PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar - any real difference?

Pages : [1] 2

harshest
07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Is there any real difference in any of the clay bars out there? I am talking about items such as Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay, Pinnacle XMT Speed Clay, Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay, DP Universal Detailing Clay, Griot's Garage Paint Cleaning Clay or Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Bar. Are any of these more aggressive than one another?

I am not talking about such products as Meguiar's mild or agressive clays since I know there is a difference with these compared with what is listed above.

I have used Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Bar and was satisfied but I am looking to try something different.

Feed back please

GXPWeasel
07-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I can't answer for anything but the Meguiars of the brands you mentioned. But I can say that I have also tried Mothers clay bar kit, and it seemed to work well, or as well as the Meguiars Smooth kit. I have also used the Meguiars aggressive clay, and I can say that it will be more (aggressive) on the paint and contaminants that are attached to the paint. I wouldn't use the aggressive unless you plan on polishing afterwards, as I have found that I have a better chance of marring after the more agressive clay.

One question though? If you are happy with the results of the Meguiars, why try something else?

Blackfire
07-23-2009, 03:45 PM
I just used the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay for the first time. I had been using Meguiar's product. The Meguair clay was firm and less pliable. It worked well.

The Pinnacle is more pliable and softer. I like those features because IMO it allows the contaminants to penetrate deeper into the clay, thereby protecting the paint from any scratching.

It's easy to fold into itself also.

I'm very happy with the results on my wife's black car.

Emile
07-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay is supposed to be soft for frequent use. Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay is supposed to hard for tough contamination.

harshest
07-23-2009, 03:49 PM
One question though? If you are happy with the results of the Meguiars, why try something else?

No real reason, I just like to try different products and since I will be in the market for new clay I thought I would see what else there is.

Blackfire
07-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay is supposed to be soft for frequent use. Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay is supposed to hard for tough contamination.

Exactly. That's why I use it. My cars are newer with little contamination between polish/waxes.

I prefer to clay while washing instead of the lubricants. The Pinnacle Poly works great with a slick soap like Gold Class or Shampoo Plus.

ScottB
07-23-2009, 04:45 PM
most clays are relatively similar in design, but could be more abrasive. I think it has something to do with the Claymajic patents.

SRHTX
07-23-2009, 06:35 PM
most clays are relatively similar in design, but could be more abrasive. I think it has something to do with the Claymajic patents.

I will hide all the clay bars I have. :D

ryandamartini
07-23-2009, 07:18 PM
most are about the same except for meguiars aggressive clay I do believe.

harshest
07-23-2009, 08:21 PM
That is kind of what I thought...but want to ask anyways.

GriotsGarage
07-24-2009, 06:01 PM
to chime in here a bit, there are some slight differences among all the clay bars out there. The biggest difference between them is the abrasiveness. While I cant speak for any of our competitors, ours is extremely mild and one of the most mild on the market.

Which ever bar you choose, look for one that is pliable but not gooey and easy to use on your paint. Also, watch what you use as a lubricant as some lubricants can be a bit of a pain to use, either too agressive like water or too slipppery, like car wash soap, however each clay bar should come with reccomendations on what product works best!

Jimmie
07-24-2009, 08:19 PM
I will hide all the clay bars I have. :D

HAHAHA good one. Because of the patent or the magic? I will make mine disappear :D.

SRHTX
07-24-2009, 08:33 PM
HAHAHA good one. Because of the patent or the magic? I will make mine disappear :D.

I guess you could say BOTH. :cheers:

wytstang
07-24-2009, 09:51 PM
I think something is wrong with mine?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/wytstang/SmartClay002Medium.jpg
:D

Emile
07-24-2009, 10:04 PM
wytstang, which clay is that?

And how could there be any patents from ClayMagic? It was invented by some Japanese dude...unless Clay Magic is Japanese but I thought they are a United States company.