a felt ring. I see the clip that holds the housing to the shaft.

wfedwar
12-19-2009, 09:40 AM
The felt ring is just outside of the stationary ring gear that the backing plate engages. Mine is grey after some use, but it started out off-white.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o111/wfedwar/Misc%20auto%20pics/Flexfeltring.jpg

Bunky
12-19-2009, 10:56 AM
The felt ring is just outside of the stationary ring gear that the backing plate engages. Mine is grey after some use, but it started out off-white.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o111/wfedwar/Misc%20auto%20pics/Flexfeltring.jpg

Doh! That explains it. I was looking at the central shaft and wondering why I could not see it.

Thanks.:props: