PDA

View Full Version : Need A Few Tips Please

PearlWhiteGT
08-13-2009, 11:36 AM
I bought a Flex 3401 a while back & want to put it to use on my girlfriends red infiniti G35 coupe. I just have a few questions before I start. I plan on getting some Sip & Nano plus a sealant. I have never detailed before.

1. What do I need to tape off before I begin polishing?
2. How many pads of each color do I need to finsh the car?
3. What is the best size pad for the Flex 3401?
4. Which pads should I use as far as brand?
5. What's the difference between PB EX-P & EX w/ Carnauba? Which one is better?

Here is what I have so far.

Flex 3401
SSR 2.5
SSR 1
PB Final Polish
Orange, White & Grey pad
Natty's Blue
Lots of MF towels

Thanks!!!!!

maddenbowler
08-13-2009, 01:05 PM
pb ex-p and ex with caranuba........
The PB ex-p is a pure sealant and probably doesnt produce the rich shine that the EX with caranuba does.

I have the EX w caranuba and love it. It is my go to sealant as of now

PearlWhiteGT
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
pb ex-p and ex with caranuba........
The PB ex-p is a pure sealant and probably doesnt produce the rich shine that the EX with caranuba does.

I have the EX w caranuba and love it. It is my go to sealant as of now

Thanks!

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
08-13-2009, 01:46 PM
I bought a Flex 3401 a while back & want to put it to use on my girlfriends red infiniti G35 coupe. I just have a few questions before I start. I plan on getting some Sip & Nano plus a sealant. I have never detailed before.

1. What do I need to tape off before I begin polishing?
2. How many pads of each color do I need to finsh the car?
3. What is the best size pad for the Flex 3401?
4. Which pads should I use as far as brand?
5. What's the difference between PB EX-P & EX w/ Carnauba? Which one is better?

Here is what I have so far.

Flex 3401
SSR 2.5
SSR 1
PB Final Polish
Orange, White & Grey pad
Natty's Blue
Lots of MF towels

Thanks!!!!!

That definitely is a great start you have. For sure get SIP/Nano...you will love it. As far as pads go, what you have there is good. You should have about 4 of each color. You should also pick up some blue pads and use those instead of the grey because grey pads still have a slight cut to them. Go with a pure sealant OR a carnauba. I've used a pure sealant and topped it with a nuba before, but didn't see any noticeable difference. Natty's blue is amazing, you will love it. If you end up going with just a pure sealant, go with Wolfgang DGPS, it's absolutely amazing. I like the CCS pads and I wouldn't go any bigger than 5.5". Try and get some 4" pads too for the tight places.

TheDodgeGuy
08-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Tape off all rubber,vinyl, trim that you will be buffing next to. Use 6.5 in pads.

Without knowing the condition of the car it is difficult to to estimate number of pads you will use. look at the Lake Country CCS pads at the AG store and their description in order for you to have a better understanding of what you will need.

Hope that helps. Have a blast with the Flex, it rocks!

PearlWhiteGT
08-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Isn't the backing plate 5.5"? The pads I have are 6.5". Are they too big for the Flex?

Also, what di I need to tape off?

PearlWhiteGT
08-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Tape off all rubber,vinyl, trim that you will be buffing next to. Use 6.5 in pads.

Without knowing the condition of the car it is difficult to to estimate number of pads you will use. look at the Lake Country CCS pads at the AG store and their description in order for you to have a better understanding of what you will need.

Hope that helps. Have a blast with the Flex, it rocks!

Thanks!

gwilo
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
For pads the most you will need are as follows

SSR 2.5 (1 orange then 1 white)
SSR 1 (1 white then 1 grey)
PB Final Polish (1 grey or 1 blue)
Natty's Blue (1 blue or 1 Red)

Do not use the same pad for different products (i.e. SSR 2.5 if you use the white pad, not not use that pad for SSR 1 .... get a marker and write on the side of the pad what product was used)

Orange, White & Grey pad

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
For pads the most you will need are as follows

SSR 2.5 (1 orange then 1 white)
SSR 1 (1 white then 1 grey)
PB Final Polish (1 grey or 1 blue)
Natty's Blue (1 blue or 1 Red)

Do not use the same pad for different products (i.e. SSR 2.5 if you use the white pad, not not use that pad for SSR 1 .... get a marker and write on the side of the pad what product was used)

Orange, White & Grey pad

You will need way more than one of each pad to do an entire car. You need at least 4 of every pad.

And LC makes a 5" backing plate for 5.5" pads. I've never used the Flex, however since it is more powerful than the PC, I would assume 6.5" pads would work ok with it. I would still use only 5.5" and 4" pads though.

gewb
08-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Isn't the backing plate 5.5"? The pads I have are 6.5". Are they too big for the Flex?

Also, what di I need to tape off?

6.5" size is just right.

It will take the 5.5" pad but it leaves no room for error re: scuffing the backing plate against the finish at a transition point - be carefull with the 5.5".

Regards,
GEWB

BarryK
08-13-2009, 05:50 PM
6.5" size is just right.

It will take the 5.5" pad but it leaves no room for error re: scuffing the backing plate against the finish at a transition point - be carefull with the 5.5".

Regards,
GEWB

:iagree: I have the flex 3401 and the 6.5" pads are perfect with the standard backing plate.

opinions on which type of pad differ but i've been using the 6.5" LC CCS pads and have had good luck with them.

You can never have too many pads but on an average sized car I usually use 2 pads of each color per car but a very poor condition car or a very large vehicle (think Suburban or Hummer H1) will need more - say 3 or 4 pads.

By number of pads required I'm talking per product/pad color so if you determine from your initial test spot that a white pad works with your polish than you will so many white ones -, etc.

I have use Orange pads only on the worst cars usually with my Megs M105.
I use White pads the most so keep more of them than anything else.
I also keep a number of Gray and Blue pads

PearlWhiteGT
08-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the tips guys!!!