07-29-2009, 09:09 AM
I just bought a new/used 2008 BMW X5 with the 20' wheels. I know these
cars are prone for brake dust, having owned previous BMW's. My question is
how to remove the brake dust that appears to have baked itself on the inside
of the wheel area. Is there a product that will put these wheels looking like
they did when the car was new? Thanks,

Emile
07-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Yeah, but being a BMW, it will take about a week until the insides of the wheels are baked on with new brake dust again. Im the MAN

Seriously, P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner should do the trick. Spray it on, let it sit for 2 hours, agitate with an EZ Detail brush, and then rinse off. You may have to repeat the application one or two more times because P21S Gel is ph-neutral so it's safe but slow-working.

Or you can try DP Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner which is a strong alkaline cleaner which will loosen up and melt the baked-on brake dust away.

ScottB
07-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Change brake pads to ceramic pads to reduce dust. Then get a good strong wheel cleaner like Poorboys product initially. Finally polish with a paint polish and seal with DP or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

TheDodgeGuy
07-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Change brake pads to ceramic pads to reduce dust. Then get a good strong wheel cleaner like Poorboys product initially. Finally polish with a paint polish and seal with DP or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

I have heard a couple of guys talking about switching to ceramic pads and the ceramic "dust" adhering to the rim. almost like it melted on. Have any of you heard of this?

O.C.Detailing
07-30-2009, 08:14 AM
EBC Greenstuff is your answer over Ceramic. Organic, man-made materials with low-dust qualities and they're affordable and don't produce a dust that damages or bonds to your wheels.

belcherm58
07-30-2009, 08:25 AM
I did this and man what a difference it made!:iagree:

ScottB
07-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I have heard a couple of guys talking about switching to ceramic pads and the ceramic "dust" adhering to the rim. almost like it melted on. Have any of you heard of this?

I have replaced pads on several cars and trucks to ceramic and never seen any appreciable dust and certainly no damage over other brake pad materials. Infact, I seem to have longer rotor life but unscientific at best.

SRHTX
07-30-2009, 06:26 PM
So, how are you able to correct the pad covers? I have a several clients that have plenty of break dust, but, I do not know how to get the stuff off of them. Such as the AMG Break Covers. Feed back please

Stephen

fyi = The wheel/rim shown is before the S55 was washed.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/srhtx/Mercedes%20Benz/2005%20S55/Wheel01.jpg

TheDodgeGuy
07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
I have replaced pads on several cars and trucks to ceramic and never seen any appreciable dust and certainly no damage over other brake pad materials. Infact, I seem to have longer rotor life but unscientific at best.

Nice to save some cash in the long run. Thanks for sharing.

Emile
07-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Ceramic brake pads are supposed to provide longer pad and rotor life, as well as typically offering less dusting.

I have a take-no-prisoners wheel cleaner that is high alkaline (non-acid) and always gets the wheel barrels 100% clean. Regular use can be diluted up to 4:1 (I usually use it 3:1 and it works awesome) but it's not from Autogeek so I'd rather not say the name.

P21S Gel or DP Cleanse-All are your best bet for cleaning inside the barrels of your X5 or basically any car. Cleanse-All is high alkaline so it should be able to knock out any tar with a bug and tar sponge in case P21S Gel leaves anything behind.

Lasthope05
07-30-2009, 09:12 PM
If its caked on you will need a fairly strong acid cleaner at first like killrwheels said. Either Poorboys spray and rinse or Megs wheel brightener will quickly cut through all. Sealing the wheels and regular cleaning with just soap and water is all thats need afterwards. Use only as needed and its pretty harsh to use at every wash.

Black BMW 335i - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26775&highlight=bmw+wheel+brightener)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-forum/7934-poorboys-spray-rinse-wheel-cleaner.html#post113380