PDA

View Full Version : How many coats of DGPS??

xxxc5
07-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Hey folks!

I've just spent the day applying the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Concours Kit to my '02 Corvette C5. The result is absolutely amazing!! The prep was rather time consuming as well as the cure time for the DGPS 3.0, but well worth it for the results that it yields. My Vette has never looked this good.

I have one coat of DGPS applied currently. How many coats are necessary for optimum protection and shine? At what point would I just be wasting product and time without gaining any additional benefit? Should I do a second coat followed by a third coat in a couple weeks?

Thanks!
Steve

02nissanISR
07-29-2009, 06:12 AM
I've never used the DGPS but as with most protectants I've heard 2 coats to ensure good coverage after that, well, lets just say I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice. I know the forum favorite kit (klasse aio klasse sealant glaze and pinnacle souveran) is used as a 3 step process so maybe throw some fuzion on top or whatever wax you have to give that added protection. You still want to wait till your sealant is cured before topping it with a wax though. hope this helps (post some pics of your vette, nothin like a shiny vette) :-)

Gary Sword
07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
I would apply 2 coats waiting at least 12 hours between coats.

RTexasF
07-29-2009, 02:54 PM
After two coats you get diminished return for the time spent. Wolfgang has the look of a carnauba but the staying power of a sealant. 3.0 does last longer than the previous batch. A quick wipe down twice a month with Dura Gloss Aqua Wax (a sealant in spite of the name) will add more bling and protection.

wytstang
07-29-2009, 03:21 PM
2 coats is all thats needed.

Emile
07-29-2009, 04:08 PM
I would do 2 coats. Even 1 well-applied coat is fine. A lot of us like to apply two just for even coverage, as a previous poster stated.

Sealants aren't like waxes, they are far more durable. Personally, it's only when I'm working with a wax that I like to apply 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. coats over the span of several weeks.

ScottB
07-29-2009, 06:45 PM
2 coats ... often any more is wasted product due to the laws of diminishing returns. You certainly can add additional layers later once durability drops off. Use the spray product as booster as desired after each washing too.

unclestu
07-29-2009, 06:47 PM
:iagree::whs:and in addition your best result will be obtained by using very thin coats. In this case less is more a little goes a very lomg way.

supercharged
07-30-2009, 12:07 AM
2 coats of sealant, then a coat or two of good carnauba paste wax.