PDA

View Full Version : Any 3M Experts Here?

TheNorthSideWhiteGuy
08-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I have a big bottle of 3M's Perfect-It Rubbing Compound that I plan to use to restore the paint on two vehicles. I'm wondering what 3M product(s) I should follow up with? Do I need the Perfect-It Swirl Remover and the Ultra-Fine Polish or can I jump straight to the Ultra-Fine? Is the stuff in the smaller bottles the same as their Perfect-It 3000 line? I'd like to buy some more rubbing compound but in a smaller bottle since it took FOREVER to run through this one (I've only used it after doing fresh clear-coat paint jobs).

So basically what I'm looking for is smaller bottles of 3M stuff that is the equivelent of the Perfect-It line. And which products I need to pick up to follow up the Rubbing Compound.

Thanks Guys!

Lasthope05
08-16-2009, 04:53 PM
They dont make smaller sizes then 32oz in the perfect it 3K line. Honestly you dont need the ultrafina unless you want that extra little pop. But you do need the swirl remover if you choose to stay in the 3M line.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-16-2009, 05:24 PM
You will need all three, the swirl remover fills alot so it is going to need to be followed up with Ultrafina. Plus you want the Swirl remove to remove the big part of the hazing from the compound then work the Ultrafina real well and you should be fine.

Rsurfer
08-16-2009, 05:54 PM
You will need all three, the swirl remover fills alot so it is going to need to be followed up with Ultrafina. Plus you want the Swirl remove to remove the big part of the hazing from the compound then work the Ultrafina real well and you should be fine.
The 3M expert has spoken.

TheNorthSideWhiteGuy
08-16-2009, 10:26 PM
They dont make smaller sizes then 32oz in the perfect it 3K line. Honestly you dont need the ultrafina unless you want that extra little pop. But you do need the swirl remover if you choose to stay in the 3M line.
Thanks for the replies guys.
I've never used the Ultrafine before, just the compound & the swirl remover & then I've used a few different things to follow up the swirl remover. I've always had really good luck with 3M stuff so I figured I'd stick to that. Do they make anything in the 16oz. bottles that are pretty close to the swirl remover & the Ultrafine?

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-16-2009, 10:51 PM
I would replace your swirl remover with some Megs 205, then finish up with some Ultrafina. I am a big fan of Extra-cut and Ultrafina but thrit swirl remover just fills. I check on smaller bottle of polish by 3M from my supplier and he said there are none at this time. Also 3m has changed the Ultrafina bottle again to purple in color with a blue UK type cap and it is called Ultrfine now.