PDA

View Full Version : expired polish?

corolla619
07-25-2009, 09:39 PM
so last weekend i had some meguiars swirl remover from back in the day(couldn't wait for the xmt360)the meguiars swirl remover was a light cut i believe but forgot the number.

anyways, when i went to use it the consistency was like water? but i went ahead and used it any ways. it obviously didn't correct anything but i gave it a try.

my real question is, will this hurt my finish, say dull my paint or anything. from what i could tell the paint looks great(silver metallic paint). so when i finished i went ahead with my sealant and after cured jumper into my fuzion.

or worst case, it probaly just didn't do it's job by correcting i would assume? anyone ever experience this before?

thanks in advance.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-25-2009, 11:06 PM
As long as you shake it up so the polish is mixed back up you should be fine. I still have a couple bottles of Megs #3 from 4 years ago I still use from time to time and have never encountered any problems.

corolla619
07-25-2009, 11:13 PM
As long as you shake it up so the polish is mixed back up you should be fine. I still have a couple bottles of Megs #3 from 4 years ago I still use from time to time and have never encountered any problems.

yeah i shook it up real good but it was still really runny. if i recall it used to be alot thicker?

Emile
07-25-2009, 11:32 PM
I can relate. I have a really old bottle of Meguiar's ScratchX that has become a lot more runny over the past 2 years or so that I've had it. I could have sworn that the ScratchX was much thicker, like a lotion, when I first purchased it.

Either way, it worked fine last time I used it so I'm not really sure.

VISITOR
07-26-2009, 03:27 AM
if it's still watery even after you shake the dickens out of it, just toss it (you can try using it and see if the performance has been degraded). i've had a few polishes go bad and they were seperated and beyond usable. i shake my products at least once a month for this reason. it hurts to have to throw away detailing products... :(

corolla619
07-26-2009, 03:42 AM
if it's still watery even after you shake the dickens out of it, just toss it (you can try using it and see if the performance has been degraded). i've had a few polishes go bad and they were seperated and beyond usable. i shake my products at least once a month for this reason. it hurts to have to throw away detailing products... :(

expired or not, it shouldn't hurt my paint correct? i did still use it. my paint still looks great, just never seen/had this happen.

belcherm58
07-26-2009, 04:25 AM
I have had this happen. It has separated. I bet if you pour the thin stuff in another bottle, you will see thick clumps of paste which are the abrasives that do the paint correction when you buff. Won't hurt your paint but won't do much correction. You can keep shaking it to see if you can get the abrasives mixed back in. Be sure and pour the thin stuff back in the bottle if you pour any out to find the thick clumps.

ScottB
07-26-2009, 08:21 AM
shake well , very well --- then consider the sign as its time to upgrade to new polishes. Might just be the time for Menzerna or Megs newest offerings.

corolla619
07-26-2009, 12:24 PM
shake well , very well --- then consider the sign as its time to upgrade to new polishes. Might just be the time for Menzerna or Megs newest offerings.

very true. just figured i'd use the stuff on my shelf one last time. now even though the product seperated, it shouldn't hurt my paint right? i used a sealant after wards and once cured topped with fuzion. i should be in good shape i assume?

blkexcoupe
07-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Another 9th gen member. :)

How old was the polish? I have some 2 year old menzerna in the garage...I wonder if I should check on it?

Rsurfer
07-26-2009, 04:55 PM
very true. just figured i'd use the stuff on my shelf one last time. now even though the product seperated, it shouldn't hurt my paint right? i used a sealant after wards and once cured topped with fuzion. i should be in good shape i assume?
OMG your paint will start to bubble. J/k you should be fine.