PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Polish: Plexus vs. Mothers

CEE DOG
07-27-2009, 06:55 AM
I was about to purchase some Plexus (17.99) when I came across Mothers plastic polish (5.99) I read a couple reviews for Mothers and they were great as well. Can you guys tell me if they are the same formula or are they equivalent to each other? Mostly for my headlights/tailights... Also I see Plexus is recommend to put on my tinted windows which I was going to do. Can Mothers be used for this?
Please tell what your experience is... Let me know if you've used both or either.
Btw, how hard is it to scratch those headlights? In certain light it looks like I have some scaratches and I am very careful.

loudog2
07-27-2009, 07:04 AM
I use DP Plex-all which usually shows up on the BOGO page. Plexus 13oz vs Plex-all 19oz(cheaper and more product). Have not used mothers.

jdrumstik
07-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I have that mother's crap, and it works but doing it by hand I really have to work at it to get headlight fogging out.

ScottB
07-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I love Plexus and DP Plex All for tinted windows, taillamps, and rear lenses . Never really noticed the Mothers version, did notice Megs also offers one too.

O.C.Detailing
07-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Plexus all the way man... Never seen a rattle-can product that works as nicely for quick touch-ups. Motorcycle enthusiasts LIVE by that stuff and it works great on painted plastics and metals alike.

howejt
07-29-2009, 03:27 PM
If you are looking to actually polish or remove light scratches from the tint or plastic items, I would recommend the Megs #10 and #17 products.

Plexus doesn't seem to actually do anything to the surface of the plastic, so I feel it is more of a cleaner and light filler product. When my tinted windows in my BMW were marred after using a Cobra waffle weave glass towel to clean them (always used good quality paper towels for decades without issue, hmmph), Plexus and Plex-All would only temporarily cover up the issue for some days or a week. The Meguiars products seem to have actually removed the scratches from the film and they still look good after several months.

But I don't think the Meguiars plastic products will help with scratches in your lights. They only seem designed for very fine marring.

CEE DOG
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
If you are looking to actually polish or remove light scratches from the tint or plastic items, I would recommend the Megs #10 and #17 products.

Plexus doesn't seem to actually do anything to the surface of the plastic, so I feel it is more of a cleaner and light filler product. When my tinted windows in my BMW were marred after using a Cobra waffle weave glass towel to clean them (always used good quality paper towels for decades without issue, hmmph), Plexus and Plex-All would only temporarily cover up the issue for some days or a week. The Meguiars products seem to have actually removed the scratches from the film and they still look good after several months.

But I don't think the Meguiars plastic products will help with scratches in your lights. They only seem designed for very fine marring.

The main purpose for me is to protect the headlights... from UV etc...

tenorplayer23
07-29-2009, 04:54 PM
CEE DOG...........I guess I would agree with the Plexus crowd. I'd suggest the DP Plex-All, though; larger quantity for a little less money over Plexus. Use the aerosol on those lenses & tighter spaces......easier........normally,

I'm a proponent of using non-aerosol sprayers, but the convenience is great with the can. (Just like Stoners Invisible Glass....better deal in the bottle, easier to use in the can).

That being said, though, it looks like Mothers suggests using their plastic polish with their Powerball/drill. Therefore, I would think that there is some correction to it........don't think the "Plex" twins have any of that.

See ya http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/seeya.gif

PS - like that red Sky. Hope GM keeps the Sky/Solstice twins around.

CEE DOG
07-29-2009, 06:51 PM
CEE DOG...........I guess I would agree with the Plexus crowd. I'd suggest the DP Plex-All, though; larger quantity for a little less money over Plexus. Use the aerosol on those lenses & tighter spaces......easier........normally,

I'm a proponent of using non-aerosol sprayers, but the convenience is great with the can. (Just like Stoners Invisible Glass....better deal in the bottle, easier to use in the can).

That being said, though, it looks like Mothers suggests using their plastic polish with their Powerball/drill. Therefore, I would think that there is some correction to it........don't think the "Plex" twins have any of that.

See ya http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/seeya.gif

PS - like that red Sky. Hope GM keeps the Sky/Solstice twins around.

Thank you - Looks like the kappa's including the Sky are done after this year... very sad... Penski bought Saturn and is dropping Sky and a couple others. GM dropped Pontiac completely! If you ask me Saturn was everything that was right about GM. We bought a 97 SL used with 85,000 miles on it and now it has 200,000 and is running great! We bought a 99 SL used with 115,000 on it and now it has 154,000. Still running great... Well the first time I saw a Sky I was in love and didn't even know what kind of car it was at first. Dreamed about it for a couple years and finally one day (30th B-day) just did it! My first new car! Before Skybaby that 97 saturn SL was the nicest car I had bought... Anyways, thanks again for the help-Much appreciated-:cheers:

O.C.Detailing
07-30-2009, 08:54 AM
The thing with the plexus is that it's in an aerosol can and comes out much finer than a spray bottle, therefore, using less product and it's ionized. Trust me, Plexus is REALLY good stuff and lasts FOREVER if all you're using it for is plastic headlamp lenses and such. It's great for paint as well though. ;)

cobraa
08-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Are plastic polish abrasive or not?

Wouldn't a super fine abrasive + a non-abrasive polish work better than those 15$ plastic polish?