PDA

View Full Version : Painted body trim

Buckskincolt
08-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

My mom has a 2003 GMC Yukon Dark metallic Blue that has body color (factory painted) side door moldings and body color (factory painted) plastic on the front and rear bumpers. My question is this, how do you detail this stuff? Do you treat it like any other painted body panel or does it take a special process? Is there anything special one should worry about when detailing this trim? This will be a pretty heavy detail because this truck has not even had wax since new and it has been exposed to salt and harsh winters on the Oregon coast + it has a few dings and such that would need a painter to fix and we are not fixing them.

Remember I'm a noob so any detailed advice will be great. I will be using the new improved Griot's orbital with 6.5" LC orange, white, black and blue pads. I'll be using Menzerna PO91E IP and PO85U FP for polishing and Zaino AIO for final cleanup followed by Zaino Z5 toped with Z6.

I will try to take some before and after pictures as well as give a total amateur's review of the Griot's machine when finished.....If I ever finish.:buffing:
Thanks in advance for the help!:xyxthumbs:

ScottB
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
treat it like paint, and protect it like paint ....

Rsurfer
08-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Be gentle on the plastic bumpers. Plastic will not dissipate heat as fast as the metal panels. Guy's have burned thru the clear by using too much pressure and not moving the pc. Clear coat wrinkle is not uncommon on plastic bumpers.