PDA

View Full Version : Need your advise

Pages : [1] 2

buddy01
08-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey everyone, I just joined here (you can see my thread in the introduce yourself section) and if some of you haven't seen my other post, I am a complete newbie with detailing. So I came here to seek some help and knowledge on it.

I first want to say, the most I ever have done for my car is a normal car wash, tire shine, and armor all the dash. My goal is before winter comes to give this car the proper treatment on detailing. So please help me if you can.

I own a Craftsman buffer, and have never used it before. It was my step dads and he left it behind when he got the boot. I know it still works, but never used it like stated. At first I figured maybe I should do a hand wax to the car since its my first time and I don't want to end up hurting the car. Ay input on weather I should do it by hand or mechancial would be great. I will also need to go out and purchase all the detailing equipment far as claybar, wax, polish and cloths.

Now to describe the car. The car is silver, and has some scratches on it. Unfortanely kids back in highschool thought they were cool and keyed my car, its not down to bar metal I know that though. Also on the hood I've notice some swirl marks on it that I have no idea were that came from, and it doesn't come off when I wash my car. There is also a nice knick on the hood as well were eventually I will have to get fixed, I don't know if that would affect anything besides the look.

So everyone I need your help on what to do. Please help me!

belcherm58
08-17-2009, 11:19 PM
The first thing I would suggest is to look at the tabs at the top of this screen. You see one that says " Detailng How-to's ". Go in there and read. There is a lot of good information and is a general knowledge of detailing as you will read on these forums. I would suggest doing waxing by hand until you get some experience. You mentioned that a buffer you have is a Craftsman. I would imagine it is a circular polisher. It is easy to burn through paint if you don't have experience with it. Start by hand and work your way up. Good luck to you. You have at least found a very good place to start. Welcome to the forum.

TheDodgeGuy
08-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Hey Buddy,

Head over to the AG store site and scroll down to the "Expert Advice" section on the left hand side. Click on the "Auto Detailing facts, tips, and tricks" link. Scroll all the way down - after reading all of the great info of course - and bask in auto detailing advice nirvana by clicking on any of the links.

Most members have found products they like through trial and error, but you are part of a great community willing to help you out and will give you some solid advice. So, way to be brave and unlike many of us, actually ask for advice. :xyxthumbs:

I have never used a craftsman, but someone here probably has and could chime in.

I would suggest starting with the Meguires line simply because it is readily available almost anywhere and is reasonably priced and it works well too. Not knowing your budget it is a little difficult to advise you. However you seem to have a solid understanding of wash, clay, compound, polish, and wax/sealant. Silver is a good color for a first detail because you will be able to see great results and some small missed areas will not stand out.

Do a little homework and post again letting us know what you plan to use and we can give you better input. Hope to see a post soon :buffing:Im the MAN

buddy01
08-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments, I will be reading up on those pages you guys refered to.

TheDodgeGuy, I think I'm going hold off on the craftsman since I am new and don't want to cause any damage. Thanks for letting me know that info!

I'll read up on everything then come back here if I got some more questions! (high chance I may lol)

buddy01
08-18-2009, 11:38 PM
This site is great! I read some of the How to's (proper washing, winterizing, clay bar, car wax) I learned so far more then I ever knew lol.

I do have some questions. When washing the car first, I know you first do wheels, then you start at the top and work your way down till you get the whole car cleaned. If I am applying the soap by hand (not doing the foam gun) do I want the area I am cleaning to have the soap sit on the car for sometime, or do I just wipe the soap on, then wash that area when I get that section all done with the soap? If I let the soap sit for a little how long you think just like a couple mins, or did the whole car soapy then spray the whole car at once to take the soap off?

My next question deals with the clay. I do a little section first, and before putting the clay on the car I spray the area with the lubricant first then I start claying. It says when it start to glide your good to go, I just then whipe it with a microfiber towel, then spray it again with the lubricant. What I am confused about is the part where I dry it then I respray it with the lubricant, what is the purpose of respraying that area? Do I still do that if I'm going wax?

