PDA

View Full Version : QDing Too Often??

Pages : [1] 2

Fritzables
08-16-2009, 12:43 AM
I am trying to get a feel into how often I can QD.

I bought a new BMW 323i MSport in November 2007 and have always kept the paint work in inpeccable condition - using always hi-end wax, sealant and polishes.

The following is a typical work out. Every 6 months I Clay, PO85RD, Einszett Glanz Wax, JETSEAL109 then ## 50/50.

Every 2 -4 weeks I will Liquid Souverän Wax followed by ## 50/50.

Every week after wash I Liquid Souverän Wax Spray.

Every day after work I QD using either Pinnacle Crystal Mist Quick Detail or Einszett Lack Finish QD.

As you can imagine, the car looks awesome.

Am I over applying the QD or should every second day be OK??

Fritzables :-)

maddenbowler
08-16-2009, 12:57 AM
You should check out a california duster. I use it to get that light coat of dust off of my car without using QD. If I feel i need a little more gloss or slickness I will QD after I dust

Nappers
08-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Shouldn't have a problem with QD'ing, I do it a lot when I can, but in a rural area, my dust is thicker and fear swirling the finish and thought that with the California Duster, I just have thick dust.....

If your dust is not too thick, a CD shouldn't be a problem or keep doing what your doing, your not hurting anything really.

Fritzables
08-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Hey, thanks gents.

Looks like the CD has the vote - always wanted one anyway :-)

Do I inpregnate it with any sort of fluid first up??

Fritzables.

Nappers
08-16-2009, 03:12 AM
Hey, thanks gents.

Looks like the CD has the vote - always wanted one anyway :-)

Do I inpregnate it with any sort of fluid first up??

Fritzables.

From what I understand, it has something already in it to trap the dust.

Be careful though with it, it's only to be used for light dust, anything heavier, it could swirl your paint finish....IMHO.

To clean, I used to just vacuum it out with my shop vac.

I don't own one anymore....Actually can't find it.....

RTexasF
08-16-2009, 08:31 AM
The Cali Duster comes with directions to prep it for use, follow them exactly. You DO NOT just remove the packaging and use it on the car.

belcherm58
08-16-2009, 08:48 AM
I really don't think you can QD to much. I look at it this way. The more you QD the less you wash. QD'ing is really a green movement as far as not using water. I QD about everyday. Assuming you are using a good Qd'er that keeps you from swirling the paint and supplements the wax or sealant, it's a win win situation.

Larry A
08-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I QD all the time, and it keeps the paint great.

maddenbowler
08-16-2009, 06:31 PM
if you get the cali duster pull it out of the bag and let it sit on a newspaper for like 2 days before you use it

MisterShark
08-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I purchased this one by Carrand (http://autogeek.net/microfiber-duster.html) and like it. Just open and start using.

You use MF to pamper your car's finish at every step of the way so it makes sense to follow through.

Superdutytd
08-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Cali dusters are not safe for your paint. Perfect a black car, let it get dusty, and run a Cali duster over it. It will micro mar the paint.

killrflake
08-16-2009, 10:20 PM
I had a Cali Duster years ago and to be honest do think to much of them. I QD as ofen as I can between washings as long as the car has minimum dust on it, if not, time for a wash.

belcherm58
08-16-2009, 10:51 PM
I bought a Cali Duster 2 years ago as one of my friends swears by them. I bought it and let it season for 2 days as the instructions say.I have never used it. I cannot bring myself to. It just doe's not seem logical that it will not mar the paint. I really shudder at the statement
in the enclosed instructions that says " the dirtier it gets the better it works". May keep it as a detailing relic of yesteryears. lol I would rather QD and use a premium Mf towel.

Rsurfer
08-17-2009, 12:56 AM
I purchased this one by Carrand (http://autogeek.net/microfiber-duster.html) and like it. Just open and start using.

You use MF to pamper your car's finish at every step of the way so it makes sense to follow through.
Best 12 bucks I ever spent. I use it everyday if it's not rainning. After a light dusting I use a QD. Been QDing everyday for over 2 years with no problems. My latest QD from AG is DoDo Red Mist.

Fritzables
08-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Thanks everyone.... good feedback.
Generally, even if there has been a few spits of rain then I won't touch until that weekend wash.

The dust build up I get can only be detected if you look at a surface at a low angle.

The 323 is a dark metalic grey (Sparkling Graphite).

Cheers all.....

Fritzables.

PS: The QD I choose are always of high qual.