PDA

View Full Version : do you have to clay bar b4 every wax?

Pages : [1] 2

DiSpLiFF
08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
i know its good to use claybar before waxing, but do you have to use it every time?

if washing doesn't take off old wax, is there anyhting that does?

Mike Phillips
08-13-2009, 06:12 PM
After washing your car or wiping it clean, you use you clean hand to feel the paint and check for above surface bonded contaminants and if discovered then you would clay the paint.

Claying removes most all the wax off the surface so if you clay you should always build-in the time to at a minimum re-wax the vehicle.

If you want to strip off the old wax to lay down a fresh coat you can do this by using any mild paint cleaner or cleaner/polish.

If you do this often then maybe consider using a good quality cleaner/wax.

:)

maddenbowler
08-13-2009, 06:20 PM
get a plastic bag and put your hand in it. Run your hand over the paint and if it feels rough then you should clay. To remove all old wax there is stronger soap you can buy, paint cleaner, or you can do an IPA wipedown

IPA=Iso alcohol and water mix

Jimmie
08-13-2009, 07:12 PM
i know its good to use claybar before waxing, but do you have to use it every time?
Good advice from the guys above but once you've clayed your car you won't have to do it very often. I probably average twice a year on mine.

Emile
08-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Claying will remove old wax, but the purpose of claying is to remove embedded contamination that normal washing just does not remove.

If you want to prep your paint for new wax/sealant that doesn't have any cleaners, I suggest a wipe-down with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA). Just use a quality microfiber towel and spray and wipe down the paint as if you were using a quick detailer. That will remove all of the existing paint protection and will allow the wax to bond to the surface nicely.

You can even mix the IPA 50/50 with water and it will still easily remove all the wax. You don't have to do it, but diluting it will not use as much alcohol and will get the job done just fine.

DiSpLiFF
08-13-2009, 09:50 PM
thanks for the quick responses :xyxthumbs: appreciate the help

how often does everyone wax their car?

AustinAaron
08-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Will IPA damage the clear coat? Probably a stupid question, but I've never used it.

maddenbowler
08-14-2009, 01:10 AM
No, no damage to the clearcoat. Just removes all the waxes and leaves the paint LSP ready

Billd0957
08-14-2009, 06:19 AM
So if I want to re-polish the car before winter would these steps be appropiate?

1. wash car
2. IPA (to remove the old wax
3. Polish to remove swirls
4. IPA ( to remove polish residue)
5. Glaze
6. wax

awheeler3296
08-14-2009, 07:10 AM
I wash, plastic bag test and if needed clay bar and wash again before wax.

Emile
08-14-2009, 07:15 AM
DisPliff, I really enjoy waxing my car so I like to wax every week or every other week. It's completely unnecessary but I enjoy it and choose to do it frequently. After around a month or two, I like to do an alcohol wipe-down and start all over again. I can't seem to stick with one combination for very long because there are so many good sealants and waxes out there !!

Billd, your method looks great.

gewb
08-14-2009, 12:20 PM
So if I want to re-polish the car before winter would these steps be appropiate?

1. wash car
2. IPA (to remove the old wax
3. Polish to remove swirls
4. IPA ( to remove polish residue)
5. Glaze
6. wax

Yes. I would make your step 6 as "seal" than add step 7 "wax" but that's just me.

Regards,
GEWB

Billd0957
08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
any suggestions on sealants?

Rsurfer
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
any suggestions on sealants?
Wolfgang 3.0, UPGP, 4*, Blackfire, OS.

DiSpLiFF
08-14-2009, 02:39 PM
where do you purchase the IPA? can i get it from a place like canadian tire? or just drug stores