PDA

View Full Version : Rotary vs. DA

Mirror Detailing
08-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Searched around and couldnt not find a topic like this. So I was curious I see some people will work a car with a Rotary for there first cut on a detail, then switch up to a DA(PC, Flex, etc) for the 2nd/3rd cut/finish. My question is what is the difference or better yet pros/cons to using the DA vs. the Rotary. Every detail I have done I work the first cut with my D849 at 1500-1800 rpms then when I am at the 2nd cut I bring it down to 1300-1500. Last cut for say 3M Ultrafina I work it in at 1k-1400 rpms. What would be the difference in doing the same steps just with a DA in place of the rotary on the last two?

Rsurfer
08-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Ultrafina is for rotary use.

Mike Phillips
08-16-2009, 10:12 PM
What would be the difference in doing the same steps just with a DA in place of the rotary on the last two?

A DA polisher doesn't have anywhere near the rotating power offered by a direct drive tool like a rotary buffer.

Have you ever used a DA polisher like a Porter Cable unit?

:)

mixmaster209
08-16-2009, 10:36 PM
My flex certainly has all the power I need.... And then some... Lol. And it sure came highly recommended on this forum from many pros before I bought mine

nonetheless... For a d.a. Polishers I'm absolutely loving the extra power it offers..it's probably the best d.a. money can buy.

belcherm58
08-17-2009, 06:45 AM
My flex certainly has all the power I need.... And then some... Lol. And it sure came highly recommended on this forum from many pros before I bought mine

nonetheless... For a d.a. Polishers I'm absolutely loving the extra power it offers..it's probably the best d.a. money can buy.

I would say that you are correct in saying that the Flex has attributes that make it a better machine as for the DA polishers such as the forced rotation. I recently stepped up to a circular polisher for the correction time factor. I understand very well the process and use of the circular polisher. If I were going to purchase a new DA polisher, I would definitely chose the Flex.:dblthumb2:

Mirror Detailing
08-17-2009, 08:46 AM
A DA polisher doesn't have anywhere near the rotating power offered by a direct drive tool like a rotary buffer.

Have you ever used a DA polisher like a Porter Cable unit?

No, always used a Rotary for everything. Just always see some people swap between a DA and a Rotary in their details and was curious as to the pro/con difference in doing that!

Mike Phillips
08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
No, always used a Rotary for everything. Just always see some people swap between a DA and a Rotary in their details and was curious as to the pro/con difference in doing that!

That's what I figured but didn't want to assume anything. There was a time when the chemical side of our industry wasn't as good as it is now and finishing with only a rotary buffer usually meant swirls in the paint even if they were very light. As most of us are perfectionist when it comes to creating a show car finish swirls are not an option and that's where switching from a rotary after the initial cutting steps are finished to a dual action polisher insured a swirl free finish.

When I started out the electric Porter Cable DA Sander had not been introduced to the paint polishing world yet and if my customer had a large air compressor I would use an air-powered DA Sander with a foam pad attached to it for the finishing or jeweling steps.

The Porter Cable was introduced to the paint polishing world near as I can tell by Meguiar's sometime in the early 1990's, before forums and the Internet was around. I have a "Brilliant Solutions" catalog that dates back to 1995 and it shows the Porter Cable DA Polisher with the Porter Cable badge in the catalog.

I don't have any older documentation than this although some may exist.

The catalog on the left dates to 1995
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/1995BrilSolCat001.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/1995BrilSolCat002.jpg

It's kind of fuzzy but you can see it says Porter Cable and then a few years later the same tool was badged with the Meguiar's logo.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/1995BrilSolCat004.jpg

So maybe someday check-out a dual action polisher like the new PC 7424XP or even the Meguiar's G110 or the Flex 3401 VRG

RaskyR1
08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
A lot of people will switch to the DA to ensure a swirl free finish. I base my polisher choice on how they react in my test spots. Size and shape of the vehicle may also be a factor for me.

Mirror Detailing
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I will have to look into one then soon. I generally have to go 1 step further with the rotary to remove swirls, and if a DA can save me time by not creating those swirls/holograms, it would be worth it!