PDA

View Full Version : Best method for solidified tar/ahphalt on rims.

Koast
08-12-2009, 07:18 PM
I was working on the vehicle today that had solid asphalt/tar on the inside of the rims (aluminum), needless to say it was difficult to reach. The tar/asphalt didn't seem to come loose unless I used significant pressure and even then some was so hard it wasn't moving.

I'm not sure if it set for an extended period of time, but I would have assumed so based on the cleanliness of the rest of the vehicle (2006 Toyota) that it had never been extensively cleaned.

I used a rim cleaner, which worked for the dirt but marginally to nothing for the tar/asphalt. I also tried a water based degreaser to try and loosen the tar/asphalt and agin it was marginal to nothing.

Could I use a bug & tar remover on a rim? Is that the method some of you pro's would take? Any products you would recommend (for cleaning products and tools)? Would these products work on Aluminum, Chrome & Powered Coated Wheels?

Thanks in Advance.

Emile
08-12-2009, 08:36 PM
High-alkaline cleaners are good at removing tar if you let them dwell for a minute or so, such as DP Cleanse-All. You may additionally need to use a bug & tar sponge to scrub it off, which would require removing the wheel if you have the time.

Lasthope05
08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I dont really find High-Alkaline cleaners to really do much to dried tar. Your best bet is a petroleum distillate type of product. Kerosene, mineral spirits, Tarminator.. etc. Remember oil cleans oil and tar is a by product of crude oil.

rwisejr
08-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Go to Walmart and get some PREP-All out of the bodyshop supply Isle .Pour some on a rag and let it sit for a bit it will melt it away

agpatel
08-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Go to Walmart and get some PREP-All out of the bodyshop supply Isle .Pour some on a rag and let it sit for a bit it will melt it away

Yep that will work or get yourself some Xylene from Home Depot in the paint section. Just wear chem gloves as Xylene is not good to have all over your skin and what not.

oldmodman
08-16-2009, 08:14 PM
I pull the wheel off and lay a rag soaked in Naptha on the tar. After about half an hour it has all softened and can be washed off. It takes a while but the Naptha doesn't seen to hurt wheel paint or clearcoat.

killrflake
08-16-2009, 09:38 PM
That product made by 3M called adhesive and tar remover is very effective in getting tar and the like off of wheels and such. Of course after using it I follow up with soap and water and then the protectent of choice. I've never had any nasty side effects after using it.

Rsurfer
08-16-2009, 09:41 PM
I dont really find High-Alkaline cleaners to really do much to dried tar. Your best bet is a petroleum distillate type of product. Kerosene, mineral spirits, Tarminator.. etc. Remember oil cleans oil and tar is a by product of crude oil.+1:iagree::dblthumb2:

ScottB
08-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Tarminator always worked for me, Wd40 works in a pinch too.