PDA

View Full Version : jeweling--which polish?

Pages : [1] 2

Bubbabuff
07-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Whats a good product to use for "jeweling"
What color pad?
Rotary (makita) only!

keke1987
07-31-2009, 11:08 PM
blue with menzerna 85rd, 87mc or 3M Ultrafine

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-31-2009, 11:12 PM
blue with menzerna 85rd, 87mc or 3M Ultrafine

Can't go wrong with those.

jlb85
08-01-2009, 12:36 AM
^ +1

You want to give it time to jewel by slowly moving the rotary across the finish, but also keep the surface as cool as possible by keeping very light pressure. Also, the better centered your pad the less vibration you will have and the easier to control the rotary very slowly and smoothly.

Gary Sword
08-01-2009, 05:56 AM
The menzerna micro polishes as suggested.

ScottB
08-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Menzerna 085rd for me ... it is however impressive to see how Nano and even SuperFinish can finish down with a light pad.

Emile
08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Blue pad.

Been reading great things about Menzerna PO85RD and 3M Ultrafina with blue pad for finishing.

I think a lot of fine polishes can leave the paint very LSP-ready even with a white polishing pad. It seems that it's more the flat reds and flat blacks (meaning non-metallic) that benefit by the last jeweling step of a true finishing polish and a blue pad.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Blue pad.

Been reading great things about Menzerna PO85RD and 3M Ultrafina with blue pad for finishing.

I think a lot of fine polishes can leave the paint very LSP-ready even with a white polishing pad. It seems that it's more the flat reds and flat blacks (meaning non-metallic) that benefit by the last jeweling step of a true finishing polish and a blue pad.

Why would say that certain paint would only benefit from the blue pad and a true finishing polish? Just curious to see what your logic is behind that.

Emile
08-02-2009, 02:19 AM
No logic at all, I just found that on my G35 that was Obsidian Black, I could tell a difference if I used a finishing polish with a white pad or a gray pad. But on my Dark Grey Metallic WRX, I can use my finishing polish with white or gray pads and I can't see any difference in gloss or reflectivity.

I've also read other people's posts saying that they will definitely opt to do the jeweling step with a blue pad and super-fine finishing polish on certain colors (usually non-metallic paints).

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-02-2009, 06:05 PM
You use a finishing pad with finishing polish no matter what the color is unless it is a single stage paint job you are working the clear coat.

Rsurfer
08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
No logic at all, I just found that on my G35 that was Obsidian Black, I could tell a difference if I used a finishing polish with a white pad or a gray pad. But on my Dark Grey Metallic WRX, I can use my finishing polish with white or gray pads and I can't see any difference in gloss or reflectivity.

I've also read other people's posts saying that they will definitely opt to do the jeweling step with a blue pad and super-fine finishing polish on certain colors (usually non-metallic paints).
I have a grey metallic G35 and do notice a difference using Ultrafina and a blue 3m pad for jeweling.

CakeDaddy
08-04-2009, 09:55 AM

Obsidian Black Infiniti M45 checking in! I got educated by a member here who explained to me that the blue pad and Menz85rd is the way to go. I went to work on my trunk lid this weekend and was amazed with the blue pad and the Menz PO85rd combo. Its the best..... hands down! I used the grey pad in the past and soon learned that the blue is more superior. I'll do the same on my hood with the 3m UltraFina Se and blue pad to compare.

67Customs
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Menzerna PO85RD and a LC Grey pad for me.

ryandamartini
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
*jealously guards his stash of the old DP swirl removers* *my precious*

MDg35
08-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I plan to polish my G35 soon and was wondering how Menzerna PO85RD compared with Optimum Finish Polish. I would be using a PC7424XP.

I already have Menzerna SIP and 106 on hand to use before the jewelling polish (either PO85RD or OPT Finish Polish).

Does one work better on soft clears vs hard? Does one have a longer work time? Does one dust or break down faster?

Thanks.