PDA

View Full Version : I Got SuperGlue On My Car Paint! How Do I Take It All Off?

Pages : [1] 2

SkyeHack
07-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I was trying to fix my newly installed side marker because it kept on popping off. I decided to use some superglue to try to fix it. I new how much of a mess it was so I tried to do it very carefully. However, I failed. Now, I can't get it off completely! I tried a bunch of different things but nothing works!!! Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

Before

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2646/3759431244_dd717a7eb0_o.jpg

After

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2639/3759750470_bed7cd5dd8_o.jpg

Steps I Used.

1 - Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
2 - Dawn Dish Soap
3 - Meguairs Gold Class Car Was Shampoo & Conditioner
3 - Meguairs Smooth Surface Clay Kit & Meguairs Ultimate Quik Detailer
4 - Meguairs Ultimate Compound
5 - Meguairs NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0

That Mr. Clean thing stripped off my car wax. It helped take some of the superglue off but it's hard to get into that corner. http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif I'm gonna try again later when I wash my car again when I get my new rims. http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/shy.gifops: darn SUPER GLUE = FTL :evil:

Dwayne
07-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I did a search and saw the MR Clean Magic Eraser mentioned quite a few times. Just be very careful with it.

How do you remove superglue from car paint? - Yahoo! Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080112145647AAigPvO)

Removing Super Glue | Super Glue Corporation (http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html)

Harleyguy
07-27-2009, 11:35 AM
From what i have read and from what i have seen done in my shop it doesn't look like you will be able remove the glue.It burns into the paint as soon as it touch's the surface.Our detail department has never been able to remove glue once it set's it self in.Would be intrested if you find a way to remove it.

rmmagow
07-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Please, I haven't tried this on SuperGlue, but it worked great on baked in pine tree drippings. Berryman's B-12 Chemtool. It's meant for cleaning fuel injectors. I used it on the pine drippings and bam, they were gone. I also used it on the clearcoat of the car and did no real damage. Have a bucket of clean water and a sponge available toquickly wash it off. Totally removes the wax so you'll have to re-wax. Good luck.

AudiTTman
07-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Here is what i would try. Try heating up the glue around the light, make sure you apply some pressure to the new turn signal(just to be safe in case it were to fall off)

You could use a hair dryer or any other tool that gives off a good amount of heat but not harmful to the paint.

A4 1.8tqm
07-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Goof off or industrial strength adhesive remover from your local paint supply store

Blackthorn One
07-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Here is what i would try. Try heating up the glue around the light, make sure you apply some pressure to the new turn signal(just to be safe in case it were to fall off)

You could use a hair dryer or any other tool that gives off a good amount of heat but not harmful to the paint.
Or the heat could harden the glue more.

ScottB
07-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I might try 3M wax and adhesive remover .... dont know however.

AudiTTman
07-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Or the heat could harden the glue more.

crap you are exactly right!!!!!! well i think my heating idea would work better if it were candle wax. Thank you Blackthornone for correcting me@!

etnops
07-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Acetone will easily remove the cyanoacrylate - but be very careful, it can remove your paint, too!

Lightly damp an old T-Shirt (or Q-tip if you want more precision) with Acetone, and try a couple of really quick swipes. The Cyanoacrylate should melt immediately. Every swipe or two, turn the rag to a clean section, re-apply a small amount of Acetone, and swipe again until the surface is clean. The cyanoacrylate will be re-deposited onto the rag.

Try this at your own risk, as the Acetone could create a bigger problem than you've got on your hands, now!

Hope this helps.

Lasthope05
07-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Use acetone like etnops' said. But you dont have to worry about it damaging your paint since automotive paint is two part catalyzed urethane. I even tested this on a spare hood. Soaked a rag with acetone and left it on the hood for 10 mintes. I checked afterwards an there was no damage at all within that time period. Also checked in intervals of days to weeks to see if there was subsurface deterioration and there wasnt any.

What you dont want to do is get it on plastics cause it will eat it up so tape up the corner light.

Blackthorn One
07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Use acetone like etnops' said. But you dont have to worry about it damaging your paint since automotive paint is two part catalyzed urethane. I even tested this on a spare hood. Soaked a rag with acetone and left it on the hood for 10 mintes. I checked afterwards an there was no damage at all within that time period. Also checked in intervals of days to weeks to see if there was subsurface deterioration and there wasnt any.

What you dont want to do is get it on plastics cause it will eat it up so tape up the corner light.
Not all automotive paint is urethane. MY car happens to be, because I had it custom painted, but I think most cars are acrylic enamel, water based enamel, or acrylic lacquer if it was made say before 1970. What major auto manufacturer uses two part catalyzed urethane? I don't know of any.

Lasthope05
07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
^^ I guess I forgot to mention that this pertains to the modern age cars that are not single stage and acrylic enamel/lacquer based. I think most all auto manufacturers now and days use two part catalyzed urethane. The two parts is just urethane paint and hardener/activator.

Matt
07-27-2009, 08:00 PM
:iagree: +1 for the acetone, but be careful, tape off the light as recommended, and apply the acetone with a cue tip for precision.

I know that's how I get superglue off my fingers :p

Rsurfer
07-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Finger nail polish remover will also remove super glue from your fingers, but I don't know what it will do to your paint.