PDA

View Full Version : serious "ring" stains on fabric seats - best product and method to try?

jross
08-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Hello -

I have a 2003 Volvo S60 w/ fabric seats. I've had some minor spillage in the past that I tried to clean with Resolve. The end result was that the stains came out but left rings around the area where the resolve was applied. Now I've tried to clean that and one of my seats is a disaster of little ring stains everywhere.

I emailed autogeek.com and asked about their Duragloss, they recommended that product as well as 303.

Any recommendations as to which of these would work best? or is there another product I could try? And application recommendations too.

I do have a steam cleaner with a hand-held attachment I could use if needed, and I'm not at all opposed to buying one of the autogeek microfiber cloths or other tools.

Thanks in advance!!
Jamie

ryandamartini
08-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Hello -

I have a 2003 Volvo S60 w/ fabric seats. I've had some minor spillage in the past that I tried to clean with Resolve. The end result was that the stains came out but left rings around the area where the resolve was applied. Now I've tried to clean that and one of my seats is a disaster of little ring stains everywhere.

I emailed autogeek.com and asked about their Duragloss, they recommended that product as well as 303.

Any recommendations as to which of these would work best? or is there another product I could try? And application recommendations too.

I do have a steam cleaner with a hand-held attachment I could use if needed, and I'm not at all opposed to buying one of the autogeek microfiber cloths or other tools.

Thanks in advance!!
Jamie

I would have to advise before trying any more cocktails of chemicals on your stainable seats to get the stains professionally removed. If you have already tried a few cleaners without success, this would be my advice to you.

A4 1.8tqm
08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Are the "stains" a lighter color than the untreated area, or dark like whatever you spilled is still in the fabric? If your seats are just still dirty, try the steam cleaner with little or no chemical cleaner but be sure not to over saturate the seats, they should not be soaking wet. Otherwise you may have "bleached" the treated area, which would be bad news. :cheers:

jross
08-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Are the "stains" a lighter color than the untreated area, or dark like whatever you spilled is still in the fabric? If your seats are just still dirty, try the steam cleaner with little or no chemical cleaner but be sure not to over saturate the seats, they should not be soaking wet. Otherwise you may have "bleached" the treated area, which would be bad news. :cheers:

The "stains" are actually the same color as the fabric, it's the outer edge of the "rings" that are darker. Does that make sense? I'm definitely not opposed to getting it cleaned professionally as ryandamartini suggested.

A4 1.8tqm
08-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Makes sense. ryandamartini is probably right, a pro may be your best bet. I would at least try the steam cleaner myself though. :cheers:

jross
08-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Makes sense. ryandamartini is probably right, a pro may be your best bet. I would at least try the steam cleaner myself though. :cheers:

I think I will do that (try the steam cleaner) - I'm pretty much open to anything at this point :o

Thanks tons for the feedback A4 and ryanandmartini!!

A4 1.8tqm
08-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Let us know how it comes out either way, post some :Picture: if you can.

jross
08-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Yup, I'll do that. I'll take a "before" pic and then steam and then an after. Thx again. Love your avatar a4!

wytstang
08-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Head to Lowes/HD and pick up some Folex. That stuff works great on stains.

A4 1.8tqm
08-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks! I love that the shine shows through even when the car is incredibly dusty. I opt to drive on camping trips just so I can detail when I get home (or so my friends say) :cheers:

BlkTAWS6
08-02-2009, 05:19 PM
the "stains" might actually be just dust/dirt marks. As in, your seat may have some dust/dirt in it and as you clean the product does do a good just but at the edge of the spot/area you cleaned it got the dust/dirt wet and when it dried it showed more than before.

If you have a good shop vac or an extractor of any sort you can try rinsing the heck out of the seat.

I take my vac and use the flat nozzle and slowly pour water on the fabric just ahead of the nozzle as i move across the seat. Normally rinsing well helps when i encounter those types of seats.

Ryan
08-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Buy Folex

ryandamartini
08-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Let us know how it works out. I would have recommended Folex myself, but if youve already tried a few cleaners on it, it could spread.. I hada stain on my back seat and I tried to clean it once and it just moved rofl. Thats why I recommended a pro haha

What steam cleaner do you have?

Ryan
08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
To add to my previous post..... I've tried 303 spot remover and many other brands and found Folex to not only to be the most economical but the best cleaner I have tried to date. It may take a couple of applications if the stain is really set in, but it will come out.

Jimmie
08-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Here's what I learned recently when I had a pro try to get a stain out of my motorhome. If it's a stain caused by something (like a spill, coffee, etc), then go the chemical route. I'd try Folex. If it's an old water ring usually caused by sizing being moved to the outside of the wet area and setting in when it dries then he said the only thing that will get it out is water. He wasn't able to remove my water rings. Months later I got frustrated and got them out myself with steam. A lot of it too.