PDA

View Full Version : How to progress with XMT polishes?

SiliconX
08-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone,

Long time member, but mostly just a lurker heh. I'm getting ready next week to do a polish on my 2006 Rallye Red Civic Si (first time using my PC7424). I have all the XMT polishes and and apretty much every pad there is. The swirls are evident, but not nearly as bad as you would expect from the 3.5 year old car with 33K kilometers on the clock.

Now Hondas have really soft finishes as I understand, so i'm thinking of starting with the XMT Ultra Fine #1 polish and a white pad on an area to see how it turns out. If it needs a bit more, should I move up to the XMT Fine #2 polish with a white pad? Or try the #1 again and move up to an orange pad?

Sorry if it's a bit of a dumb question, just never polished or used a polshing machine before so i'm a bit nervous about it. Here's a picture of my car from last summer, you can see the swirls. They're worse now obviously, but honestly, not by much.

I was going to use the XMT polishes, then the Finishing Glaze, then top with a couple coats of Souveran Paste.

http://members.shaw.ca/siliconx/Storage/edges_01.jpg

ryandamartini
08-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Rule of thumb tells you to start with the least aggressive combo first. However, the swirls are pretty visible. XMT2 and white pad would be a good start. XMT3 is where the cutting power really sets it apart.

GMC83
08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Do a test spot.

SiliconX
08-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Rule of thumb tells you to start with the least aggressive combo first. However, the swirls are pretty visible. XMT2 and white pad would be a good start. XMT3 is where the cutting power really sets it apart.

Ok. yeah I had planned to do a small spot first to test, i'll try starting with the XMT2 and a white pad and then try an orange pad if it still needs a bit more.

ryandamartini
08-07-2009, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Ok. yeah I had planned to do a small spot first to test, i'll try starting with the XMT2 and a white pad and then try an orange pad if it still needs a bit more.

Make sure to take pics :)