PDA

View Full Version : Professional Training

Pages : [1] 2 3

AustinAaron
08-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Did my searches. Gone through all the posts.

Really hoping to hear some concepts I have yet to research. I've tried local detailers. Tried to get on as hourly help. No one local is willing to really train what could be competition. Have talked with a Texas professional we all know and respect. Think that might actually come to fruition.

In the interim, any schools/training any of you would recommend? Have heard stellar things regarding Renny Doyle. Even sent Paul Dalton an email. No response. No surprise. Haha.

Very interested in formal training. Thoughts? Any past students of other schools, etc...?

JCruiza120
08-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Look into local auto dealers, see if they are looking for car washers or detailers? It's training that you get paid for! lol

AustinAaron
08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Appreciate the response JCruiza! Did head over to a few dealers near my home. Many already had teams in place. Others asked all the expected ?'s. i.e. - "Experience w/ a rotary? Samples of your ability? etc..."

I've got neither. I mean, I've washed/waxed my own, family's, girlfriend's, and others. But no experience on rotary/DA. Well, take that back. I did burn through the paint on a practice hood found in my neighbor's backyard. :D

So, figure professional training would be best before I touch my own vehicle. I'd beat my own ass if I messed up my H3! IMO, seems dealer training would kind of be like the blind leading the blind.

Blackthorn One
08-08-2009, 11:48 PM
I attended an ROP class on auto detailing 20 years ago.

AustinAaron
08-08-2009, 11:55 PM
ROP? Sorry, Blackthornone. Unfamiliar with the acronym.

Meghan
08-09-2009, 08:36 AM
If you are willing to travel we will be starting up classes at Autogeek very soon.

AeroCleanse
08-09-2009, 09:48 AM
The Total Pro's based in SoCal

Blackthorn One
08-09-2009, 10:45 AM
ROP? Sorry, Blackthornone. Unfamiliar with the acronym.
Regional Occupational Program. Basically, it is a free program run by the government to teach people job skills. There are materials fees. They are held at local high schools and colleges.

N Orange County Regional Occupational Program (http://www.nocrop.tec.ca.us/)

JCruiza120
08-09-2009, 10:57 AM
If you don't mind paying for the training, look for mobile detailers in your area (If there is an automotive enthusiast forum or club for your state than this is perfect for finding helpful detailers) and pay them to do a full detail on your car at your home.

While they do it, take note on their steps, their products, the tools and techniques for buffing, etc. As long as they don't consider you competition, this shouldn't be a big issue, or if the detailer is a helpful person than this could be very beneficial to you. (Might want to ask when you call if they don't mind your supervision while they work, I'd imagine this could perturb some detaiers) - I've helped a few guys in my local MX-5 club with DA basics and such.

AustinAaron
08-09-2009, 11:59 AM
As far as I'm concerned, I could learn the old-fashioned way, acquiring knowledge at every screw up. Or, I could get some professional training to set me off in the right direction, quite possibly preventing me from having to learn the hard way! If I wanted to be a doctor, I wouldn't just go buy scalpels, call myself a doctor, and start operating . . . learning along the way.

Meghan - DEFINITELY down to travel for the right training. Please do keep me updated. Any possibility these classes will be full-week training seminars? Or, a class here, a class there? I don't doubt the authenticity of AG's ability to properly train. Know who will be doing the training? :cough: killrwheels?? :cough: And when? Not in a SUPER rush. Though, sooner the better! I can be on a plane next week. :D

AeroCleanse - I'll check them out! Saw them from a google search. Seems like they have a lot to offer. However, not entirely sure I'm looking for classes that ONLY use the Megs product line. Sure they're fantastic, but from several months of reading before even signing up to AG, I think I'd prefer other lines. <---- Personal preference. Not elitism. Also, seems their classes are offered to multiple students at a time. I'd pay more for 1-on-1. Which is why I was leaning towards Renny's classes. Not that I don't think community learning would suffice. But if it's MY money, then I want it to be MY time. However, with the money saved from a classroom seminar vs. 1-on-1, I could buy much needed products. Hmmmm.

Blackthornone - I googled "Travis County ROP". Nothing. Just my luck. Going to research that option at length, though. Would be nice to find something locally. Really appreciate the input!

JCruiza - We think the same. Exactly what I did. Found a very reputable Texas detailer, emailed him about the "detail follow", and seems that he is in agreement. That was my plan. Pay someone for the detail that didn't mind me around asking questions, then cut them off some extra for the extra time it took to show me why, or answer questions, technique, etc... Think that will give me the overview of what/when/why/where, then follow that up with an extended training program. That way when I hit the seminar, I will have at least some concept of what they are talking about.

maddenbowler
08-09-2009, 01:34 PM
AeroCleanse - I'll check them out! Saw them from a google search. Seems like they have a lot to offer. However, not entirely sure I'm looking for classes that ONLY use the Megs product line. Sure they're fantastic, but from several months of reading before even signing up to AG, I think I'd prefer other lines.

But once you learned how to use those products you could carry that over to other products. I use Poorboys polish and never used menzerna but i guarantee you I could use it and have good results. I would just learn the basics first.

And Get a porter cable. Almost impossible to burn throught the paint

JCruiza120
08-09-2009, 01:40 PM
However, not entirely sure I'm looking for classes that ONLY use the Megs product line. Sure they're fantastic, but from several months of reading before even signing up to AG, I think I'd prefer other lines. <---- Personal preference. Not elitism.

For a beginning detailer, the Meg's line is great. Prices are low, there are lots of products available OTC locally so you don't have to have everything shipped to you, and the quality is awesome. I got into my own detailing (after I'd already learned at a detail shop) by ordering a PC and some pads, and picking up some OTC Meg's compounds and waxes at my local wally-world, and it's really worked out for me.

When you step up to a higher level of detailing, and can honestly ask higher prices because you are giving a better service, than stepping up to different brands would be great. But Meg's is great beginner to intermediate and when you know how to use their professional brand than you'd be set to move on to whatever other products or brands you'd like.

I'm not saying not to try anything else, just that you should test out products for yourself before making a decision based on reading forums. It's sort of like the Zaino debate. Half the people in the elitist debate have NEVER TRIED THE PRODUCT. (God please don't turn this into a Zaino debate XD) ... Just my 2c.

AeroCleanse
08-09-2009, 03:49 PM
AeroCleanse - I'll check them out! Saw them from a google search. Seems like they have a lot to offer. However, not entirely sure I'm looking for classes that ONLY use the Megs product line. Sure they're fantastic, but from several months of reading before even signing up to AG, I think I'd prefer other lines. <---- Personal preference. Not elitism. Also, seems their classes are offered to multiple students at a time. I'd pay more for 1-on-1. Which is why I was leaning towards Renny's classes. Not that I don't think community learning would suffice. But if it's MY money, then I want it to be MY time. However, with the money saved from a classroom seminar vs. 1-on-1, I could buy much needed products. Hmmmm.

Your learning technique not product lines. They do offer 1-on-1 courses if you call them. They are a full course not just a one off seminar.

You can also track down Anthony Orosco, I think he's in TX

SRHTX
08-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Your learning technique not product lines. They do offer 1-on-1 courses if you call them. They are a full course not just a one off seminar.

You can also track down Anthony Orosco, I think he's in TX

I think Anthony is in the San Antonio, TX area. Next door to the Medical Center. I've considered going there for some training, where you have to do alot of detailing on things yourself. The perfect way of learning.

Stephen

Stephen

maddenbowler
08-09-2009, 05:38 PM
just keep practicing on the hood you have and keep reading on this site