Last question deals with the waxing process. I will be doing this by hand since its my first time. It says to apply in shade and when car is dry. Then it says apply thin coats first, I got that, my question is do I apply the wax on the applicator first then rub it on car or put the wax on car and then rub it in with the applicator? Next is when do I buff the wax off the car? Do I wax the whole car then when its all done buff it out? Or should I wait a certain time period after the wax is applied to then start buffing?

Thats all I have for now, I'm going do some more reading to learn more. Also tomarrow I am going take some shots of my car to show you guys some spots of swirls I was refering to on what you guys think of it (like if the clay will take it out and what not)

Once again want to thank you guys alot. I know I may sound like a idiot on those question, but once agian I am a complete newbie so sorry!

Nappers
08-18-2009, 11:53 PM
I do have some questions. When washing the car first, I know you first do wheels, then you start at the top and work your way down till you get the whole car cleaned. If I am applying the soap by hand (not doing the foam gun) do I want the area I am cleaning to have the soap sit on the car for sometime, or do I just wipe the soap on, then wash that area when I get that section all done with the soap? If I let the soap sit for a little how long you think just like a couple mins, or did the whole car soapy then spray the whole car at once to take the soap off?

I wash the wheels first, then start at the top. You don't want the soap to sit on the car, wash one panel at a time or if it's hot out and no shade, wash a little at a time. You want to wash the panel, rinse, rinse the pad in a rinse bucket wring it out and continue on. Having two buckets removes the grime from the mitt so you don't get particles in the mitt. Grit Guards are great to drop in your bucket as the grime settles to the bottom, the grit guards prevent the grime from getting into your mitt. When I'm done with washing, I "flood" rinse the car.

My next question deals with the clay. I do a little section first, and before putting the clay on the car I spray the area with the lubricant first then I start claying. It says when it start to glide your good to go, I just then whipe it with a microfiber towel, then spray it again with the lubricant. What I am confused about is the part where I dry it then I respray it with the lubricant, what is the purpose of respraying that area? Do I still do that if I'm going wax?

spray the area you're going to clay, clay, wipe off area, re-knead clay and continue claying. If you drop the clay on the ground, don't use it on the paint, you could use if for glass duties to remove spots if you like or toss it. I once dropped a new bar about 1/2 way through a car and it's now window duty in a separate box. You don't want rocks and what not from the clay to scratch your car up! You wont believe what you pull of your paint with a clay bar!

Last question deals with the waxing process. I will be doing this by hand since its my first time. It says to apply in shade and when car is dry. Then it says apply thin coats first, I got that, my question is do I apply the wax on the applicator first then rub it on car or put the wax on car and then rub it in with the applicator? Next is when do I buff the wax off the car? Do I wax the whole car then when its all done buff it out? Or should I wait a certain time period after the wax is applied to then start buffing?

Put a THIN coat of wax on first, I do the whole car and let it dry, do a swipe test, as taken from Mike Phillips:

"Swipe Test"

The swipe test is where you take your clean finger, and swipe it briskly across the finish with the wax on it. If the paint is clear, without residue where your finger made the swipe, the wax is ready to wipe-off. If the area you have swiped is smudgy, or streaky, or there is noticeable wax in the swipe area, then the wax has not set-up long enough and you should allow more time for the wax to set-up before your remove it.

If you remove it before it has set-up, you will risk removing too much of the wax from the surface and thus leave less than engineered to remain behind on the finish.

I wait no less than about an hour to put on another coat of wax, some say to wait up to 12 hours. I live in a rural area, so I wax, remove, clean the interior, put away most of my tools and about an hour or more, I add the second coat.

Thats all I have for now, I'm going do some more reading to learn more. Also tomarrow I am going take some shots of my car to show you guys some spots of swirls I was refering to on what you guys think of it (like if the clay will take it out and what not)

Once again want to thank you guys alot. I know I may sound like a idiot on those question, but once agian I am a complete newbie so sorry!

Im the MAN

Now get to work!:buffing:

Hope that helped a smidge.....

buddy01
08-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks Nappers for replying back. I think I understand it all, I'm just going related everything back and inform me if I said anything wrong or missed something if you can.

I want to first have my car in a nice shadey area. When that is established, I get out my 2 bucket's, one for clean water the other for soapy water. I then rinse the car off first to get anything thats on it like dirt off first by the hose. After that I then clean my wheels first. When that is done I then start from the top of my car and have my iteam I'm using for the soap all soapy and apply to that section first. When that is done I then rinse off the car, then that soapy sponge or what not I then put in the clean water to rinse off. Then I repeat this process all around my car till its done. I then dry my car completly.

Then comes the claying. I get my clay and if its a big bar I cut into quarters. I guess I start anywere on the car but do small areas, spray the lubricant on first then start claying it till the clay glides. When it can glide I then whipe off the lubricant with a microfiber towel. Repear this process till whole car is complete. I then have the option if I want to then reclean my car before wax.

Next is wax. I start off by applyin a thin amount of wax on the car. So I am guessing that I put the wax on my towel about a quarter size? I then start rubbing it all over the car till the whole car has a light hazy look from the wax. After waiting sometime I give it the good old swipe test, if the paint on the car shows no sign of hazyness its time to buff all the wax off. Then I can reapply another thin coat of wax in a hour.

Is this correct? Also I do want to state when I said sponge in the washing car part, I know not to use sponge I just used that term.

Also I will be most likely doing the waxing/clay baring in my garage, I don't know if that matters?

Hope I got it all right, I will be taking pics of my car today to show you guys some of those scrathes and get your input on what to use. I saw a commercial of a product called Nufinish scratch doctor, anyone use it before or hear anything good about it?

Nappers
08-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Sounds good to me so far!

Claying and waxing in a garage is good :D

Wish I had a garage.....

Have fun and post some pix in a show off!

buddy01
08-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Ok got some pics. First one is off my hood were you can kinda see the swirl marks I was talking about. You can see it to the bottom left, look real close.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299/EWC88/100_1771.jpg

And heres the key mark (theres more but there all same)
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299/EWC88/100_1772.jpg

Need help on what will remove swirls and help with the key marks:(

TheDodgeGuy
08-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Sounds good to me so far!

Claying and waxing in a garage is good :D

Wish I had a garage.....

Have fun and post some pix in a show off!

:iagree: Have fun!

A4 1.8tqm
08-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Your on the right track! :props:

I know not to use sponge I just used that term.

Some sponges are OK though

Lake Country Foam Car Wash Sponge, big blue wash sponge, lake country sponge, lake country grout sponge, car wash, shampoo (http://www.autogeek.net/car-wash-sponge.html)

MisterShark
08-19-2009, 10:21 AM
...I get my clay and if its a big bar I cut into quarters. I guess I start anywere on the car but do small areas, spray the lubricant on first then start claying it till the clay glides.

I think I saw the guy in the Pinnacle Claying Instructional video also spray the clay along with the area of the car, before he started gliding it on the vehicle's surface.
Pinnacle Claying instructional video

That clip is about 2:01 minutes into the video.

TheDodgeGuy
08-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Ok got some pics. First one is off my hood were you can kinda see the swirl marks I was talking about. You can see it to the bottom left, look real close.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299/EWC88/100_1771.jpg

And heres the key mark (theres more but there all same)
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299/EWC88/100_1772.jpg

Need help on what will remove swirls and help with the key marks:(

Remember, always use the least aggressive method first. Meguires M205 is moderate and will clear up your swirl marks quickly and efficiently and give you a nice polish. Try a few passes with this and evaluate if you want to go more agressive on the scratches.

The key marks look fairly deep. Megs 105 is a compound that will definitely help with the scratches. Be sure to follow up the area with M205 to brighten it up after M105.

However, since you are just beginning, you may decide that you can live with some scratches for now, and practice on some scrap panels from your local auto body shop until you are more comfortable working on your on ri

Look forward to seeing your finished product :buffing:

A4 1.8tqm
08-19-2009, 10:44 AM
I'll be posting my results from touching up a very similar, probably deeper, scratch from getting keyed later today/tonight. I hope I get the results that am expecting. If so I'll have some input for you. We'll see. :cheers:

buddy01
08-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Please do since I will not be doing the wax till next week probably