PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber vs. Wool Mitt

Pages : [1] 2

CEE DOG
07-25-2009, 03:27 PM
For Washing... The title says it all! Which one is safest for my car? I've been using Microfiber but I am considering Wool after all the things I am reading. Please post your comments.

belcherm58
07-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Are you talking about for washing?

CEE DOG
07-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Yes, my apologies

:cheers:

belcherm58
07-25-2009, 04:02 PM
I used some microfiber for washing before and did not really like it.
If you have dropped one on the ground, you will see how hard it is to
pick the junk out of it. Wool is very soft and works well. Some are very loyal to wool mitts. I have recently been using the natural sea sponges.They are very nice. You have to clean them thoroughly when you first get them as they have sand in them. I am getting ready to
purchase a ShMitt as I see that a lot of the detailers here love them.

Emile
07-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Lake Country Grout Sponge, I swear by them. I only use microfiber wash mitts (the Cobra Micro-Chenille Mitt) for side skirts, and under the front and rear.

ScottB
07-25-2009, 04:11 PM
MF, Chenille, or Sheepskin is the way to go ....

loudog2
07-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Dodo has a new mitt coming out next week(the wookie fist).

ryandamartini
07-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Right now I am using these strange fuzzy creatures I found at my local autozone. 4$ a pop and work very nicely. No scratch or marring.

A4 1.8tqm
07-27-2009, 03:07 PM
I also swear by Lake Country Grout Sponge's, with $1.50 home depot grout sponges for the lowers/wheel wells. They just rinse clean so easily. I don't like Microfiber for washing at all.

I really want to try out the red LC Ulti-mits, but I'm put off from them because they're one sided. Any one use Ulti-mits? Is the backside usable?

Feed back please

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
07-27-2009, 04:15 PM
I like using the MF "dread lock style" mitts they hold a lot of soap glide across the paint and release all the dirt with a quick scrub on the grit guard.

tenorplayer23
07-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Just my two cents worth of input from emperical date I collected recently. Of course, all this depends on the brand, so it is specific to a particular manufacturer.

I did the "CD scratch test" on a variety of mitts I have (and a few MF towels that I had) plus a few in local stores.

Of the mitts I already own, the following "failed" :( :

> Synthetic "sheep skin" mitt
> Two brands of "real sheep skin mitts" (one was cheap so perhaps not unexpected, the other was much more expensive and did surprise me)
> A cotton chenille mitt (to a lesser extent)

So, I went to the local big box store to try a few others, since I was so disappointed.

The following mitts "passed" the CD scratch test :) :

> A short pile MF mitt (similar surface texture & pile height to a good MF towel) in Electric Green :)
> A long strand MF chenille-type mitt in Day Glow Orange :)
> An MF covered sponge

Plus, all the MF towels I have passed the test, including the cheaper ones from a warehouse club.

So, who knew...................?

Next, I'll have to try the Lake grout sponge, etc.. :work:

See ya http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/seeya.gif

Blackthorn One
07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
I once read that sheepskin mitts drag dirt across the paint and that chenille was the best, and the cheapest. That was before MF, though.

Matt
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Wool mitt

This is safer for the paint as when you dip it into your bucket of clean water 2 bucket method) it releases the dirt and grit easier than the microfiber (think of a microfiber cloth that's been dropped on the ground).

gwilo
07-27-2009, 10:07 PM
I am going to try the ShMitt and it will be on my next order. I have used syn wool and wool for years and have ended up with swirls.

With the wool (& syn) mitt I have always rinsed it before putting it back in the soap and never let it touch the bottom of the pale.

Time to try something new :)

CEE DOG
07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
I sure wish I could get some kind of consensus from the pros out there. I guess everybody has a different opinion! Genuine wool mitt or Microfiber chenille Mitt?!? The Genuine wool mitt seems to release the dirt easier according to what I have read. What is the downside? Price? Longevity? Not as soft on the Paint? I have only used the Microfiber and was getting ready to purchase the BOGO cobra chennille mitts but I want to get this right!
How about this boars hair brush? I see it being advertised to wash the car! I hadn't seen anybody talking about that. Does anybody do this? Pricey Eh?

I thought I read the foam wash brushes dragged dirt particles against the paint (didn't have anywhere for them to go)