PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover for interior?

jzhang1013
08-17-2009, 07:38 AM
So my interior gloss trim has some light scratches on it, I was just wondering if I could use Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover with an foam applicator pad to remove the swirls on the clear coat?

Thanks,
John

Mike Phillips
08-17-2009, 08:33 AM
So my interior gloss trim has some light scratches on it, I was just wondering if I could use Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover with an foam applicator pad to remove the swirls on the clear coat?

Thanks,
John

What are you working on?

As in what kind of car it this? Is this painted surfaces or shiny clear plastic coatings that can look like paint.

My experience is most interior trim that's clear and shiny is often times plastic and even with the right plastic polishes it can be hard to remove swirls and scratches by hand without leaving fine swirls and scratches behind.

You definitely want to use something very gentle and above all, test in an inconspicuous area before going over the entire surface. This can be hard because there usually isn't any inconspicuous areas and the components compared to the car body are very small.

Maybe try just applying a coating of wax or paint sealant and see if you can mask them?

But again, what are you working on?

:)

jzhang1013
08-17-2009, 08:45 AM
shiny clear plastic coatings that can look like paint. on a bmw.

Mike Phillips
08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
shiny clear plastic coatings that can look like paint. on a bmw.

I had a hunch... ;)

Let me be honest, more times than not when someone tries to improve these kinds of surfaces they end up making them worse and then they're unhappy and looking for someone to complain to or replace the component.

At Meguiar's I would send them to Tom McDonald who at the time was in charge of taking care of really hard problems, he's since moved onto a different position but I know I never wanted his job.

Usually a person, (you in this case), has very high expectations, that is after rub any product on the surface and wipe it off you expect perfection and most of the time that's not what you get and part of the problem is the surface you're working on is very scratch-sensitive. Having it right in front of your eyes doesn't help either as you're going to see it every time you get into the car.

PlastX is a great plastic polish but usually still wouldn't leave a PERFECT finish for surfaces like this when applied by hand. Part of the problem wasn't the product but the pressure exerted by your fingers on some kind of applicator material like a foam applicator pad.

I haven't had time to try all the other plastic products on the market but again, from years of experience watching and helping someone in a thread like this getting perfection is pretty hard.

What do you have in your detailing arsenal as far as chemicals go?

jzhang1013
08-17-2009, 09:27 AM
I had a hunch... ;)

Let me be honest, more times than not when someone tries to improve these kinds of surfaces they end up making them worse and then they're unhappy and looking for someone to complain to or replace the component.

At Meguiar's I would send them to Tom McDonald who at the time was in charge of taking care of really hard problems, he's since moved onto a different position but I know I never wanted his job.

Usually a person, (you in this case), has very high expectations, that is after rub any product on the surface and wipe it off you expect perfection and most of the time that's not what you get and part of the problem is the surface you're working on is very scratch-sensitive. Having it right in front of your eyes doesn't help either as you're going to see it every time you get into the car.

PlastX is a great plastic polish but usually still wouldn't leave a PERFECT finish for surfaces like this when applied by hand. Part of the problem wasn't the product but the pressure exerted by your fingers on some kind of applicator material like a foam applicator pad.

I haven't had time to try all the other plastic products on the market but again, from years of experience watching and helping someone in a thread like this getting perfection is pretty hard.

What do you have in your detailing arsenal as far as chemicals go?

It was in perfect shape when I was using Aerospace, water, and microfiber. Then someone decided to be "helpful" and scratched it.... :(

agpatel
08-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Dont know if you have a good glaze, but parents have a Pathfinder with fake wood trim and around the cup holder section had some fine swirls if you would call it that, I applied some glaze to it and made them alot less noticeable because of the filling ability. The filling will last longer than if applied to the paint as the interior does not go through the same as the exterior. This is depending on how bad the scratches are, maybe a picture would help.

jzhang1013
08-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Dont know if you have a good glaze, but parents have a Pathfinder with fake wood trim and around the cup holder section had some fine swirls if you would call it that, I applied some glaze to it and made them alot less noticeable because of the filling ability. The filling will last longer than if applied to the paint as the interior does not go through the same as the exterior. This is depending on how bad the scratches are, maybe a picture would help.
They are light swirls, but they are distracting when I am driving in the sun which is like 90% of the time.... :( what glaze did you get?? Thanks guys for the responses!

agpatel
08-17-2009, 05:09 PM
I have used 3m imperial glaze, I think XMT glaze works pretty well also.

emilkacp
08-02-2016, 11:43 PM
I just ordered a xc3401 w/ the concours package and the 4 inch adapter. I have one spot on my wood trim (touareg 04) which should be real wood underneath, can I use the total swirl remover + the other products in concours and treat it like paint?

This area seems to have a slight haze to it. A few other areas have some slight scratches but the cockpit sealant has been giving it a nice shine.

Thanks!
Emil

Mike Phillips
09-06-2016, 07:46 AM
I just ordered a xc3401 w/ the concours package and the 4 inch adapter.

I have one spot on my wood trim (touareg 04) which should be real wood underneath,

can I use the total swirl remover + the other products in concours and treat it like paint?

This area seems to have a slight haze to it. A few other areas have some slight scratches but the cockpit sealant has been giving it a nice shine.

Thanks!
Emil

I'd say "yes" if you have the room to get the face of the pad and the tool to the area you want to machine polish.

You could also simply apply the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover to the affected area with a clean, soft foam wax applicator pad and that by itself with a little massaging should restore clarity.

Be careful when machine polishing on the interior of a car so that you don't sling product splatter all over the place.

Please update us as to how this turns out.

Thanks you.