PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of minor scratches by hand pls help

DiSpLiFF
08-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi, i recently bought my first car which is a used 2008 black magic pearl GTI. I've noticed a few minor scratches (i did the nail test) on the back of the car on the top of the bumper. I've looked through these forumns for help and most of the advice is to do it with a porter cable machine. Unfortunately at this time I really don't have the money to invest into this machine (yes in the future).

Anyways i was looking for some advice on steps to try and get rid of them by hand, good products etc. I'm in toronto canada so a lot of the products that I can get are limited. I was thinking of purchasing the meguiar's 3 step polish/wax system. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

maddenbowler
08-09-2009, 11:04 AM
meguiars scratch-x would probably work

DiSpLiFF
08-09-2009, 11:19 AM
yes i've seen it and have looked on the internet about reviews, a lot of people are saying Nu Finish scratch doctor is actually a better product. Anyone have any comments on that?

unclestu
08-09-2009, 11:50 AM
yes i've seen it and have looked on the internet about reviews, a lot of people are saying Nu Finish scratch doctor is actually a better product. Anyone have any comments on that?
:Picture:
How about posting some pics. It is better to give advise when you see the actual imperfections that are being talked about.

DiSpLiFF
08-09-2009, 12:19 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5498/dsc0560s.jpg

is the link to the photo, it just rained so i had to dry off the area a bit. Thanks for any help in advance. ( i took the shot like 5 inches from the bumper).

tWiStEd-tORqUe
08-09-2009, 01:03 PM
i don't think scratch-x can remove those , u said that u did the nail test and from the look of the Pics you can feel them ? so your best bet is a PC (WG TSR or Menz 106FA ) since our cars have hard Clear

Jimmie
08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
You may not be able to remove it but you can improve the looks a lot. Put a microfiber over the tip of your finger, put some Scratch X on it, rub the scratch length ways (not back and forth across the scratch). This will round off the edges so they don't reflect as much light at the edge. It may totally remove some scratch at each end. Then touch up paint for the deep areas that you can still catch with your fingernail.

Rsurfer
08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Meg's Ultimate Compound by hand will get most of the scratches out, but for the deeper ones, do what Jimmie suggested. When you get a machine you can wet sand those areas.

Matt
08-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Meg's Ultimate Compound by hand will get most of the scratches out, but for the deeper ones, do what Jimmie suggested. When you get a machine you can wet sand those areas.

:iagree::whs:
That's your best bet by hand.

DiSpLiFF
08-09-2009, 05:23 PM
i took those shots with a digital slr zoomed in, they actually look a lot worse via the picture than in real life. But you can't feel any with the finger nail.

DiSpLiFF
08-09-2009, 05:28 PM
ok so i'll try the meg's compound, and after that i need something lighter to smooth it out correct? like compound = more abrassive, and polish is less abrassive?

Rsurfer
08-09-2009, 06:44 PM
ok so i'll try the meg's compound, and after that i need something lighter to smooth it out correct? like compound = more abrassive, and polish is less abrassive?It's called a compound and usually you need to finish down with a polish, but MUC finishes down nicely.

DiSpLiFF
08-09-2009, 07:02 PM
alright i'll try that, and post my results at some point. Really appreciate all the info.