PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen this?

Xcessiv
08-05-2009, 08:41 PM
http://xcessiv.net/bubbles.jpg

I buffed this aftermarket rear wing last week with my orbital Flex. I really took care of generating no heat because i knew these plastic parts could react to heat. The passes were very fast (~10-15cm per second) without any pressure. The paint was still ice cold after each step:
- M105 on purple wool pad
- SIP on whipe pad
- PO106FA on black pad

Everything was perfect after the job but apparently, the day after, these bubbles appeared. How could this happen?

The body shop accepted to repaint it for free because it was a crappy job, but still... I'm wondering how could these steps generate such bubbles 24 hours later.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Very poor prep wortk is what caused the bubbles. If the surface isn't perfectly cleaned or if someone is using a silicone type product in the area it will cause what you are seeing.

BlkTAWS6
08-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Xcessive.......

Sorry to be off subject, but how are you liking that purple wool pad? been thinking about getting some.

ZoranC
08-06-2009, 12:57 AM
I buffed this aftermarket rear wing last week with my orbital Flex.
Everything was perfect after the job but apparently, the day after, these bubbles appeared. How could this happen?

The body shop accepted to repaint it for free because it was a crappy job, but still... I'm wondering how could these steps generate such bubbles 24 hours later.
Was this area (re)painted recently?

POPPAJ
08-06-2009, 10:48 AM
POOR paint prep!!

InTheBuff
08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I do not think that you did anything wrong with your buffing process.

Like all said, who ever painted the wing either had some trapped solvent bubbles, some fisheye or perhaps even had some pinholes in the raw wing. You just managed to find them.