PDA

View Full Version : Best Polishes to use under Zaino?...HELP!

Buckskincolt
08-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Hello,

I'm reading that some polishes don't work well under polymer sealants like Zaino Z2 and Z5? So what line of polishes are going to give me the least trouble and not effect the durability and clarity of the Zaino products? I currently have Have the Menzerna IP PO91E and the FP PO85U (Menzerna intro kit) on order. Do you think I will be OK or will I need to clean off the residue with something before applying the Zaino products to avoid cloudiness and durability issues? If this is not a good choice to use under Zaino what is? I can return them before use and get different products if there is a better match. Maybe the PB line? OK I'm all ears!Feed back please

Wow, I just want to take care of my cars and now I find I need to be a chemist to do it!:joking:

rwisejr
08-15-2009, 05:33 AM
I have used Menzera,Optimum ,Meguiars polishes with no problems under Zaino.You should always do an IPA wipe down to make sure all of the polishes oils are removed from the paint before any sealant application. Plus wiyh Zaino I always liked to give it a good base so I always used the ZAIO .Which is a very good paint cleaner.Then you will have no issues

CharlesW
08-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Why not use one of the Zaino prep products? :confused:
While not absolutely necessary, using Z-PC or Z-AIO should eliminate any question of compatibility.

(Kind of like Ron said. I didn't read his post.)

Buckskincolt
08-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Wow, thanks for the quick replys guys!:dblthumb2:

I have used Menzera,Optimum ,Meguiars polishes with no problems under Zaino.You should always do an IPA wipe down to make sure all of the polishes oils are removed from the paint before any sealant application. Plus with Zaino I always liked to give it a good base so I always used the ZAIO .Which is a very good paint cleaner.Then you will have no issues

OK Thank you. I just need to get used to a IPA wipe no matter which polishes I use. That's simple enough. I do use the ZAIO as a base for Z2 & Z5 so I'm on target with that. Thank You rwisejr, I'm brand new at all this and appreciate your help. :cheers:

Why not use one of the Zaino prep products? :confused:
While not absolutely necessary, using Z-PC or Z-AIO should eliminate any question of compatibility.

(Kind of like Ron said. I didn't read his post.)

Charles, Z-PC and Z-AIO I have used but I'm looking for more correction. My mom has a 2003 Tahoe that has never been even waxed and looks pretty sad. I needed some more aggressive polishes than what Z offers. Z doesn't even recommend random orbital application for his products and I'm not tough enough to take this on by hand. LOL

I will follow your advice to use the ZAIO after any polishes I use. Thanks for your feedback!:xyxthumbs:

ScottB
08-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Menzerna works well with Zaino .. never had any compatibility problems with Menzerna with any wax or sealant.

CharlesW
08-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Z doesn't even recommend random orbital application for his products and I'm not tough enough to take this on by hand. LOL
I'm not a Zaino fan, but this information is from the Zaino site:
(Note #3 and the tip for more bite.)

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Note: For best results, use on a cool surface, out of direct sunlight. Product may be used in the sun or on a hot surface, but more dusting and minor streaking may occur.

Wash and dry your vehicle as normal.
For HAND use: apply a small amount of Zaino Z-PC Fusion to a cotton or foam applicator pad (draw an "X" from corner-to corner of your pad). Work a small area (no bigger than 2' x 2') with the Zaino Fusion, using firm motions. Work the product for as long as necessary - stop to occasionally check your progress. Circular motions may be used, but always finish with front-to-back or up-and-down motions. When satisfied with progress, continue to step 4.
For MACHINE use: Can be used by random orbital or (for experienced users) rotary. Select a moderate speed (RO - 4.5; Rotary - 1200rpm) and an appropriate cutting or polishing pad. Apply Zaino Z-PC Fusion to the buffer pad in a "star" pattern. Start machine slowly to reduce sling. Work a small (2' x 2') area with moderate pressure until satisfied with results.
Buff the area clean with a soft, lint-free, non-marring towel. If satisfied with the results, proceed to next section. If more buffing is required, repeat either step 2 or 3. Problem areas like door handles (where keys often scratch) may require a few applications for best results.
When done, apply either: Zaino ZFX enabled Z-2 PRO, Z-3, or Z-5 to the surface for a long lasting, great looking shine that will lock-in the results of your work with Zaino Z-PC Fusion. Tip: If more "bite" is desired, you can mist a slight amount of clean water (from a spray bottle) while using Z-PC Fusion. The water will interfere with the buffers that encapsulate the abrasives and will produce a slightly stronger result. Water can also be used to minimize dusting when using a machine buffer (random orbital or rotary).

Buckskincolt
08-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Menzerna works well with Zaino .. never had any compatibility problems with Menzerna with any wax or sealant.

Killr, are you saying I can Skip the IPA wipe down and be just fine? That would be nice if that's the case. Thanks!

I'm not a Zaino fan, but this information is from the Zaino site:
(Note #3 and the tip for more bite.)

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Note: For best results, use on a cool surface, out of direct sunlight. Product may be used in the sun or on a hot surface, but more dusting and minor streaking may occur.

Wash and dry your vehicle as normal.
For HAND use: apply a small amount of Zaino Z-PC Fusion to a cotton or foam applicator pad (draw an "X" from corner-to corner of your pad). Work a small area (no bigger than 2' x 2') with the Zaino Fusion, using firm motions. Work the product for as long as necessary - stop to occasionally check your progress. Circular motions may be used, but always finish with front-to-back or up-and-down motions. When satisfied with progress, continue to step 4.
For MACHINE use: Can be used by random orbital or (for experienced users) rotary. Select a moderate speed (RO - 4.5; Rotary - 1200rpm) and an appropriate cutting or polishing pad. Apply Zaino Z-PC Fusion to the buffer pad in a "star" pattern. Start machine slowly to reduce sling. Work a small (2' x 2') area with moderate pressure until satisfied with results.
Buff the area clean with a soft, lint-free, non-marring towel. If satisfied with the results, proceed to next section. If more buffing is required, repeat either step 2 or 3. Problem areas like door handles (where keys often scratch) may require a few applications for best results.
When done, apply either: Zaino ZFX enabled Z-2 PRO, Z-3, or Z-5 to the surface for a long lasting, great looking shine that will lock-in the results of your work with Zaino Z-PC Fusion.Tip: If more "bite" is desired, you can mist a slight amount of clean water (from a spray bottle) while using Z-PC Fusion. The water will interfere with the buffers that encapsulate the abrasives and will produce a slightly stronger result. Water can also be used to minimize dusting when using a machine buffer (random orbital or rotary).

Thanks Charles, I guess I some how missed that....I thought I had read the entire site at least three times LOL. I'll need to try the water trick and see what that does.
I really like the Zaino products because they hold up really well against the salt here in the Pacific NW. I live right on the beach and Oregon winters can be tough on paint and we don't get much of a chance to re detail in the winter, so most nuba waxes are out for me.
I like the look of Zaino as well. I must say I'm always open to suggestions to products who people think perform better. I've tried the Klasse AIO and did not like the 24hr time to dry here in the humid weather. It really did not buff off all that easy either. I know it's supposed to be a great product but it didn't work to well for me....And it just could be me too!:p