PDA

View Full Version : Step-by-Step How-To Article using Pinnacle Products with the new PC 7424XP

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

GMC83
08-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Yes, the amount of products you used for simply an exterior paint correction job was a lot and demonstrates how much work it takes to do the actual corection work, and like you also mentioned: document your process.

Cannot wait to see more.

wisemonkey
08-21-2009, 06:27 PM
that was just a awesome right up my head hurts from so much info:props:

VISITOR
08-21-2009, 06:35 PM
nice explanation and write-up :xyxthumbs: how did you like the pinnacle line of products?

Rsurfer
08-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Awesome job and write up Mike. Looks like you had some help with the photos.

Mike Phillips
08-21-2009, 06:56 PM
nice explanation and write-up :xyxthumbs: how did you like the pinnacle line of products?

They worked great on this car! The Pinnacle polishes aren't for cars that need serious correction work, so as long as the defects aren't too deep and the paint isn't too hard they'll work well and with only two polishes in the line it's pretty "Bubba-Proof".

The liquid Souveran really goes a long way and I found myself overusing it when I tried to use as much as I would normally apply when using NXT Tech Wax. So I had to really cut down on how much product I was applying to the face of my foam finishing pad. It wipes off easy and really leave a deep, wet shine.

One thing that's real apparent in this first write-up is that I'm a big fan of always doing a Test Spot when you're either working on a paint system you've never worked on before or a chemical line you've never worked on before and in this example it was both for me.

This also re-enforces the importance of good lighting, you either want to check the results of your testing by backing the car out into the sun or using the Brinkman Swirl Finder, make sure your system is producing great results to one small area before using it on the entire car. Don't find out the hard way your products aren't working.

On another note, the 4" pads are a must-have if you're buffing out new cars, there are just too many thin, intricate panels to try to do good correction work with large pads and body curves and body lines will stop your pad from rotating, even with the new generation dual action polishers.

This was also my first time with the new PC7424XP and while it has more power compared to the first generation PC's you can still stop the pad from rotating by simply applying too much pressure to an edge, so always try to hold the polisher in a way that the pad is flat to the finish.

The hardest thing about this project wasn't detailing the car, it was uploading and inserting around 200 photos.

:)

Mike Phillips
08-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Awesome job and write up Mike. Looks like you had some help with the photos.

Yes sir!

Yancy is our in-house photographer, graphics artist and videographer and he took most all the photos. He's very talented and a lot of fun to work with. We actually worked on another project all day today and that's why I wasn't active online.

It's 8:00pm here in the office so time to push away from the keyboard...

:)

VISITOR
08-21-2009, 07:03 PM
great mike, look forward to your opinions/thoughts on other lines (optimum, menzerna, detailing tools, etc) as you work with them as well... :)

Craig
08-21-2009, 07:03 PM
If I recall, this car was at the detail fest getting a dent removed by Kevin. I think the car belongs to someones daughter? Max? Do I win?
Great job Mike, I think you should be out side doing the work in the Florida sun.:D

TimG
08-21-2009, 08:16 PM
A very enjoyable writeup indeed. Hope to see your reviews on other stuff in AG. Thanks for the share Mike. :dblthumb2::dblthumb2:

sydster
08-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Great work and article as always Mike!

:dblthumb2:

Meghan
08-21-2009, 08:51 PM
If I recall, this car was at the detail fest getting a dent removed by Kevin. I think the car belongs to someones daughter? Max? Do I win?
Great job Mike, I think you should be out side doing the work in the Florida sun.:D

You win! :kiss:

The Lexus belongs to Max's daughter Kelli, and she was very happy to have Mike detail it!

killrflake
08-21-2009, 10:37 PM
What a fabulous writeup. I find it very enjoyable to read such an in depth description on proper detailing and I'll be looking foward to anything else you offer us geeksters. Thank you for taking the time to bring this information to us all, it is appreciated.

belcherm58
08-21-2009, 11:19 PM
This was a very cool thread. Great information and great pictures. We can only look forward to more threads like this with information about favorite products sold by AG. It will only serve to increase followers knowledge and understanding of detailing principles and use of products and procedures. I am sure that AG customers and forum members will likely learn to be better detailers and be a instrument of
success for AG! Well Done AG.

supercharged
08-21-2009, 11:56 PM
well done, Mike! I really enjoyed your detail! Yes, Pinnacle products work very well, and that reminds me to use liquid Souveran next time I need to refresh my LSP.

Nappers
08-22-2009, 03:51 AM
great mike, look forward to your opinions/thoughts on other lines (optimum, menzerna, detailing tools, etc) as you work with them as well... :)

A very enjoyable writeup indeed. Hope to see your reviews on other stuff in AG. Thanks for the share Mike. :dblthumb2::dblthumb2:

All the new toys and products you get to try, looks like you were having more fun than a hog in mud!

Excellent write up as usual.

I have too many products I want to try.

Can't wait to read more on your findings with the rest of the line!

Good show::buffing: