PDA

View Full Version : Menzera product question

dun4791
08-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi all. I have been trolling for the last few weeks here. I have a 2006 Corvette that I want to detail. The paint is in great condition, but there are clear coat scratches from the previous owner drying the car. There is only one scratch in the clear on the entire car that I can feel.....about 1/8 of an inch long.. Car is dark blue, looks black in some light. Want to really get the surface perfect.

Here is the progression I am planning as per searching..........

I have a PC orbital. A griots garage one from a few years ago. I am planning on purchasing a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch LC pads...in white, and blue. Also planning on getting the Menzerna PO106FF and the PO85rd. From searching some say both of those will finish the same, but others say for dark cars use the 85 to finish with the blue pad. Going to hold off on the PO83(SIP) to see if the PO106FF will do the trick for me.....I believe it will, but dunno?

SO.........
Start with white 5.5 inch and 106FF speed at 6 moving slowly....back off speed to 4 after a few minutes with the first 2 foot section. Finish off with the blue and 85 rd speed at 5 going down to 4.

Sound correct?
Any ideas or hints would be greatly appreciated. After I get some input and order up the stuff I need I will post up pictures of my before and afters.........

Also I use P21S wax.
Thoughts on the california duster/detail spray microfiber after a short drive? Will this scratch the paint after I'm done? First car I have had with paint this nice and I want to get/keep it looking it's best..

Thanks everyone.

ScottB
08-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Your likely gonna want or need SIP the first time out. You can always spring for the new Wolfgang 3.0 polishes which are very close in design to SIP and 106FA and sold in smaller 8 ounces sizes now.

For wax qder consider Mothers Reflection, Poorboys Spray and Wipe, or Pinnacle Crystal Mist. None will harm the wax and should help with any dust after a quick romp.

Rsurfer
08-20-2009, 09:33 PM
You might want to get some 4" pads for better correction. You will need a 3.5" backing plate. I agree with Killr, you may need SIP cause of the hard clear on Vettes. That deep scratch may need touch up paint and wet sanding, but see if polishing will work first.

dun4791
08-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the advice and guidance , I really appreciate it. I actually went down to the local pep boys and bought a small tube of Meguiars scratch X tonight. It got 95% of the deep scratch out by hand. Looks great. Had to rub it pretty hard though. Used my finger and kept going until it was burning..HAHA.

I will get the SIP and the 106FA...I was looking at this bundle..

Menzerna polishes for ceramic clear coat paint, Nano polish, super intensive, Lake Country pads, Show car kit (http://autogeek.net/menzerna-ceramic-show-car-finish-kit-.html)

But the pads are too large...correct? I want to go at least 5.5, or 4 as Rsurfer says, but time spent on the car matters none to me. Not looking to be faster. Thats what the 4 would be for over the 5.5...correct..time saver?

Thanks again for the help.

Rsurfer
08-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the advice and guidance , I really appreciate it. I actually went down to the local pep boys and bought a small tube of Meguiars scratch X tonight. It got 95% of the deep scratch out by hand. Looks great. Had to rub it pretty hard though. Used my finger and kept going until it was burning..HAHA.

I will get the SIP and the 106FA...I was looking at this bundle..

Menzerna polishes for ceramic clear coat paint, Nano polish, super intensive, Lake Country pads, Show car kit (http://autogeek.net/menzerna-ceramic-show-car-finish-kit-.html)

But the pads are too large...correct? I want to go at least 5.5, or 4 as Rsurfer says, but time spent on the car matters none to me. Not looking to be faster. Thats what the 4 would be for over the 5.5...correct..time saver?

Thanks again for the help.Not only faster, but you can get into tight areas with a smaller pad. You are very fortunate that you didn't go thru your clear coat rubbing like you did in one spot. You can laugh now cause it came out, but you would be crying if you saw grey primer. Thank goodness it worked out ok for you this time.

ScottB
08-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-removers.html)

these are the equivalent and in smaller sizes as desired.

rwisejr
08-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Reading his post he says that he has a Griot's Garage unit . If memory serves me well he can't change the backing plate on that unit. So he can only use 6 in pads on that unit. Am I correct ?

Rsurfer
08-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Reading his post he says that he has a Griot's Garage unit . If memory serves me well he can't change the backing plate on that unit. So he can only use 6 in pads on that unit. Am I correct ?You maybe correct. Only the newer model will accept a smaller bp, my bad.

Fred114
08-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Reading his post he says that he has a Griot's Garage unit . If memory serves me well he can't change the backing plate on that unit. So he can only use 6 in pads on that unit. Am I correct ?

Yes on the older version of Griots polisher you can not change the backing plate. I have one. 6 or 6.5 inch pads are required for the unit.

dun4791
08-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks killrwheels.....I will get the wolfgang.

My PC is a 7336. The backing pad is removable, and has what appears to be a 1/4 inch threaded stud attached to it (didn't confirm the size...just by memory). I took it off today to see. The PC came with a wrench for the purpose. However it does say for 6 inch pads only on the counter weight............

So ....guess I need a different machine to be able to do any real polishing?

Thank you everyone.

dun4791
08-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I did a quick google search and came up with a page that has a different counterweight to facilitate the use of a smaller BP....anyone tried this...Other than the counterweight difference, what I can find, says the 7336 and the 7424 are the same except for the counterweights. Maybe there are more than one generation of griots polishers?

Porter-Cable Backing Pads, Polishing Pads & Counterweights (http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/pads.htm)

This is hard math for Rembrandt.....

ScottB
08-22-2009, 04:41 AM
I had experienced no personal difference using either counterweight on the PC. Certainly you should follow the manufacturers advice for best results but can not personally note any difference felt or noticed.

Nappers
08-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Doesn't the counterweights work only for when using the machine for sanding? Keeps the vibration down right?

I have a 5" only counterweight on my G100 (PC7335 on machine) and it works fine for me.....

I read an article somewhere about there is no difference in performance while paint correcting with either 5" or 6" counterweight.....

rwisejr
08-22-2009, 05:07 AM
I have and tried both weights and it made no difference