PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys EX-P on pearl white finish? (Can I top with nattys as well?)

Pages : [1] 2

m4gician
07-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey AGO,

I have a customer who has a white pearl coated car, and I finished all of my DP sealant.

All I have left is Klasse SG and a full bottle of Poorboys EX-P. Which should I use for best results?

Can I top the Poorboys EX-P after I've applied it with Natty's red?

maddenbowler
07-26-2009, 05:55 PM
i used poorboys ex-p on my car and love the look. Afterwards I top it with natty blue. So i would use the nattys red and ex-p

m4gician
07-26-2009, 06:04 PM
i used poorboys ex-p on my car and love the look. Afterwards I top it with natty blue. So i would use the nattys red and ex-p

Thank you very much, is it a straight application or should I let the sealant cure for a few minutes?

maddenbowler
07-26-2009, 06:10 PM
your supposed to let the sealant cure for a few hours. I think it says on the back of the bottle. I did it on my car so time wasnt an issue. I applied the sealant, waited around 30 minutes and then buffed it off. I applied the wax The next morning.

maddenbowler
07-26-2009, 06:11 PM
But im sure if you let the sealant dry to a haze and then buff it off you can apply the wax

nitro78
07-26-2009, 07:16 PM
best to give the sealent 12 hours to cure before topping.

belcherm58
07-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Just to add a mention. Sealants need air to dry. Therefore they should be kept dry for the 12 hours. I try and apply sealants on nice days in the morning so that I don't have to worry about dew drowning the sealant before it cures. If doing in a garage, not to worry about that. You should not apply a wax till the sealant cures for the same reason. The wax will inhibit the air the sealant needs to cure.

hondajake
07-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I found it best to wait at least 90 minutes to remove EX-P. I use EX-P for my cars and found that between 90 minutes and 2 hours was best for removal and gives more shine than waiting the 30-45 minutes. Also PB recommends not getting the surface wet for at least 24-72 hours after applying EX-P you can find that on PB's forum. After about a 1 1/2 days I put on another EX-P coat. Works for me.

I just traded Souvran which I normally topped EX-P with for Natty's Red so I am looking to try that out.

Emile
07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
After you've buffed off the EX-P, you should wait about an hour and then apply the Natty's Red. The Poorboy's products work well with each other, and after topping with Natty's Red, both products will cure over the next few days. They'll still be protecting over those 2 or 3 days, it's just that the maximum shine will come out after curing is done.

m4gician
07-26-2009, 09:34 PM
After you've buffed off the EX-P, you should wait about an hour and then apply the Natty's Red. The Poorboy's products work well with each other, and after topping with Natty's Red, both products will cure over the next few days. They'll still be protecting over those 2 or 3 days, it's just that the maximum shine will come out after curing is done.

Thanks for that. So the sealant will continue to cure AFTER i've applied Natty's red?

I was thinking after I apply ex-p.... I let it cure, I start on the other car, finish it, then buff off ex-p after an hour or so, wax the 2nd car, then wax the 1st pearl white car.

Will my customer see some decent results here or should I forgo the natty's red idea on top of the EX-P?

hondajake
07-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I agree, it seems the real shine comes out in about a day or two. That is why I wait 1 1/2 days or so to apply the second coat of EX-P. Then topped with Souvran the next day.

I am getting some Natty Red this week on trade, I will post pics.

belcherm58
07-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I just went to Poorboysworld.com forum. The information I stated was
correct. Poorboys suggest 24 hours before topping with wax. It won't hurt anything, but the sealant will not live up to it's potential life expectancy.

m4gician
07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
I agree, it seems the real shine comes out in about a day or two. That is why I wait 1 1/2 days or so to apply the second coat of EX-P. Then topped with Souvran the next day.

I am getting some Natty Red this week on trade, I will post pics.

Thanks, that really helps.

I just went to Poorboysworld.com forum. The information I stated was
correct. Poorboys suggest 24 hours before topping with wax. It won't hurt anything, but the sealant will not live up to it's potential life expectancy.

Perfect, I don't want to dilute the life of the sealant, and I'll let my customer know that the true shine will come out and that I can offer to come back and apply another coat or top wax after a day or so.

Thanks a lot guys.

belcherm58
07-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Sealants offer a longer protection than a carnauba wax. Wax over sealant adds depth and pop. If you want to do a 1 step sealant that has a little more pop and not have the customer come back. I would suggest Poorboys EX Sealant with Carnauba. My experience with it was it did not have the life of a pure sealant topped with wax but was a best one step compromise. This stuff can get pretty obsessive if you
know what I mean. lol

m4gician
07-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Sealants offer a longer protection than a carnauba wax. Wax over sealant adds depth and pop. If you want to do a 1 step sealant that has a little more pop and not have the customer come back. I would suggest Poorboys EX Sealant with Carnauba. My experience with it was it did not have the life of a pure sealant topped with wax but was a best one step compromise. This stuff can get pretty obsessive if you
know what I mean. lol

You know what, thank you very much for the suggestions. I'm going to stick with EX-P and not top it at all, he did want durability after all and that to me means I seal it :).

I'll still apply via udm + grey pad, but i'll leave it on for a bit before wiping off.