PDA

View Full Version : Very Comprehensive Compound Chart

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Mike Phillips
08-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Can you dilute it somehow like another polish for lubrication to get the same effect. I have seen people put small beads on one aggressive and another one just for lubrication to add to working time?

There's a forum group on MOL called Hot Topics, which was a place I would move threads with topics that were common, popular or frequently brought up, or create articles that fell into this category and such was the case for your question. In the very near future you will see a *NEW* Hot Topics forum group here on AGO. :xyxthumbs:

I'm in the process of re-writing all or most of my articles on MOL to become new articles on AGO and this is very time consuming so everyone has to be patient.

That said, the article says that Meguiar's doesn't recommend diluting products like M105 but if a person feels the need then they recommend using M34 which is a body shop safe quick detailer and is the least likely to affect the intended performance of M105.

After detailing one car so far here in Florida I can see why some people may want to do this to increase the play time or buffing cycle of a product as it's hot and humid here, at least at the time I'm writing this. (August 17th, 2009)

How's that?

:)

sydster
08-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Great Chart! :dblthumb2:

But I think the 3M line is not complete, where would Ultrafine Polish fit in? How about the Machine Polish?

Thanks!

turbos17
11-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Love the chart!

Kris R
12-27-2009, 07:32 AM
WOW! Ive spent weeks trying to figure out these products! This is great! THANK YOU!

trencher7
12-27-2009, 02:32 PM
This is great. Thanks! It helped me see what I am missing in the line up. I have been using Ultimate Compound which I am just assuming is an 8-9 and finishing with #80 Speed Glaze which is a 4. I could probably use a finishing polish, but having light silver metallic paint not sure if it's a wasted effort.

Can someone put the pad chart link here?

Rsurfer
12-27-2009, 10:00 PM
This is great. Thanks! It helped me see what I am missing in the line up. I have been using Ultimate Compound which I am just assuming is an 8-9 and finishing with #80 Speed Glaze which is a 4. I could probably use a finishing polish, but having light silver metallic paint not sure if it's a wasted effort.

Can someone put the pad chart link here?
Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

Misha
12-31-2009, 02:18 PM
very nice. thanks a lot. this deff helps comparing compounds and polishes

WRAPT C5Z06
01-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Where does Meguiars Ultimate Compound fit in the mix?

arkus
01-25-2010, 10:46 PM
This is a great chart , is there one for pads ?

WRAPT C5Z06
01-26-2010, 01:41 AM
This is a great chart , is there one for pads ?
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/19741-lake-country-pad-chart.html

Doesn't have some of the newer pads, though.

Mike Phillips
01-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Where does Meguiar's Ultimate Compound fit in the mix?

Just a tick down from M105

M105 and M95 both have the same cut ability, they have different appearances and different feels to them when you physically feel them with your sense of touch, but the primary abrasive technology is identical.

Ultimate Compound is as close as I can find out, about the same or just a tick down from M105 and closer to M105 in appearance, feel and performance than M95

Before Ultimate Compound came out I did a lot of hands-on demonstrations for car clubs removing swirls, scratches and bird dropping etchings by hand using M105, like this one...

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25251)

Then after Ultimate Compound was introduced, using the same techniques that were used with M105 by hand in the above thread, we started showing UC by hand and with DA Polishers...

Scratch Removed by Hand using Ultimate Compound (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29753)

After UC and SwirlX were introduced the classes were switched over to show these Consumer products because the classes catered to enthusiasts, not Professionals.

M105, M205, M95, etc = The Professional Line
Ultimate Compound, SwirlX, ScratchX = The Consumer Line

It's generally best to show people products that are more formulated for their needs, thus Pro products for guy working on fresh paint in body shops, Consumer products for car clubs and car enthusiasts just wanting to remove the swirls out of their toys.

I don't tend to get too hung up on charts because while they can be a good "General Indicator", there are too many variables involved to make them the final word.

For example in the chart it shows M04 after M105 and M04 is an aggressive product but it uses Macro-Diminishing Abrasives and is nothing like M105 with it's SMA technology.

That's why forums like this are good because you can look at the chart for an indicator of the products you might need and then refine your decision by posting a question to this forum.

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
01-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks a lot Mike. :props:

I really like UC because it has a lot longer play time and easier to remove than 105. On top of that, the cut being just below 105, this is a my favorite product! If I don't need such an aggressive initial cut, there's always scratch x and swirl x. However, I really do like to finish with M205. I really like the idea of SMAt and don't see myself going away from it!

arkus
01-26-2010, 10:05 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/19741-lake-country-pad-chart.html

Doesn't have some of the newer pads, though.

Thanks Mark

Misha
07-25-2010, 10:42 AM
menzerna m203s(power finish) is not in mix, i know its tick down from SIP but still for others would be nice to know.
any other brand polishes will be updated? optimum spray compound or something if its not on there

fairlady350z
11-10-2010, 09:09 PM
This is an awesome table! I feel this can be very beneficial to people that are new to the detailing world, as well as the people who have been in it for a while. Thanks!