PDA

View Full Version : New Black Car-Urgh!

baroda5
09-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Well, after 3 previous black cars in my life and swearing to never go back....I'm back in the saddle again. Same ol' story, couldn't resist the price. This is a new to me car, an '04 Toyota Avalon that will be my wife's car. I don't want to see the infamous swirl marks...ever, but I don't want to hand polish it every day either. What should I do? I don't mind dedicating a weekend toward the cause, but I would like to only have to do that once or twice a year. If I can keep her away from the brush car washes during the winter months, is there hope for me? Or am I just cursed to see the dreaded swirls?

aceshigh73
09-14-2006, 10:05 AM
There's a thread on here on how to clean black cars properly.... do a search or Im sure someone will find it for you.....

Off hand I can say...

Get good MF towels
Get a PC polishing kit here (XMT and PB's are top notch)

Good luck and welcome!
Mike

FloridaNative
09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Here it is
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1315 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1315)

Welcome to the forums. :)

Surfer
09-14-2006, 04:54 PM
My last suv was black, ugghhhhhh. Don't think I'll ever own black again, you have to be an anal ocd detailer for black lol:D.

ScottB
09-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Once you go black .... unfortunately you always seem to go back !!

Reddwarf
09-14-2006, 08:57 PM
On the up side, no other color seems to get that mirror like finish!

pt91
09-14-2006, 09:12 PM
It is a love/hate thing. Soon we will have another black car and maybe a black bike in the future!

baroda5
09-15-2006, 02:56 AM
It just seems like black should be reserved for only the 95% sunny states, like Florida, Texas, Arizona, & California. Definately outlawed where slush and rain make up 75% of the year's weather!!! as it is in my wonderful Great Lake state!

Looks like a few hundred bucks in a PC orbital & pads, and following a strict weekly washing regiment, and I may be able to keep a handle on the swirls.

I followed a relatively new Mercedes in the other day, and the morning sun portrayed it as a junk yard dog!! Swirls everywhere!!!! That's what I want to avoid. I'm a car guy, but not so much a professional detailer and I want people to know I'm a car guy by the look of my cars, even if it is an Avalon not a CTS-V (that was my vote). So even if can't keep her car perfect, I want it to look like it from 10 yards away and at 70 mph!!!

Thanks for all your help, wish me luck.

:cheers:

FloridaNative
09-15-2006, 06:40 AM
My last suv was black, ugghhhhhh. Don't think I'll ever own black again, you have to be an anal ocd detailer for black lol:D.

You do?? You mean I've wasted all of this anal ocd on blue? GRRRRRRRRR I want my money back! :mad: lol

Surfer
09-15-2006, 10:11 AM
You do?? You mean I've wasted all of this anal ocd on blue? GRRRRRRRRR I want my money back! :mad: lolBut your special though:D