PDA

View Full Version : The painted area directly against the window weatherseals

CEE DOG
07-31-2009, 09:33 PM
When washing my car I am always nervous about using my wash mitt to rub up against the edge of this rubber seal. The rubber seal itself I clean with a cheap microfiber rag. I'm even more nervous about using a cheap microfiber on the paint right up against this strip. As a result that 1/8" of painted area is not being cared for as well as the rest of the panels. I have the small foam applicators that are slightly larger than cotton swabs but this material isn't helpfull for washing or drying. What do you pros do on the painted area right up against the edge of the rubber. I don't want to ruin a good microfiber on this area. Is there something special beyond being carefull that I don't know about?

jlb85
08-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Why nervous?

If it is because the black residue that rubs off onto towels and stuff, well, you can clean the rubber more, but it will still happen to some extent. Florida sun and heat deteriorate rubber and plastics. As the age or oxidize, they wear off the surface. Just a little of this and you get black marks on your towels. Other than rubbing on it hard with the mitt, just wash it along with the rest of the car, and dry it too. Water spots are hard on plastics as well, so dry them ASAP after a wash.

Try some heavier cleaner next time with a small (soft) brush (safe for paint) and work the cleaner into the crevice. Use a Q-tip or similar at this stage too. Then rinse off quick and proceed to wash the car normally, going over the rubber and trim with the mitt.

Also, what do you use to dress the trim? instead of using 303 or a dressing like it on the trim, try an AIO product. See if you get more or less residue after time.

BlkTAWS6
08-01-2009, 01:22 AM
i would say if you are wax/polishing mask off the rubber seal and take the edge up the pad all the way up to the tape to make sure and cover all of the paint.

haven't detailed a Saturn like yours (if the avatar is your car) so I am not really sure what paint and seal you are referring to. But that is what I do for my cars and my customers when messing with the paint.

During washes I just use my mit, i can always buy another if it gets too bad

hope that helps some.

CEE DOG
08-01-2009, 08:03 AM
jb85, thank you-I hadn't thought of using a brush there. That should help. What cleaner should I be using for those seals in your opinion?
I just got the 1Z gummi pfledge which I am planning to use on the seals moving forward.

BlkTAWS6, thank you-yes when I seal or polish I do tape the area off. It's the washing that area that gives me issues. I don't want to drag an abrasive off the rubber onto the paint allthough i am aware that I am rather paranoid when it comes to my Skybaby!

jlb85
08-01-2009, 09:58 AM
You are welcome!

I have used Griots Rubber Cleaner with good results (and their rubber prep which I do not recommend for non-pros), but right now I just use some TAW or similar, at medium strength. Even just the normal shampoo foam dwelling works enough if I wash the car frequently. Like I said, nothing special, just part of the bodywork when you wash. They are not getting dirty (like the wheels or engine), just wearing in a different way than other parts of the body.

Try the easiest first and take some 50/50 pics. It might be easier than you think, and it definitely gets easier the more you wash and the cleaner they are.

Good luck!

belcherm58
08-01-2009, 10:22 AM
I read this last night and I thought I did not understand. Wash the
car as normal. There is not going to be anything off the rubber to damage the paint. You can dress the rubber or plastic with a rubber and vinyl dressing after you dry the car. For buffing, I tape the rubber or vinyl area off. The residue you see on your mitt is nothing to worry about. I do not use the same mitt on the paint that I wash my wheels with. Brake dust is very abrasive.