PDA

View Full Version : Just got my order in today. Need some guidance.

Prestige593
07-29-2009, 04:17 PM
I just received my order today: Porter Cable 7424XP (w/ orange pads), 3M Performance Finish, Meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner & #9 swirl remover 2.0. What else do I need to get started? I will be working on a 1977 Corvette (white, 2 yr old paint), a 2004 BLK F-150, and my wifes 2008 Maroon Nissan. My detailing knowledge starts and stops at Rain Dance paste applied by hand. Thanks

Blackthorn One
07-29-2009, 04:35 PM
I just received my order today: Porter Cable 7424XP (w/ orange pads), 3M Performance Finish, Meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner & #9 swirl remover 2.0. What else do I need to get started? I will be working on a 1977 Corvette (white, 2 yr old paint), a 2004 BLK F-150, and my wifes 2008 Maroon Nissan. My detailing knowledge starts and stops at Rain Dance paste applied by hand. Thanks

I suggest clay, like Griot's Garage, speed shine, and microfiber towels. Other than that, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant for protection. You should get some foam applicator pads for applying the sealant. Pad cleaner of some type would be nice, too, but it's not absolutely necessary.

civichatch97
07-30-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm new to the detailing thing also, but I've spent alot of time on here reading what processes people use. You may want to consider getting white or black pads for finishing. From what I've seen on here, most people only use orange pads for prep work because it has light cutting characteristics.

I also agree with the clay bar and MF towels. You can never have too many MF towels!!!

If what I said is wrong, then someone correct me, but I believe from what I've been reading up on that this is true.

O.C.Detailing
07-30-2009, 08:45 AM
You can finish with the orange pads, though you'll get a better look from using white LC pads and a good polish. Get TONS of MF towels!! Make sure you buy yourself a big one or two as well as a boat-load of small ones, you'll need them. Go to Target and get the ones from there if you can't get them from here. I forget the Target name brand, but they're a nice alternative if you can't get the Cobra towels from AG.

I apply my sealants and waxes with a LC black pad. It's worked just fine for me, but if you prefer to do it by hand, then go with Blackthornone's recommendation.

Emile
07-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Personally, I would never finish with an orange pad, especially on darker-colored vehicles. Orange pads just leave the finish too dull, even if you can finish without any marring and hazing.

Get some white or soft green pads to use with a finishing polish, as the pads you use are as important as the polish.

Dsoto87
07-30-2009, 04:35 PM
BTW I believe #2 and #9 are for rotary use only.

I've never used them so I have no clue how they work with a DA. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Just wanted to throw that out there