PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Wheel Ding...feedback wanted

k4df4l
07-21-2009, 09:23 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/k4df4l/photo-2.jpg

Drove home from work and found this scuff on my wheel at the end of the trip. You can see that the debris radiate outward from the center of the wheel. There is not scuffing or contact on the tire/lip other than the debris that you can see (I rubbed it with my finger to make sure and that's why it appears different than the rest of the tire).

My nearest guess is that a rock must have spun up into the wheel while it was rotating and hit the rim going outward...any other guesses what happened? Any suggestions on what I should do to minimize the appearance of the scuff and keep the wheel clear coat from further damage in that area?

Emile
07-21-2009, 10:24 AM
It looks like you hit a curb because a rock wouldn't cause that scuffing on the tire like that.

You should get some color-matching wheel paint and fill in the scratch. It won't look perfect but it should stop the damage from getting worse over time.

k4df4l
07-21-2009, 10:31 AM
It definitely wasn't a curb...all back roads. The impact is going from the center of the wheel straight out.

That's actually not scuffing on the tire, it's dust/debris/ radiating outward from the center of the wheel. The tire is otherwise untouched.

Thanks for the painting suggestion...it didn't occur :)

Emile
07-21-2009, 10:35 AM
If it was backroads then it has to be some kind of minor pothole that you didn't feel but your vehicle hit.

I believe Autogeek sells the Wurth Silver Spray Wheel Paint. It's an OEM color-match for German wheel paint, assuming this vehicle is your GTI.

I suggest spraying the Silver Spray into a cup and using a very small paint brush to fill in the scratch. Apply several coats to the scratch so that the scratch becomes level with the wheel surface...if it's deep, you may want to first consider filling it with Bondo or Spot putty or whatever that stuff is and then do the painting. After that, you can gently sand it down with fine sandpaper to blend it in better and apply a few coats of the Wurth High Gloss Clear Lacquer Spray to get the best match.

I have tried this method before and I am no artist so it came out pretty horrible but it was much better than just leaving the scratch alone.

k4df4l
07-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a friend at the dealer parts counter who can get all the factory paint on the cheap so I see what he might have in stock first.