PDA

View Full Version : nxt 2.0 vs m21

KyCatFan
08-14-2009, 02:26 AM
I know these are very similar. M21 is pretty much the same product, but you can apply it with a rotary. I have read that some people think m21 keeps its look longer. Whats your thoughts? I really like the look of nxt, but it would be nice if it would keep its look longer.Feed back please

Emile
08-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Never tried M21, but have heard impressive things regarding the durability.

I have heard not very impressive things regarding NXT 2.0's durability, but I'm a big fan of the way NXT 2.0 looks on a Black vehicle compared to waxes at ANY price. I usually like to use Ultimate Quik Detailer to refresh the shine and durability of NXT 2.0.

m4bama
08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
M21 stays wetter because its made to wrk with a PC but can be applied by hand has some abrasive cleaners in it.
NXT has just chemical cleaners in it to get a good bond with the paint.

RaskyR1
08-14-2009, 10:20 AM
It's my understanding that M21 was forumulated so that it can be applied with a rotary. Other than that I do not believe it has any more cleaners than NXT (which are very mild) and is basically the same in terms of protection. Neither one is considered a cleaner.

You can also order M21 in larger sizes.

IMO applying wax with a rotary is a bad idea unless you work in a high volume shop.

I'm sure Mike P will comment further. ;)

23jam
08-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I like #21 2.0. Never had any problems with it. Very durable.

Mike Phillips
08-14-2009, 04:50 PM
It's basically the same product, the formula for M21 has been tweaked so that it can be applied using a rotary buffer which means it's been tweaked so that it can be subjected to higher temperatures and still perform well as a rotary buffer generates heat fairly quickly.

Meguiar's doesn't really promote applying waxes using a rotary buffer as it will tend to leave swirls in the surface but some in the detailing industry apply waxes this way so you have to take this into consideration when creating a formula for a target market.

Most detailing operations are production oriented, that is how fast can they buff a car out and then push it out the door so the next car can be brought in. So it's about speed first, not quality. That's why some products in our line are formulated so that they can be applied using a rotary buffer, it's not that it's the best way to apply a product, it's just the reality of how the industry works.

:)

KyCatFan
08-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks everyone for posting. I also like how nxt looks on black. Welcome Mike, glad to have you on here. I really learned alot reading your posts over at Megs.:welcome:

Mike Phillips
08-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Just another note on M21 and NXT...

Generally speaking professional detailers tend to use products from the professional side of the industry not the consumer side of the industry. One reason for this is perception by their customers. The thought process goes like this, when a detailer is creating their magic on a customer's car there's a more powerful perception on the part of their customer if they see the detailer using professional grade products, not the same stuff the customer either already has in their garage or sees at the local auto parts store or some place like Walmart.

Does that make sense?

If a customer sees the detailer using Turtle Wax on their baby there's a part of their thought process that says, "heck I could do this". So there's no perception of exclusive, or premium products being used on their car. So most pro detailers trend towards professional products for this reason as well a a jillion other reasons like buying in bulk sizes and of course higher quality products and more niche products that are specifically formulated for dedicated procedures.

With all the above in mind, a pro detailer using Meguiar's would usually choose M21 over NXT if they like the results these product give because the M21 is in the Professional Line and thus give the perception to the average Joe Consumer that the detailer is using exclusive, premium product on their baby.

Make sense?

Now here's my twist on the above; when I detail a customer's car with Meguiar's, instead of using M21 I would use NXT and the reason for this is because after I'm done I want my customer to be able to continue maintaining their car and I know they can find NXT but unless they know what a PBE store is they won't be able to find M21 and you always want to make it easy on your customer to do something, not difficult.

Of course now that I'm here at Autogeek I can simply leave my Autogeek business card with them as it has our online store website address on the front and I can write the name of what they need to order on the back, and best of all we carry just about everything!

Anyway, just a little twist why some people might choose one product over the other.

p.s.

There's two types of auto parts stores here in the U.S.A, not sure how they do things in other countries.

PBE Store = Paint, Body & Equipment. This is an auto parts store that caters to the body shop industry. You can still buy all the auto parts you would find at a Hard Parts store like a starter motor or spark plugs, but in the back room they have isles of paints and solvents and usually a guy generically called the paint mixer.

Hard Parts Store = This would be your normal auto parts store, for example Autozone, Kragen, Pep Boys, etc. These carry everything car related but they don't cater to the body shop industry and don't have a section of the store dedicated to paint supplies and body shop supplies for your local body shops.

:)