PDA

View Full Version : Sterling Silver

Darren F
09-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Would it be safe to use a product like AIO or Prime to polish a Sterling Silver Tiffany Frame? It has a little bit of tarnish on it and was thinking about using some on it to clean it up

Meghan
09-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Tiffany frame??? :o I am not sure I would use AIO!! I would get a Sterling Silver cleaner, I have a Tiffany's bracelet (sterling silver) and I would not consider AIO on it, just because I see the work it does on my vehicle and not sure I want it on my bracelet. Try some silver cleaner first, if its not strong enough then try AIO but try in the bottom corner where no one can see incase it is to rough. :confused: Just my .02...
Regardless let us know how it goes.

ScottB
09-15-2006, 08:52 PM
A real car detailing nut would try it ....crap, I remember when I AIO'd the entire shower including the floor. Who knew water and soap would sit on top of the tile. OUCH !!

Surfer
09-15-2006, 11:01 PM
A real car detailing nut would try it ....crap, I remember when I AIO'd the entire shower including the floor. Who knew water and soap would sit on top of the tile. OUCH !!I'm picturing Scott on the "help I've fallen and I can't get up" commercial. Damn gold chains weighing you down:D

I would just buy cleaner specifically for silver, I know my sister and mother have different kinds for all their jewelry.

jim/larry
09-16-2006, 05:19 AM
Check out the English custom polish,works wonders on all metals

JoeD
09-16-2006, 07:44 AM
I have been in the antique business for a few years now and the best polish I have used for Sterling Silver and Gold is Simichrome Polish. Just make sure you use a good applicator that won't scratch. Sterling Silver is on the soft side and scratches easily. Sicichrome is a Great Metal Polish. It will also polish white metal too look like chrome if you have the patience to polish it. I had a 1966 Triumph Motorcycle and polished the carburetor which was white metal and many people thought I had it chromed.

Darren F
09-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I was just figuring if it is good enough for the paint on my car it would be ok on sterling silver....What could it possibly do to the silver?