PDA

View Full Version : Dual action random orbital polisher?

CEE DOG
08-15-2009, 08:50 PM
I am a newb for this. I have only done polishing by hand and even that I am new to! I am considering buying a machine and start practicing on my old cars. What machine should I buy and what should I know about what pads etc to get?

ryandamartini
08-15-2009, 08:58 PM
It depends. I would say that if you are just going to do your own car, you would be happy with the new Porter Cable XP. If you are thinking of ever branching out and doing other cars for side money, you should look at the FLEX.

For pads, you have the EDGE system which some like and some do not, but I think it is pretty cool and convienient so have hot swap double sided pads.

The other pad type is the LC pads which for PC should be flat or the CCS which is just useless to me. You also have the cobra slotted pads.

My personal opinion is that the best PC pads are just pads that are plain and flat surfaced. I have not noticed any difference at all from the classic flat pads to all the fancy ones. The only pads Ive truly noticed a difference from is the Kompressor pads on the rotary.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
08-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Menzerna kit, 5.5 lake country pads, porter cable menzerna kit, ceramic clear polishing kit, Mercedes polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-menzerna-ceramic-kit.html)

That's a great kit for a beginner. It pretty much has everything you will need. Of course this is addicting and once you start reading and learning more, you will want more. Welcome to the forum. :)

2003 GMC Denali
08-15-2009, 09:49 PM
I too am looking for a starter set, but I like the Griot machine. The Bail Handle looks like it would be more comfortable to use in the long runs. The Griot also looks like it has better specs than the PC-XP.

Just a couple of hours left for me to buy my order with 20% off.

2003 GMC Denali
08-15-2009, 09:50 PM
GRIOTS Buffer...

Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-polisher.html)

VISITOR
08-15-2009, 10:11 PM
the Flex would be the best choice, if you could swing the cost which is about $300. otherwise, i would get the PC7424XP or G110 (you can't go wrong with either of them). i would hold off on the new Griots D/A, until there is more feedback on it...

Buckskincolt
08-15-2009, 11:01 PM
I have of the NEW Griot's buffer and love it. I only have the old PC not the new XP to compare to, the G has a lot more power to turn 6.5" pads. So far I would not hesitate to buy another. Keep in mind I'm a noob too!

2003 GMC Denali
08-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Do you worry about the little cushion you have between the 6" backing plate and the 6.5" pads on the Griot DA Buffer ?

Are you worried you might damage your paint with so little of a Pad sticking past the Backing Plate ?

VISITOR
08-16-2009, 02:43 AM
I have of the NEW Griot's buffer and love it. I only have the old PC not the new XP to compare to, the G has a lot more power to turn 6.5" pads. So far I would not hesitate to buy another. Keep in mind I'm a noob too!

anyway of posting a video of it on from speed 1 though 6?

Nappers
08-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Having mostly used Meguiar's products, can't go wrong with the G100/PC7424 or other variants and the new PC7424XP. Meguiar's has a G110 that is made to Meguiar's specifications and appears to be a great machine and has a more oomph than the original PC7424.

pads? I use Meguiar's pads, 8007/8207 for polishing- 9007/9207 for finishing and I have 8007/8207 pads for cutting when needed.

AG has a great selection of Dual Action kits.....

Car Buffers, Car Polishers..... (http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html)

ScottB
08-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Grab any of the Menzerna kits with smaller pads as possible, easy to use and rewarding , very rewarding.

Buckskincolt
08-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Do you worry about the little cushion you have between the 6" backing plate and the 6.5" pads on the Griot DA Buffer ?

Are you worried you might damage your paint with so little of a Pad sticking past the Backing Plate ?

I just measured the backing plate and it measures 5 3/4". I haven't had any issues with even getting close to damaging paint but remember I'm a noob too and have not had this unit long at all. I just posted my 2 cents because there is so little info on the new Griot's orbital. This unit is now supposed to take smaller backing plates so you can use smaller pads. I have a smaller plate and some 4" pads ordered for doing pillars and such I'll let you know if it fits.

As Killr said, the kits that AG has on this site are a good deal for all you get, And Believe me when I say you WILL be buying more stuff once you get it, so you might as well take advantage of the kit pricing. like this one Menzerna kit, 5.5 lake country pads, porter cable menzerna kit, ceramic clear polishing kit, Mercedes polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-menzerna-ceramic-kit.html) You will need to ask someone about the polishes in that kit because I can't tell you the difference between a ceramic polish and a regular one (noob talk) also notice that they package a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads so I don't think that the 6" backing plate on 6.5" pads that comes with the Griot's is at all an issue to worry about.

anyway of posting a video of it on from speed 1 though 6?

Sorry BigAl, I don't have any way to take a video. I'll check with some friends to see if they have one....then I will need to figure out how to post it if I do get it.....just making a post on the forum is a challenge to me!

Maybe something A/G folks can do is a head to head comparison on the new orbital polishers. ???

2003 GMC Denali
08-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I was planning on buying the smaller Griot 3" Buffer as well. The idea of using the bigger and more powerful Griot machine in tighter quarters doesn't appeal to me as a newbie to the hobby/sport of Paint Correction.

The smaller machine, with it's smaller Pads and lighter overall weight makes me feel it'll be easier to use in those places where the bigger one would be more intimidating.

I have a Black GMC Sierra Denali with QuadraSteer. The Back Fenders are similar to a Step-side and have lots of curves and corners.

I have very few hours left to take advantage of the 20% off and while I know that the 20% off doesn't apply to the machines, I want to get everything at once and take advantage of the reduced shipping charges to Canada, cause we don't get a break like you guys in the South get.

Plus, I get to buy another tool.

Buckskincolt
08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
I was planning on buying the smaller Griot 3" Buffer as well. The idea of using the bigger and more powerful Griot machine in tighter quarters doesn't appeal to me as a newbie to the hobby/sport of Paint Correction.

The smaller machine, with it's smaller Pads and lighter overall weight makes me feel it'll be easier to use in those places where the bigger one would be more intimidating.

I have a Black GMC Sierra Denali with QuadraSteer. The Back Fenders are similar to a Step-side and have lots of curves and corners.

I have very few hours left to take advantage of the 20% off and while I know that the 20% off doesn't apply to the machines, I want to get everything at once and take advantage of the reduced shipping charges to Canada, cause we don't get a break like you guys in the South get.

Plus, I get to buy another tool.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've been drooling over that 3" Griot's as well as a Montana boars hair brush, a foam master foam gun, and ............................:eek: Shes going to kill me unless I go slow! The good thing is my birthday is close and Christmas is not far off as well, now for the big discounts!:wave: