PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Manifold

AudiTTman
07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Alrighty, so i recently got the urge to clean everything under the hood. Even though its a little hard to spray down the entire thing with wash( and im worried ill screw something up), I just decided I would hand clean everything that was noticable.

My question is, on my manifold, which is some type of rough, light grey "casted" metal.....What could I use to clean it to make it look new? Here is a picture below and the manifold is right under the engine cover that says "5V Turbo"

DLB
07-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Depends...
If it is cast aluminum (which it sounds like) my preference is Westley's Bleach White. It might be against some other members preference, but I have used it on my cast aluminum intake (on a Chevy 350 engine) with success. It has never dulled it or anything, but I can't say you will have the same results.

DLB

Emile
07-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Are you talking about removing the engine cover and cleaning under that?

AudiTTman
07-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Well that is actually another place where i would like to clean Emile. However i wasnt clear when i was telling you guys where i was trying to clean. Its basically the long grey thing that is positioned in the pictures directly below the cover itself(not actually under the cover). Sorry i wasnt clear before, im not good with description hahahaha

Ryan
07-29-2009, 07:55 PM
P21S Total Auto Wash. Also wrap a plastic bag over your exposed conical air filter. The TAW is safe for rubber hoses and belts as well. I have been successfully using it to maintain my engine's cleanliness for the past 2 years with great results.

maddenbowler
07-29-2009, 08:38 PM
i just used simple green and water. But then i sanded it down and polished it
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2413/2628795596_3f2bf8d51d.jpg

AudiTTman
07-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Yo ryan i appreciate you tellin me about the TAW, i think that is my next purchase!!!!

Maddenbowler- i should have known you might knwo a thing of two about my engine, being that they are almost identical!!! i like the polished mainfold along with that awesome engine cover!!!!! where did you get that done? or did it come like that?

Emile
07-29-2009, 09:58 PM
TTman, you crazy guy. Just spray that whole engine bay down with P21S TAW, agitate some areas with a soft-bristle brush, and rinse it off....most of your engine is nicely covered.

But I definitely think you need to wrap some plastic or a Ziplock bag around that air intake.

Ryan
07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
TT man, not a problem me and Emile won't steer you wrong....

AudiTTman
07-30-2009, 08:10 AM
well thank you guys very much! im going to have my engine so clean that the ladies are going to call me Mr. Clean.......hopefully haha