PDA

View Full Version : A little advice please..

FLMike
03-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm considering a pc7424...
I have 2 uses;

a 21' SeaRay boat and a SeaDoo jetski they both require waxing every year ...they also have their share of scratches and dings from banging around while docking.

Q1-How deep a gel coat scratch will a pc take out?

Q2-How much time/sore back should I expect to save over doing this by hand?

Q3-Does the pc have enough torque to allow me to get a little ummph behind it or is that even neccessary?

Q4-Which pads and how many will I need to do a 21' boat?

Q5-Will I need a smaller pad for the jetski?

Next application is a HD Roadking...like my watercraft this thing gets ridden, as such I have swirls in the fiberglass saddlebag lids and scratches from my knees on the tank...I usually use 3m Finesse-it and a lot of rubbing to remove these..

Q-which pad for use with finesse-it?

Last but certainly not least I read this on another post-

"Oh yeah...I got the 15% for signing up on this forum. More justification to spend money:rolleyes: ."

Am I eligible for a 15% discount?????

ScottB
03-29-2006, 03:02 PM
A PC is a valid choice to use where-ever and whenever you are considering hand polishing. With an RPM setting that far outpaces hand, you will clearly speed up the polishing. Its hard to say how deep the scratches will be removed. The PC (versus a rotary) is more in tune to softening most scratches and helping them blend in with the paint. So in some cases, it will not remove a deep scratch but lessen its appearance.

As for pads .... I would always consider one cutting, one polishing, and one finishing minimum per vehicle or boat. Based on the size I would probably go with two of each minimum. You might find it easier to use smaller pads on the jet-ski versus same pads as boat.

The 15% special was the first discount offered to members that signed up the first week of the new forum. It is sadly no longer offered. But ... keep an eye out for addtl discounts and I suspect a formal forum discount (to match our other forum discounts) will be in place shortly.

cummins03
04-02-2006, 09:33 PM
I have the Porter Cable and it is by far the best money I have spent. I garauntee that your back and arms will feel much better. I have brought back many vehicle with this machine. I will try to get my last vehicle I done on here. The only problem I have is that I recieved some free pads with some polish from AG but they were 5.5". I have a back plate for 7" pads and I can't find a 5" backing plate.

NissanOwner
04-03-2006, 02:16 AM
I've got some tree sap and bird dropping on my car. I tried Klauss AIO with WG and I can still see the stain.
What would be the best way to clean it off?

I got some Meg Clay and just ordered some PB SSR1, would this do the trick?

ScottB
04-03-2006, 06:09 PM
I've got some tree sap and bird dropping on my car. I tried Klauss AIO with WG and I can still see the stain.
What would be the best way to clean it off?

I got some Meg Clay and just ordered some PB SSR1, would this do the trick?

Initally I use Poorboys Bug Squash to remove bugs, birdie doo-doo, and treesap. Now if you allowed it to sit, or it etched the paint quickly, then you got no choice but to polish. Start with the SSR 1.0 and move deeper (more abrasive) as needed.

BritOn2wheels
04-04-2006, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=FLMike]I'm considering a pc7424...
I have 2 uses;

a 21' SeaRay boat and a SeaDoo jetski they both require waxing every year ...they also have their share of scratches and dings from banging around while docking.

Q1-How deep a gel coat scratch will a pc take out?

Q2-How much time/sore back should I expect to save over doing this by hand?

Q3-Does the pc have enough torque to allow me to get a little ummph behind it or is that even neccessary?

Q4-Which pads and how many will I need to do a 21' boat?

In answer to some of your questions......
I polished and waxed my Angler 21' center-console last weekend with a PC 7424 using Klasse AIO Polish / Klasse HGS Glaze / Meguiars #56 Pure Boat Wax. Used 6.5" pads as follows. Orange light cutting foam pad with AIO Polish. White Flat Polishing pad with HGS Glaze, and Gray Finishing pad with #56 wax.
Now I admit that this was an all day job as I washed and dried the boat first to get the winter crap off, but the point is that all three treatments were accomplished on a 21' boat in just 8 hours. No sore arms, no aching back, no sore fingers, just an outstanding looking shine on the boat.
You should never have to use any additional ummph on a PC. Use the right pad and polish combo and let the weight of the machine do the work for you. My recommendation is start out with the lightest pad and polish combo that you think will get the job done, but if you don't see immediate results chage up to a more agressive combo as conditions permit.
The PC 7424 is a great tool, buy one and use it. The more you use one the more you appreciate what it will do, and how much time and effort it saves you. Detailing should be fun, not pain. :p