PDA

View Full Version : What to do about winter weather?

Pages : [1] 2

MisterShark
07-31-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm located over in NJ and I know I'm early with this topic but it just happened to cross my mind so I figured I'd throw it out here.

I just purchased a new black RAV4 and have decided against taking it through the car wash down the street that I always used to use for my old clunker cars. I'm new here but I'm guessing that drive-through 'brushless' car washes are a sin here and are avoided by most everyone in the this community (lemme know if I'm incorrect in my assumption).

So when winter weather hits and salt and all the rest start assaulting our cars' underbodies, what's the move?
How does everyone here (that is geographically climate-effected) keep their cars' undersides clean and safe from extended contact with corrosive elements when it's so cold that water freezes during the harsh months?

belcherm58
07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
I go to a spray off wash and just use the rinse water spray off. The soap at those washes is hard on sealants and waxes. I take a bottle of Poorboys Spray and Wipe and some micorfibers. I spray the car off real good and do the undercarriage. Then I spray my Poorboys on a panel at a time and wipe with the microfiber. The high pressure rinse knocks off a most of the salt.

SRHTX
07-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Winter? What in the world is that? We only have 3 seasons down here in deep South Texas. :D

Stephen

loudog2
07-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Coin spray wash to get heavy dirt and salt off. Then a ONR wash in the bay or in my driveway.

Emile
07-31-2009, 07:13 PM
New cars these days come with anti-corrosion coatings underneath the vehicle which your owner's manual will mention about briefly, but the coating doesn't protect much from salt (I don't know anything that protects from salt over time).

Anyways, my solution is to once in a while get my car up on Rhino Ramps and just spray whatever I can reach with my pressure washer. I have to say though, the under-carriage of the vehicle manages to stay fairly clean considering all the crap that us New Jerseyans have to deal with during the winter. Before the summer is over, I will jack my car up again and spray some type of all-purpose cleaner underneath, let it dwell, and then use my pressure washer any blast any dirt/grime off of the vehicle.

Because your vehicle is black, I would recommend definitely staying away from machine car washes. Even local hand car wash places aren't so good...they rely on washing multiple cars per day and always re-use their wash mitts, buckets, and towels so there is massive cross-contamination going on.

kaptain_zero
07-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Now.... the topic DID mention WINTER weather!:D

Around here, thoughts of ONR washes in the driveway, a quick wand wash and the like can be complicated at best.......

Here's a couple of Youtube links illustrating what I mean:

Ahh.... nothing like a cup of hot coffee when I go out to detail my car..... oops... I just tripped and spilled my coffee...... drats:

- Winnipeg Weather

To more clearly illustrate the effect (and I might add this was during a rather balmy -30c day... we frequently see -40c in January/February):

- Winnipeg on a -30 degree morning

I do end up going to the wand wash once in a while but I have to leave the doors latched on the first click when I leave so the doors rubber seals aren't touching the door frame while still wet.... Having to wait 3+ months for the door to thaw, just so you can go to the bathroom can be a bit.... uhmm.... uncomfortable! Im the MAN

I find I end up going to a tunnel wash where they vacuum the inside, wash the undercarriage, clean the windows and blow out all the water from the locks and wipe down all the door gaskets etc. before the car gets back outside. It's a swirl-o-matic type wash so I tend to only go when I absolutely have to........

Regards

Kaptain "Winter.... Did I mention that I HATE winter?!?!" Zero

Lasthope05
07-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Before the winter weather hits us in PA what I usually do to prepare is to wash and clean the undercarriage and when its all dry I give it a good coating of motor oil. I put it in a spray bottle and coat everything down there. I'll do this once a month in the winter season and when spring comes just a pressure wash. Oil is a very good way to keep corrosion off the undercarriage as it clinks to the surface and stays to act as a barrier. Ever notice how your greasy suspension parts never seem to rust?

belcherm58
07-31-2009, 08:57 PM
You have to try Meguairs All Season Dressing. After I clean my undercarriage and wheel wells. I spray this dressing liberally on the undercarriage and wheel wells. It is a oil petroleum based product that
last a while and makes it all look new. I had some tires put on my truck and wheels lined up and the place that did it could not get over how good it looked. Several of the guys that worked there came in and asked how I did it. I saw 4 or 5 guys looking underneath my truck and was a little worried until they came in and asked how I did it. Whew! Had me freakin out. lol

Gary Sword
08-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Move to Florida and enjoy watching the snow storms on TV!

ScottB
08-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Winter? What in the world is that? We only have 3 seasons down here in deep South Texas. :D

Stephen

we only have 2 .... spring and summer :D

Al Swearengen
08-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Before the winter weather hits us in PA what I usually do to prepare is to wash and clean the undercarriage and when its all dry I give it a good coating of motor oil. I put it in a spray bottle and coat everything down there. I'll do this once a month in the winter season and when spring comes just a pressure wash. Oil is a very good way to keep corrosion off the undercarriage as it clinks to the surface and stays to act as a barrier. Ever notice how your greasy suspension parts never seem to rust?

i see a lot of people who post that they oil or grease their undercarriage and my opinion on that is it's terrible for the environment and also the poor bastards whom may have to drive behind you. do it right or don't do it at all.

akimel
08-01-2009, 04:17 PM
I remember our first autumn in Miami. Sometime in October people suddenly started saying, "Fall is here." I had no idea what they were talking about. The next autumn I understood: there was a subtle change in the air.

Emile
08-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I think I may actually purchase a small sprinker and just slide it under my vehicle and see how that works.

Lasthope05
08-01-2009, 08:58 PM
i see a lot of people who post that they oil or grease their undercarriage and my opinion on that is it's terrible for the environment and also the poor bastards whom may have to drive behind you. do it right or don't do it at all.

Whats the right way then? Do tell.

With undercarriage protection is like say interior protection. There is no wrong or right way in protecting or dressing it. People use different products. One might use Pinnacle products one might use turtle wax. And I doubt a small coating of oil on the undercarriage will harm the environment so much when we have cars that are constantly leaking oil, power steering fluid the the loads of non voc complient products still on the market being used.

Al Swearengen
08-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Whats the right way then? Do tell.

With undercarriage protection is like say interior protection. There is no wrong or right way in protecting or dressing it. People use different products. One might use Pinnacle products one might use turtle wax. And I doubt a small coating of oil on the undercarriage will harm the environment so much when we have cars that are constantly leaking oil, power steering fluid the the loads of non voc complient products still on the market being used.

you know what i mean and even thought about it before doing it. yes cars leak fluids but that's not the same as intentionally coating the underside as you are and i'm certainly no tree huger but come on man we need drinking water ya know?

most products that are labeled for undercarriage use will not leach nearly as much petroleum base as used oil will and are far safer for us all in that way.