PDA

View Full Version : Yellow windows

02DWB
08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
I tried the search function and looked it up in the auto geek U but found nothing. My question is how do you remove the tar and smoke build up on glass windows

loudog2
08-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Stronger cleaners don't work(chemical based)? Try DP glass restore.

02DWB
08-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I used Invisible glass and it took it up but left major streaking... Im no professional detailer so I dont have all the good stuff...yet... :) so im just looking for

maddenbowler
08-01-2009, 01:34 PM
use the invisible glass again. Try it a few times

loudog2
08-01-2009, 02:02 PM
If your windows are not tinted, I would use windex. You need a stronger cleaner for the tar and smoke stains.

02DWB
08-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Gotcha Its my friends car and he dosent have tint

ScottB
08-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Invisible Glass with a MF WW Towel. Dont oversaturate the glass, let it sit and outside of sunlight. I presume we are talking about interior.

A4 1.8tqm
08-01-2009, 05:57 PM
:iagree: ...works for me.

Just repeat the process a couple times, as a heavy smoker I know how irritating it is.

Blackthorn One
08-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Too bad his lungs won't be as easy to clean.

Fred114
08-01-2009, 09:56 PM
As a former smoker, I can tell you it just takes lots of elbow grease. Since he doesn't have tint, I would go with Windex with ammonia. If it is bad, will still take several cleanings, and you must use a clean towel for each window, each time.

Emile
08-01-2009, 10:01 PM
What are you guys talking about? I'm a smoker (I dunno about heavy or light, about a pack a day) and I don't have this problem.

Anyways, as killr said, Stoner Invisible Glass with a waffle weave towel. First spray it on the windshield to get good cleaning power and then wipe it off.

To get rid of streaks, use a new waffle weave towel, lightly spray one side and wipe the windshield down again and then buff it off very liberally. Invisible Glass is hard not to get streaks on the front windshield and rear window. Try working in smaller sections.

Lasthope05
08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I use denatured alcohol on glass with a heavy film build up. The alcohol is strong enough to remove everything and not leave any residue behind. Afterwards I follow up my glass cleaner.

Cheap at $3 for a quart and locally available any home depot or any hardware/paint store. While you there you could pick up some oderless mineral spirits to use for road grim and tar removal.

Blackthorn One
08-01-2009, 11:15 PM
What are you guys talking about? I'm a smoker (I dunno about heavy or light, about a pack a day) and I don't have this problem.

Anyways, as killr said, Stoner Invisible Glass with a waffle weave towel. First spray it on the windshield to get good cleaning power and then wipe it off.

To get rid of streaks, use a new waffle weave towel, lightly spray one side and wipe the windshield down again and then buff it off very liberally. Invisible Glass is hard not to get streaks on the front windshield and rear window. Try working in smaller sections.

It is probably a combination of the outgassing of the plastic and vinyl in the car, which fogs up the windows, especially when it is hot, and the cigarette smoke causing that fog on the windows to turn yellow.

Jimmie
08-02-2009, 01:51 AM
use the invisible glass again. Try it a few times

:iagree::whs:. The first time you use Stoner's IG it takes a number of apps, and then you're good for life.