PDA

View Full Version : what should I use on the lip of my wheels?

05xrunner
07-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Ok so I have the polished lip on my wheels..But they seem to be very soft and scratch easy. tehre is alot of very very very fine marring on them..is there any product i can use to buff them out to clean it up. I was looking at the Wolfgang metalWerk. Or should I just not touch them and just use my poorboys wheel sealant on them and thats it?
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/05Xrunner/Xrunner/JOND1101.jpg

ryandamartini
07-21-2009, 10:03 AM
you can shine up your lip if you would like :) then go ahead and put on the wheel guard stuff.

05xrunner
07-21-2009, 10:07 AM
I am asking though..what would be the best polish should I use...I dont want to use something that is going to make them turn out worse. I tried the mothers mag & aluminum polish before and it didnt turn black like it was supposed to so instructions say dont use it on there then.

ryandamartini
07-21-2009, 10:17 AM
I am asking though..what would be the best polish should I use...I dont want to use something that is going to make them turn out worse. I tried the mothers mag & aluminum polish before and it didnt turn black like it was supposed to so instructions say dont use it on there then.

The mag and aluminum polish didnt work well on the lip? Weird, I have always had good luck with that stuff. I guess just look up some good metal polishes?

05xrunner
07-21-2009, 10:32 AM
well I didnt really use it much..i tried it on one wheel..it said on the can the polish should turn black..If it does not turn black do not use and its not a polish able metal. I didnt wanna make them worse

christian900se
07-21-2009, 11:00 AM
If it does not turn black do not use and its not a polish able metal.

That might mean they are clearcoated, so I would stop using metal polishes unless you know they are bare metal.

RaskyR1
07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
I like using ZAIO or KAIO on the lip of those stle wheels.

DLB
07-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Assuming they are not clear coated:
I have found that the Mother's Billet Polish is an astounding product. I have used it on Billet to bare aluminum with great results. Remember though, it is a polish, so in order for it to be effective, it isn't a wipe on wife off application.

With proper application, I have removed some fairly severe scratches (not deep) with success. And it definitely leaves a high shine.

Mothers Billet Metal Polish @ Autogeek (http://www.autogeek.net/motbilmetpol.html)

05xrunner
07-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I use poorboys wheel sealant on them. Since they might be clearcoted. Should I try my megs swirl remover 2.0 to try and remove the marring on them?

drastic_detail
07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
I use DG 501. Works great for me. Leaves behind a sealent too.

ScottB
07-21-2009, 04:37 PM
As offered you really need to assess the wheel lip being coated or uncoated. Either way you can use DP or Poorboys Wheel Sealant products but what will differ is the type of polish used to bring metal back up prior to coating. (metal polish = uncoated , paint polish = coated)

gwilo
07-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Do a google search on the Brand/Model of wheel there must be info on if it is clearcoat or not.

05xrunner
07-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Do a google search on the Brand/Model of wheel there must be info on if it is clearcoat or not.
I have looked..on mfg website...other sites and non of them say that..I guess I will have to call them. but if the mothers mag alum. polish didnt turn black like itts supposed to on the metal..makes me think it might be clearcoated